Collapse

Blue Jays - 2022

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Jays - 2022

Earlier this week, I read that Aaron Judge is not vaccinated. If that's so, and if he remains with the Yankees, then we won't have to worry about that beast when the Yankees play us in Toronto. A bit of a mixed blessing, I'd say.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    Earlier this week, I read that Aaron Judge is not vaccinated. If that's so, and if he remains with the Yankees, then we won't have to worry about that beast when the Yankees play us in Toronto. A bit of a mixed blessing, I'd say.
    Unless I am misunderstanding things, he may not even be able to play at home in New York, if he continues to refuse vaccination.

Comment

Matt Chapman? Sweet. Now a 2nd baseman and I'm loving it.

Comment

I don't know a lot about Chapman, except that he's an exceptional fielder. That alone is a good thing.

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
        Matt Chapman? Sweet. Now a 2nd baseman and I'm loving it.
        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Great fielder but his bat last year was Grichuk like, probably worse

Comment

Originally posted by OBBlues View Post
            Great fielder but his bat last year was Grichuk like, probably worse
            On the other hand, in 2018 and 2019 he was excellent offensively. How much his lat tear at the end of 2020 affected him in 2021, I don't know, but if his offence returns to earlier norms (he's only 29), then this is a guy who posted WAR higher than Semien did for us last year. That'll do.

Even with the Grichuk-like offence last year, his defence at a key position pushed his fWAR to 3.4. Most are projecting him to do at least that well in 2022. I like the trade even with last year's offence. I like it a hell of a lot more if last year was an aberration.

Comment

For now, Aaron Judge can't play in Toronto or New York City . . .
              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post

Unless I am misunderstanding things, he may not even be able to play at home in New York, if he continues to refuse vaccination.
                'Tis so! And I'm not sure what NYC considers fully vaccinated, but someone calculated that, using Ontario's standard, it will take at least 35 days from the time he gets his first shot.

We have three games with the Yankees in April. If the math is right, Judge will be unavailable.

Chris Sale, too, is unvaccinated, so we might see him when we play in Boston for three games, but it seems he won't be able to come to Canada for the four-game set at the end of April.

Some people thought it was pretty funny that the Jays had two years of COVID-related border nightmare. I'm finally appreciating the humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post

'Tis so! And I'm not sure what NYC considers fully vaccinated, but someone calculated that, using Ontario's standard, it will take at least 35 days from the time he gets his first shot.

We have three games with the Yankees in April. If the math is right, Judge will be unavailable.

Chris Sale, too, is unvaccinated, so we might see him when we play in Boston for three games, but it seems he won't be able to come to Canada for the four-game set at the end of April.

Some people thought it was pretty funny that the Jays had two years of COVID-related border nightmare. I'm finally appreciating the humour.
                  Might not have to worry about Sale for awhile.

"Red Sox starting pitcher Chris Sale will miss the start of the 2022 MLB season due to a stress fracture in his ribcage, Sale and the team told reporters on Wednesday. As for any sort of timetable for the return of the lanky lefty, it's anyone's guess at this time. Sale himself said as much."
                  G410 Plus 10.5*
                  G410 3W 16*
                  G400 7W 20.5*
                  G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                  G400 5 - UW
                  Glide 3.0 54/14 WS, 58/10 SS
                  SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)
                  Anser TR 1966

Comment

On the other hand, in 2018 and 2019 he was excellent offensively. How much his lat tear at the end of 2020 affected him in 2021, I don't know, but if his offence returns to earlier norms (he's only 29), then this is a guy who posted WAR higher than Semien did for us last year. That'll do.

Even with the Grichuk-like offence last year, his defence at a key position pushed his fWAR to 3.4. Most are projecting him to do at least that well in 2022. I like the trade even with last year's offence. I like it a hell of a lot more if last year was an aberration.
                    He will improve Bichette's defence, Bo won't have to range in to the hole as much.

Apparently Chapman had the same issue's as Semien and Olson had with high fastballs, Semien and Olson figured it out and are friends with Chapman. I'm optimistic his offence sees an uptick and it's probably easier to hit dingers at Rogers Center.
                    G410 Plus 10.5*
                    G410 3W 16*
                    G400 7W 20.5*
                    G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                    G400 5 - UW
                    Anser TR 1966

Comment

Ed Sprague was on with Blair and Barker today.

We just had Oakland A's director of player development Ed Sprague on the show. He described Matt Chapman as "the best defender in Blue Jays history."
                      G410 Plus 10.5*
                      G410 3W 16*
                      G400 7W 20.5*
                      G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                      G400 5 - UW
                      Anser TR 1966

Comment

Freeman to the Dodgers . . . done . . . Chapman is better as Vladdy stays at 1st . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                          Freeman to the Dodgers . . . done . . . Chapman is better as Vladdy stays at 1st . . .
                          I agree, Chapman is going to make for less wear and tear on Vladdy, lot less stretching and diving for throws coming from third base.
                          G410 Plus 10.5*
                          G410 3W 16*
                          G400 7W 20.5*
                          G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                          G400 5 - UW
                          Anser TR 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                            When we cut into it, that's one of multiple reasons why the Chapman deal makes more sense than signing Freeman.

If we allow that last year Chapman's bat was affected by recovery from hip surgery, it's worth noting that Freeman's fWAR has never reached what Chapman's was in his healthy years.

And it's also worth remembering that we're only committed to Chapman for two years; a Freeman contract would have negatively affected our ability to extend Vlad and others.

Comment

When we cut into it, that's one of multiple reasons why the Chapman deal makes more sense than signing Freeman.

If we allow that last year Chapman's bat was affected by recovery from hip surgery, it's worth noting that Freeman's fWAR has never reached what Chapman's was in his healthy years.

And it's also worth remembering that we're only committed to Chapman for two years; a Freeman contract would have negatively affected our ability to extend Vlad and others.
                              Another thing to consider . . . that Jays line-up is awesome. I am sure Chapman will see better pitches than he saw last year. We can hope for a good year from him.

We saw what Siemen did with this line-up . . .

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X