Collapse

Home water heater (boiler) recommendations

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home water heater (boiler) recommendations

Asked this originally in the fall in another thread without any responses.

Our insurance company is now refusing to renew our home policy unless we change our water heater.

It works perfectly (knock wood). But is quite old. Manufactured in Southern Ontario.

There are only 2 of us at home now. Do not plan to stay in this house more than another 5 years.
    Based on the home's age and location and what is going on in our neighbourhood whoever buys it almost certainly 'gut' it.

So the company that we have been 'renting' the water heater from for decades say that they will replace it with another rental, waive our rental fee for 6 months and we will have the same monthly rental payments.

Or we can upgrade to a tankless rental for about another $30 per month.

Or we can purchase from them and they will supply and install for about $1,600 with a one year warranty installation warranty and a manufacturer's warranty on the tank.

Our local independent HVAC says that if we purchase a water heater he will install it. His installation fee and the purchase price is about the same as from the 'big guys'.

What are your recommendations and/or experiences?

Take your monthly rental cost and multiply by the number of months you anticipate living in your current home. Then compare that to the $1600 price tag to buy a new one. Do the same calculation with the tankless, and subtract whatever energy savings they say the unit offers over a traditional tank (note that you won't likely realize quite what they claim). Once you have a firm handle on the cost of each option, it should be a fairly easy decision.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

What is the hardness of your water and do you have a water softener?

We have pretty hard water here in Calgary, and I know several folks that have had issues with tankless systems failing. Now, these were 15 + years ago as I haven’t looked lately, but I think you will want to investigate their reliability. One of the folks here at our cabin put in a tankless electric when he built 6 years ago. He recently had it yanked for a traditional tank this year due to failures. Water at Panorama here is crazy hard.

Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
      Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
      Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
      TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
      Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
      Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

I have a tankless system. I think for whatever I save in gas I make up for in water. It takes at least a couple of minutes for the water to heat up and get to the second story shower from the basement.

If your tank isn't prone to failure as noted above (Kitchener has very hard water) then I would buy and be done with it. The hot water tank rental market is a big scam in some places. I probably paid 3-4x the cost of buying one outright on my last house but being a new build I had no choice.

The one time I did have a problem, (the scald valve was gummed up with sediment IIRC), that wasn't covered as it wasn't part of the tank, even though it connects right to the tank.

The other thing to assess is if your tubing or whatever is all up to code as I recall them telling me the code had changed a number of years ago. That was going to be an additional expense.
        Last edited by Jeffc; Aug 6, 2022, 05:58 PM.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Had a gas rental unit. When it died rental company estimated something like 4 days to come out. Bought a unit and had it installed next day. Then they threatened to charge me if I disposed of their unit even though they wouldn't commit to come pick it up.

Don't rent. Sham.

Comment

The other thing to do every year or two, and I don’t think many do, is to replace the sacrificial rod every year or two. Prevents corrosion. I have 2 35 gallons tanks in series and both are 17 years old. I will be replacing within the next 12 months. Borrowed time and all.
            Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
            Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
            Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
            TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
            Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
            Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

I would rent and not worry about it given the short-term (<5years)nature of the rental. Make sure there is no clause guaranteeing a min term on the rental. Let it be the new homeowner's decision.

Comment

Save some cash AD put an electric one in , only two people in the house so unless you are using a load of hot water you will not recoup the cost of gas water heater in energy savings. If the plan is to sell most people don’t like rented or leased equipment. Plus I don’t think putting gas in vs electric will add much value when you decide to sell.

Comment

Replacing an electric Hot water heater is actually a job that you can do it yourself. I’ve replaced my own twice at the cottage and twice at each of the new house as we bought in Florida. You can buy the hot water heater itself from Home Depot or Lowe’s for around $700 the installation takes about half an hour.
                  Canada
                  Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
                  Titleist TS2 16.5*
                  Taylormade Rescue 22*
                  4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
                  52* Clevland RTX 4.0
                  56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
                  Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
                  Cobra F6
                  R7 15*
                  Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
                  Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
                  Vokey 56* 60*
                  Pyramid 34 “

Comment

Originally posted by Risky84 View Post
                    Save some cash AD put an electric one in , only two people in the house so unless you are using a load of hot water you will not recoup the cost of gas water heater in energy savings. If the plan is to sell most people don’t like rented or leased equipment. Plus I don’t think putting gas in vs electric will add much value when you decide to sell.
                    On the list of items that make a home sellable, the status of the hot water heater is well past 100 and has zero impact on the offer price.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake99 View Post
                      Replacing an electric Hot water heater is actually a job that you can do it yourself. I’ve replaced my own twice at the cottage and twice at each of the new house as we bought in Florida. You can buy the hot water heater itself from Home Depot or Lowe’s for around $700 the installation takes about half an hour.
                      Thanks. What type of power source/how much power does an electric water heat require?
                      Would it require new/more wiring?
                      Our panel is 'pretty full'.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Thanks. What type of power source/how much power does an electric water heat require?
                        Would it require new/more wiring?
                        Our panel is 'pretty full'.
                        Need 2 slots. Here’s our electric set up. Given my previous home owners preferences, this is a Home Depot special for sure
                        Attached Files

Comment

Our electric water heater is a 40 gallon and has 2 x 30 amp breakers.
                          Elements are 2 x 3000 watts.
                          What size breaker do I need for a 40 gallon water heater?
                          A 40-gallon water heater should have an average capacity of 4500 Watts and an emf of 240 volts. An appropriate 25 or 30A circuit breaker is therefore sufficient for a 40-gallon circuit breaker. However, for your own safety, we recommend that you purchase a 30A circuit breaker.
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                            Our electric water heater is a 40 gallon and has 2 x 30 amp breakers.
                            Elements are 2 x 3000 watts.
                            What size breaker do I need for a 40 gallon water heater?
                            A 40-gallon water heater should have an average capacity of 4500 Watts and an emf of 240 volts. An appropriate 25 or 30A circuit breaker is therefore sufficient for a 40-gallon circuit breaker. However, for your own safety, we recommend that you purchase a 30A circuit breaker.
                            Make sure you write the post before the second bottle of chianti.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X