Collapse

2022-23 NHL Season

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
    Police in Erie, Pennsylvania, filed charges of criminal mischief, criminal conspiracy to commit mischief and disorderly conduct against Carson Briere, who completed his third hockey season at Mercyhurst. Patrick Carrozzi, faces the same three charges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7A82C40-990F-4C84-A000-B23F1569818E.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	3644225
    If they did what they are accused of it is pretty despicable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

If they did what they are accused of it is pretty despicable.
      They did. It’s on video.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Popularity often coincides with influence.

Additionally the more viewers a show has the greater the advertising fees that they can charge.

Money and followers = influence.

Also some seem to have missed what Cathal Kelly's point was. That the NHL 'threw Reimer under the bus".
        The NHL advertises and endorses these events.
        NHL teams gain revenue by selling these 'commemorative' jerseys.

But they have left it up to the players to decide if they will participate.

And if they don't, then the players get questioned (literally and figuratively).

Ken Campbell in his column/blog today quotes Michael Coren.

However the best line is somewhat tongue in cheek'.

Good thing the Bible doesn’t say: “Thou shalt not gag up a three-goal lead to the Bruins in the third period of Game 7,” or Reimer could be sentenced to eternal damnation.
        Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Mar 20, 2023, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

They did. It’s on video.
          Some of the twitter comments were bizarre.
          “Cripples shouldn’t go to clubs or bars because they could create a hazard if there was a fire.”
          Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
          Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
          Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
          Ping G400 4H - 22*
          Ping G400 5 - UW
          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
          Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
          Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
            Popularity often coincides with influence.

Additionally the more viewers a show has the greater the advertising fees that they can charge.

Money and followers = influence.

Also some seem to have missed what Cathal Kelly's point was. That the NHL 'threw Reimer under the bus".
            The NHL advertises and endorses these events.
            NHL teams use revenue by selling these 'commemorative' jerseys to support “Hockey is for everyone” initiatives to make the game more inclusive. At least in the case of Pride night events. But also for their “Hockey Fights Cancer” nights for Cancer research and I’m sure Military night events for Vet support too.

But they have left it up to the players to decide if they will participate.

And if they don't, then the players get questioned (literally and figuratively).

Ken Campbell in his column/blog today quotes Reverend Michael Coren.

However the best line is somewhat tongue in cheek'.

Fixed it for you.

Comment

Fixed it for you.
              Fixed it real good.
              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
              Ping G400 4H - 22*
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Fixed it real good.
                Thank-you, I work with the Pride Tape guys and they absolutely can’y say enough good about NHL’s commitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Arthur, I get that some columnists have large followings, and many people care what they say and/or write. Good for them. My point was that I don’t care , and that we shouldn’t give too much weight to their opinions because they’re just that, an opinion. You know what they say about opinions, they’re like ********, everyone has one. I occasionally read Simmons because his Sunday column is entertaining, but without facts his opinions mean nothing to me. I’ve learned to care about the opinions of people close to me. I rely on facts to form my own opinion.
                  I chuckle at many of these columnists because they’re not accountable when they’re wrong.

By the way, I’ve heard of Tucker Carlson, but I have no idea what his opinions are. He is welcome to them. Who is Alex Jones? I’ve seen his name here, but that’s all I know
                  The logical fallacy is the “Appeal to Authority” fallacy…because he works for the Globe, and because the Globe has a large viewership, his opinion must be valid.

Not necessarily. And just because someone agrees with that opinion, doesn’t make it valid or correct in my mind….

While I enjoy reading AD’s opinions on a lot of things, as they are reasoned and well thought out, this logical fallacy crops up a lot in his and the posts of others, not just on this site, but virtually all chat sites and social media. It is an easy fallacy to commit, and is used frequently to support opinions/arguments. As always, we must debate the points made, don’t rely on the source as gospels unless they have some specific trained and tested expertise in a field.

Columnist and opinion writers are paid to attract eyeballs, frequently by being controversial. In many cases, the opinion espoused may in fact be contrary to the beliefs of the writer, but because it “sells” and attracts eyeballs, it is promulgated regardless. Tucker Carlson and FOX news are perfect examples of this where many FOX personalities expressed opinions off air that Trump was a danger and an idiot, his legal team were dangerous and stupid, the “steal” never happened, that narrative was dangerous to democracy and democratic institutions, but still gave those individuals significant time on air to espouse those same lies and conspiracy theories. FOX has millions of viewers. Arguably, by some measures, a top 2 news outlet. TC has millions of viewers. IMO, Tucker Carlsons opinions are not worthy of consideration.

4wedge, you are completely correct that columnist accountability is zero if their opinion turns out to be garbage.

