Cheers
    Frasier
    WKRP
    Newhart
    All In The Family
    Yes Minister
    Fawlty Towers
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Good call on The MMM. Great show! The episodes in the Adirondacks in season two were gold!

Comment

I agree. They were genius in my estimation.

Originally posted by 51Phantom View Post

Good call on The MMM. Great show! The episodes in the Adirondacks in season two were gold!
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

SCTV
        KIds in the Hall
        in Living Colour
        Men Behaving Badly - the American version
        South Park
        Robot Chicken
        anything with Alan Partridge

Comment

Have nothing else to add, as all my favourites have been mentioned several times. But I have one question. I see a lot of love for All in the Family. What exactly are we revering here? Let’s be honest, he betrayed a racist misogynistic *****. My dad loved that show, and I totally get that.
          ……

In the Hoofer, 10 clubs I regularly practice, and can actually hit…..

Comment

Originally posted by Sophos View Post
            Have nothing else to add, as all my favourites have been mentioned several times. But I have one question. I see a lot of love for All in the Family. What exactly are we revering here? Let’s be honest, he betrayed a racist misogynistic *****. My dad loved that show, and I totally get that.
            It was ground breaking for its day.
            Addressing issues that no other sitcoms would touch.

It was originally based on a British Show 'Till Death Do Us Part'.
            Norman Lear is a 'liberal'. Carroll O'Connor who portrayed Archie Bunker was quite 'left leaning'.

They used the show to 'skewer' conservative thinkers of the era.

Comment

That was the whole point, it showed how stupid you look when you are a racist. It should be rated the best as it was groundbreaking and the acting was superb.

Comment

Thanks for the context. I only saw it in syndication, and could never really get the point beyond the obvious. I guess another addition to a very long list of shows/songs/movies that have aged poorly, or were very context dependant.

Last edited by Sophos; Aug 2, 2022, 09:46 PM.
                ……

In the Hoofer, 10 clubs I regularly practice, and can actually hit…..

Comment

Originally posted by okgndave View Post

That was the whole point, it showed how stupid you look when you are a racist. It should be rated the best as it was groundbreaking and the acting was superb.
                  Agreed. While still available in syndication today (Prime?), I still think it would be impossible to make and promote in today's overly sensitive climate where context and intent are becoming irrelevant.

I am not a big TV watcher but the ones I found memorable for my time are:

Simpsons
                  Night Court
                  Seinfeld
                  In Living Color
                  The Goldbergs
                  Big Bang Theory

My 2 kids are deep into Friends currently, which I hated back when it was on. I find myself laughing more at it now.
                  Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Thanks for the context. I only saw it in syndication, and could never really get the point beyond the obvious. I guess another addition to a very long list of shows/songs/movies that have aged poorly, or were very context dependant.

I watched it when it originally aired and it was such an interesting dynamic. It made you laugh at the bigoted/racist comments and then feel guilty afterwards. It was different times then and I this show was certainly cutting edge and I think much more cerebral than it appears.

The Sammy Davis episode is a classic.

Comment

Way too easy to just point to the early 90's and Seinfeld, Cheers..... Friends was good, but certainly way over-rated.

Curb may have some of the best episodes ever (Palestinian Chicken being my favourite), though there are times Larry David just went too far.

Arrested Development was a few years too early or would have been the perfect Nextflix/HBO staple.

As for ensemble shows, SCTV and though only 8 episodes, The Ben Stiller Show.

A few more to add and not mentioned 30 Rock & Brooklyn 99

Comment

I agree with everything except for Big Bang.. just NO. NO NO NO NO!

Originally posted by xrox View Post

Agreed. While still available in syndication today (Prime?), I still think it would be impossible to make and promote in today's overly sensitive climate where context and intent are becoming irrelevant.

I am not a big TV watcher but the ones I found memorable for my time are:

Simpsons
                        Night Court
                        Seinfeld
                        In Living Color
                        The Goldbergs
                        Big Bang Theory

My 2 kids are deep into Friends currently, which I hated back when it was on. I find myself laughing more at it now.

Comment

I’ll add to the list if not already mentioned. Hogan’s Heroes, Petticoat Junction, The Monkees (for the music not the comedy), Carol Burnett Show.

Not sure if was a regular scheduled show but the Jimmy Glick interviews were extremely funny.

My wife loved That 70s Show.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X