No announcement yet.
Collapse

January 6 Select Committee Hearings.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listened to a CBC interview clip with Bob Woodward in which Mr. Woodward opined that this Watergate breaking, not being a backyard issue about the economy or similar, would probably not effect the outcome of the elections.

A lot of the public felt that dirty tricks were part of politics and sometimes needed "to get the job done".
    In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

In light of the conduct that marked Trump and company's activities related to the 6th of January, a look back at Nixon and team's Watergate criminality is more than fitting. Professor Heather Cox Richardson, as always, has provided us with a nice summary of the latter. One thing that strikes me is that the playbook for these crooks is always the same. Deny, lie, obsfuscate and blame someone else.

Early in the morning on June 17, 1972, Frank Wills, a 24-year-old security guard at the Watergate Office Building in Washington, D.C., noticed that a door lock had been taped open. He ripped off the tape and closed the door, but when he went on the next round, he found the door taped open again. He called the police, who found five burglars in the Democratic National Committee headquarters located in the building.

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
      Just listened to a CBC interview clip with Bob Woodward in which Mr. Woodward opined that this Watergate breaking, not being a backyard issue about the economy or similar, would probably not effect the outcome of the elections.

A lot of the public felt that dirty tricks were part of politics and sometimes needed "to get the job done".
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I will be interested to see if the political courage exists to indict

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post
          I will be interested to see if the political courage exists to indict
          You never know, by my guess is that there is not enough support from the republicans for that to happen. Contrast that with Republican reaction as details on Watergate emerged.

What has come out so far in these hearings is that the inner circle of Republicans knew the seriousness of what Trump was pushing, yet they continue to deny what they so obviously initially stated in private publicly.
          In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
          and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post

You never know, by my guess is that there is not enough support from the republicans for that to happen. Contrast that with Republican reaction as details on Watergate emerged.

What has come out so far in these hearings is that the inner circle of Republicans knew the seriousness of what Trump was pushing, yet they continue to deny what they so obviously initially stated in private publicly.
            The US public distrust of the government has been building for quite some time. Trump successfully tap into it with his "drain the swamp" rhetoric, then added more to the pot with his conspiracies. So now he owns a solid base of supporters within the GOP. Nixon never had that.

Comment

If the committee provides witness transcripts and/or makes specific referrals to the DoJ, there is nothing that 'the Republicans' can do about it. These would not be impeachments, but instead would be criminal cases which could end up in the federal court system.

Comment

Originally posted by hackerhare View Post

The US public distrust of the government has been building for quite some time. Trump successfully tap into it with his "drain the swamp" rhetoric, then added more to the pot with his conspiracies. So now he owns a solid base of supporters within the GOP. Nixon never had that.
                Nixon had a solid based of Republican supporters. Trump has a solid base of Trump supporters. It appears they would not care what party or party name Trump campaigned under.

And Nixon's Republican Party still had a majority of members/supporters who believed in American, believed in democracy, believed in 'the rule of law, believed in the American Constitution, and in many cases had fought against 'evil' and fascism and understood the end result of fascism. They would have nothing to do with neo-nazis or their ilk. AT that time members of both parties were also willing to accept that the USSR was an enemy of/threat to democracy.

Comment

Saw this link. Am I out of date or is this something yet to be seen by the public?

Comment

It's the old version of MSN homepage.
                    Many people are not happy with EDGE because of its clickbait loaded homepage. MS makes it look as if the slightly more benign old version is still available to you as an alternate homepage.
                    But once you sign in, it will try to persuade you move you into EDGE.

Classic bait and switch.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                      Many people are not happy with EDGE because of its clickbait loaded homepage. MS makes it look as if the slightly more benign old version is still available to you as an alternate homepage.

Classic bait and switch.
                      You can personalize the view on the Edge homepage by choosing "headings only". Leaves you with the search bar in the middle of a graphic.

Headlines with no graphics are listed along the bottom.

For sign in I set up an icon linking to DuckDuckGo, a search engine that does not track you. DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified.

Does not totally eliminate Edge homepage from creeping in, but helps.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

Classic bait and switch.
                        Hmmm, that was not the link I tried to post. It was to an article but now I don’t remember which one it was. I think now that it was a story about the documentary footage taken in the WH that is linked in the Citizen Trump thread.

Comment

The “great negotiator” is realizing that he forgot the first rule. You can’t negotiate if you aren’t represented at the table. Oops!

Donald Trump is growing increasingly irritated with the House panel investigating the January 6, 2021, riot as it lifts the curtain on some of its findings with public hearings that have garnered gavel-to-gavel cable coverage -- much to the annoyance of the TV-obsessed former President.

Comment

I found yesterday's testimony, especially that regarding the actions of Senator Johnson's chief of staff pretty compelling. There is no way Sean Riley acted without Johnson's knowledge.

Comment

I don't think this is going away.

Federal investigators subpoenaed the Georgia Republican Party chairman for information related to the fake elector scheme there – as the Justice Department has issued a fresh round of subpoenas to people from several states who acted as rogue electors after the 2020 presidential election, multiple sources familiar with the situation told CNN.

The GOP lacked the courage to sanction Trump, I hope the DOJ does not.

Comment

Many familiar with the Watergate scandal will recall the shockwaves caused when a relatively unknown White House aide confirmed the existence of a secret recording system in the Oval Office. This revelation changed everything because it provided hard and direct evidence of Nixon's involvement in the Watergate break-in and the ensuing cover-up, among other things, and it also supported John Dean's testimony that he advised Nixon of the illegality of those operations.

So, the recent revelation that British documentary crew has 11 hours of video footage from inside the White House taken in the days before and after the January 6th Insurrection may end up being the equivalent to the Watergate Tapes. Additional and direct non-testimonial evidence of Trump being repeatedly advised that the 'false electors' scheme was illegal may be enough to remove lingering doubts among Trump's supporters regarding what he knew similar to what happened to Nixon supporters in 1974.

Will this be the final straw? I strongly doubt it. However, this new evidence may precipitate the next wave of those willing to cooperate with the Committee and tell what they know, if for no other reason than to be able to say that they did so when the final history of this affair is being written (as it surely will).

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X