Collapse

Brittney Griner Sentenced

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brittney Griner Sentenced

Brittney Griner has been sentenced to 9 years in a penal colony and fined 9 million roubles.

A Russian court on Thursday sentenced U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner to nine years in prison after finding her guilty of deliberately bringing cannabis-infused vape cartridges into Russia despite them being illegal.
    TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Originally posted by WWFS View Post
    Brittney Griner has been sentenced to 9 years in a penal colony and fined 9 million roubles.
    The sentence does indeed seem harsh, I have to wonder what other people caught with similar amounts were sentenced to. Crossing borders is a touchy thing, while pot is legal in Canada, crossing the border with it isn't. Griner won't be the last to be caught up in US-Russia conflict, there appears to be some of that at play here as Russia uses her as a pawn to trade for an arms smuggler.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

The sentence does indeed seem harsh, I have to wonder what other people caught with similar amounts were sentenced to. Crossing borders is a touchy thing, while pot is legal in Canada, crossing the border with it isn't. Griner won't be the last to be caught up in US-Russia conflict, there appears to be some of that at play here as Russia uses her as a pawn to trade for an arms smuggler.
      I was wondering if they set her sentence deliberately high to make it a "roughly comparable" trade.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

I have not read everything about this article and agree that the sentence seems harsh. However, if you are travelling to a country like Russia, where it is well known that they do whatever they want, why would you take something deemed illegal there? She will be used as a bargaining chip in something down the road, but she has had a hell of a time and could for the foreseeable future.
        WITB
        9.5 Nike Covert
        15 TM Rocketballz
        3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
        52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
        TM White Smoke

Comment

Any travel into certain countries could have bad endings...Russia,China,N.Korea....

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I was wondering if they set her sentence deliberately high to make it a "roughly comparable" trade.
            Ding ding ding

and

9,000,000 Russian Ruble equals
            145,161.36 United States Dollar

Comment

Looks like she is not the only pro hoops player with bad judgement.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/08/04/im...N2fpjy6mLF9_tw

Former NBA player Iman Shumpert was arrested at the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport on Saturday for allegedly trying to bring six ounces of cannabis through security.

Comment

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
                I have not read everything about this article and agree that the sentence seems harsh. However, if you are travelling to a country like Russia, where it is well known that they do whatever they want, why would you take something deemed illegal there? She will be used as a bargaining chip in something down the road, but she has had a hell of a time and could for the foreseeable future.
                I have no doubt that there is a huge political factor involved in her arrest, trial, and sentencing. WTF was she thinking, going to a foreign country with an illegal substance.

In no way, am I trying to justify Russia's actions, but we're really not far past the time when arriving at the US border with the same substance and quantity would have got you multiple years in prison. We're even less removed from the time when if some poor schmuck forgot to take his crack pipe out of the van before he got to the border, would have faced an even more draconian sentence.
                TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Russian men resent lesbians stealing their women, and Putin's too short to play hoops without his horse ,ergo Russia's official vindictiveness against Grinders, I mean Griner.
                  things change

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                    Looks like she is not the only pro hoops player with bad judgement.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/08/04/im...N2fpjy6mLF9_tw

Former NBA player Iman Shumpert was arrested at the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport on Saturday for allegedly trying to bring six ounces of cannabis through security.
                    Apples to oranges...Shumpert's a tool, 6 ounces is a criminal amount to take over any kind of state line I'm sure...Griner had what equated to less than a gram and was, by her account, packed mistakenly as she was in a rush; that defense doesn't hold up in any court...but any reasonable judge, jury, whatever could probably ascertain that it might have been a mistake...1 gram doesn't really get most regular smokers very high, oh BTW she has a prescription for it.
                    International politics at it's best, she's been turned into a pawn.

Comment

Originally posted by silentrob View Post

Apples to oranges...Shumpert's a tool, 6 ounces is a criminal amount to take over any kind of state line I'm sure...Griner had what equated to less than a gram and was, by her account, packed mistakenly as she was in a rush; that defense doesn't hold up in any court...but any reasonable judge, jury, whatever could probably ascertain that it might have been a mistake...1 gram doesn't really get most regular smokers very high, oh BTW she has a prescription for it.
                      International politics at it's best, she's been turned into a pawn.
                      The prescription is irrelevant, it's illegal in Russia She had approx .75 grams of hash oil in two vape cartridges. That would be the equivalent of about 5 grams of good pot. Not a huge amount but still illegal. Everyone knows THC is a legal grey zone at best, certainly it's a huge no in terms of international travel. It was a poor decision that will cost her greatly.

Comment

This situation is similar to the situation between Canada/China a few years ago. China sentenced two men to jail for espionage, and we had the Huawei executive under house arrest. They founds the two men guilty so that they could get their high value lady back.
                        Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                        TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                        TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                        Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                        TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                        Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                        Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                        LAB Mezz, Accra
                        Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

I know it's apples to oranges ,but maybe it's time to view Midnight Express again to get a view of the consequences in some countries.
                          Last edited by bl8d; Aug 4, 2022, 04:25 PM.
                          things change

Comment

Wondering how many Americans are in the same situation she is in?

If she wasn't a celebrity would we even be talking about an exchange?

Comment

While I feel bad for her that she is in a Russian prison and not trust the Russians at all, the reality is she brought drugs into the country. The drugs are illegal in Russia. You’d think she should have been much more careful.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X