Thanks for the memories Sir.
        In The Ogio
        Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
        Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
        Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
        Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
        Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
        MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

It’s hard to believe that he’s no longer with us. Rest In Peace, Mr. Scully.
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

To me, he was the voice of baseball. I remember Saturday afternoon games with Vin & Joe Garagiola; that's basically how I was introduced to the game as a kid. He had a great voice and an incomparable way of describing the action. And a real class act.
            R.I.P. Vin.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
              To me, he was the voice of baseball. I remember Saturday afternoon games with Vin & Joe Garagiola; that's basically how I was introduced to the game as a kid. He had a great voice and an incomparable way of describing the action. And a real class act.
              R.I.P. Vin.
              Says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                R.I.P. Vin.
                Well said. RIP Mr Scully . . .
                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

His call of Gibson's 1988 WS at-bat -- the entire at bat -- is the most beautiful sports play-by-play I've ever heard. From "Look who's coming up" to "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened." So many sports announcers try to put their stamp on everything; Vin just told us what he saw, but had a gift for language that elevated everything. He didn't need to get in the way of a moment to make a moment better. No "Santa Marias", no "Put it on the boards," no "See yas".

The other side of Vin's gift came when there were no big moments. You could be watching a meaningless game in which nothing is happening, and Vin would launch into a story about a fringe player's fishing trip or dental appointment, and would spread the story over a couple of innings, and you'd be completely riveted. I had an MLB audio subscription for years just so I could listen to the occasional Dodgers game and hear Vin at work.

Comment

Just a little outside. There is something to be said about being the very best at your craft. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                      His call of Gibson's 1988 WS at-bat -- the entire at bat -- is the most beautiful sports play-by-play I've ever heard. From "Look who's coming up" to "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened." I had an MLB audio subscription for years just so I could listen to the occasional Dodgers game and hear Vin at work.
                      Here is a link to that at bat.
                      The 'event'/at bat/call actually lasts for over 9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nwMDZYXTI

Comment

^^^ thanks for the link AD, just watched it in its entirety

A great announcer also knows when to shut-up and let the moment carry itself.
                        Vin was the best , RIP
                        WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS -> 12 Clubs
                        Titleist TSi2 10* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
                        Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
                        Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
                        Cleveland RTX4 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
                        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
                        Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

It’s too easy to call someone an all-time great. And frankly, we all do it too much too often. But there are all-time greats and there are those who truly belong on lists by themselves. They have had that kind of impact on sports or on society and in some cases both. It may sound cliched but some make the world a better place.

There have been many terrific baseball announcers over the years. There was only one Vin Scully. He didn’t broadcast baseball as much as he orated his own unscripted version of Shakespeare in the ballpark, every night, all summer long. He told stories. His own soliloquies. He related facts. The noise from the crowd was so often his colour man in the booth. He was lyrical. Years ago, someone said you could listen to Vin Scully read from the telephone book and you’d be intrigued and no one represented a team and a time the way Scully managed to.
                          - Steve Simmonds

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X