/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

US Customs Asks Woman if she has had an abortion.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Customs Asks Woman if she has had an abortion.

While I respect a country can control its borders, asking a woman if she is pregnant is questionable, whether she had an abortion crosses a line.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aust...fficial-2022-7

Don't want to let potential murderers into through your country now do you?
    In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

So sad.
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I would have thought that HIPPA laws would not allow someone to be asked a question like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
          So sad.
          Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post
            I would have thought that HIPPA laws would not allow someone to be asked a question like that.
            It does seem to be a very odd question however I don't see how Hippa would apply. Borders are a civil rights grey zone in most countries. Where else can the government have unfetterred access to all of your personal data and online accounts if they decide to ask?

Comment

There are a number of things regarding this story that make no sense to me, not the least of which is a US customs official asking an Aussie whether she was pregnant and whether she’d had an abortion.

Originally posted by Bern View Post
              While I respect a country can control its borders, asking a woman if she is pregnant is questionable, whether she had an abortion crosses a line.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aust...fficial-2022-7
              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post
                How is that any different than asking somebody's vaccination status? The ship carrying privacy rights, especially for medical information, has sailed.

Comment

The situations are entirely different in my estimation. The state can make a compelling argument in favour of why asking about one’s vaccination status, especially during a pandemic. Here the health and safety of others may be implicated. No such argument can be made in the state’s favour with respect to asking about a woman’s pregnancy or whether she’s had an abortion.

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

How is that any different than asking somebody's vaccination status? The ship carrying privacy rights, especially for medical information, has sailed.
                  This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                    The situations are entirely different in my estimation. The state can make a compelling argument in favour of why asking about one’s vaccination status, especially during a pandemic. Here the health and safety of others may be implicated. No such argument can be made in the state’s favour with respect to asking about a woman’s pregnancy or whether she’s had an abortion.
                    I'm quite sure he knew that.

(At least I sure hope so.... )
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post

Once you begin to justify when it’s pragmatic and when it’s not, it becomes politically divisive. Its one OR the other. Either we have accept that we have privacy with regards to medical
                      information, or we don’t, especially at an international border crossing.

Comment

Once you begin to justify when it’s pragmatic and when it’s not, it becomes politically divisive. Its one OR the other. Either we have accept that we have privacy with regards to medical
                        information, or we don’t, especially at an international border crossing.
                        In the event of a worldwide pandemic, laws were passed mandating vaccinations for entry into the country. Vaccinations have been required for decades when applying for visas to enter countries. Someone's past medical history pertaining to abortion should have no impact on a person's ability to enter a country. The only reason I can think why this question would be asked is political.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

In the event of a worldwide pandemic, laws were passed mandating vaccinations for entry into the country. Vaccinations have been required for decades when applying for visas to enter countries. Someone's past medical history pertaining to abortion should have no impact on a person's ability to enter a country. The only reason I can think why this question would be asked is political.
                          The difference with requiring proof of covid vaccination was…. Not political?

Comment

The difference with requiring proof of covid vaccination was…. Not political?
                            Never has been, just good science.

Comment

One of my employees was travelling by car to Nashville a couple weeks ago for a cheerleading competition with her teenage daughter and was turned away at the border by US Customs for being unvaxxed. When she told me I was shocked that they asked or would even care.
                              Turns out it was just the excuse they used to deny entry.
                              Apparently she checked off a lotta boxes on the drug smuggling checklist.
                              She’s very thin, very nervous at the best of times so I imagine she was off the charts nervous at the border, she had rented a car for the trip versus using her own, her daughter has a different last name than her and she had not booked a hotel in Nashville.
                              According to a buddy who has worked Homeland Security she could not have done much more to announce that she was crossing the border to smuggle drugs back in.
                              So the dude at the border simply said “you’re unvaxxed stay out.”
                              So I get the warning signs to the Customs Agent but that would suck being her and having the unvaxxed status used to deny entry when that was not the real reason.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X