I have a very dear high school friend who is a writer for a major Canadian print paper. He has written for the NP/FP, Financial Times Canada and Globe and Mail among others. 18 years ago, a new writer for his paper published an article taking the Province of British Columbia to task for using commodity derivatives to hedge their fuel costs for BC Ferries. He likened it to gambling (a common narrative)and making “bets” on commodity prices. I called my friend up and asked him if his paper would care that this writer had gotten a significant number of facts wrong, and 2, had no concept of the principles of risk management and that what the province was doing wasn’t “betting” but ensuring some predictability of future cash flow. “Nope, probably don’t care whatsoever” .

OK then, facts and professionalism here are secondary.
                  Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                  Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                  Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                  TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                  Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Fixed it for you.
                    Fixed as in completed. Not contradicting.

Kelly alleges that the NHL has tried to be all things to all people at the moment.

Rather than taking a stand as a league.
                    Thus hanging Reimer out to dry.

Have we seen/heard anything to refute that?

Should the NHL take a stand and force players to 'wear the ribbon'?

Is participating in these activities akin to standing for anthems?

Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Mar 20, 2023, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

The logical fallacy is the “Appeal to Authority” fallacy…because he works for the Globe, and because the Globe has a large viewership, his opinion must be valid.

Not necessarily. And just because someone agrees with that opinion, doesn’t make it valid or correct in my mind….

While I enjoy reading AD’s opinions on a lot of things, as they are reasoned and well thought out, this logical fallacy crops up a lot in his and the posts of others, not just on this site, but virtually all chat sites and social media. It is an easy fallacy to commit, and is used frequently to support opinions/arguments. As always, we must debate the points made, don’t rely on the source as gospels unless they have some specific trained and tested expertise in a field.

Columnist and opinion writers are paid to attract eyeballs, frequently by being controversial. In many cases, the opinion espoused may in fact be contrary to the beliefs of the writer, but because it “sells” and attracts eyeballs, it is promulgated regardless. Tucker Carlson and FOX news are perfect examples of this where many FOX personalities expressed opinions off air that Trump was a danger and an idiot, his legal team were dangerous and stupid, the “steal” never happened, that narrative was dangerous to democracy and democratic institutions, but still gave those individuals significant time on air to espouse those same lies and conspiracy theories. FOX has millions of viewers. Arguably, by some measures, a top 2 news outlet. TC has millions of viewers. IMO, Tucker Carlsons opinions are not worthy of consideration.

4wedge, you are completely correct that columnist accountability is zero if their opinion turns out to be garbage.

I have a very dear high school friend who is a writer for a major Canadian print paper. He has written for the NP/FP, Financial Times Canada and Globe and Mail among others. 18 years ago, a new writer for his paper published an article taking the Province of British Columbia to task for using commodity derivatives to hedge their fuel costs for BC Ferries. He likened it to gambling (a common narrative)and making “bets” on commodity prices. I called my friend up and asked him if his paper would care that this writer had gotten a significant number of facts wrong, and 2, had no concept of the principles of risk management and that what the province was doing wasn’t “betting” but ensuring some predictability of future cash flow. “Nope, probably don’t care whatsoever” .

OK then, facts and professionalism here are secondary.
                      All true,

But can we just disregard what they post?
                      Can we pretend that they have no influence?
                      Or should we rationally and logically address/review what the write/say?

The issue regarding the Pride Jerseys and Reimer has even become 'news' south of the border.

Opinion is certainly different from fact.

The simple fact that professional columnists/reporters have access to sources that we do not have access to, does tend to lend some credence to their opinions.

I have over the years challenged a number of these columnists. Sometimes sending them e-mails.
                      Simmons almost invariably responds, and rather politely.

Sometimes in person. How Don Cherry reacted is a long story. But I admit that I was enjoying his hospitality at the time and therefore acted rudely.

As for Cathal Kelly, in my opinion he is a very good wordsmith, but with only limited knowledge of hockey history. Unlike for example Sean McIndoe or Gare Joyce who are both wizzes at hockey history/trivia.

Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Mar 20, 2023, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Fixed as in completed. Not contradicting.

Kelly alleges that the NHL has tried to be all things to all people at the moment.

Rather than taking a stand as a league.
                        Thus hanging Reimer out to dry.

Have we seen/heard anything to refute that?

Should the NHL take a stand and force players to 'wear the ribbon'?

Is participating in these activities akin to standing for anthems?

You said Teams get revenues. That is very unfair and inaccurate.

Comment

You said Teams get revenues. That is very unfair and inaccurate.
                          Well they do get revenues. That they use these revenues for good causes is very laudatory and important.
                          Do they also get tax credits for the same?

I have read a great many media sources regarding the issue with the Sharks/Reimer/commemorative jerseys.
                          And have scrolled through their comments sections.
                          Which are too often full of vitriol and accusations.

Remarkably (thankfully) on this site there has been very little if any of this.
                          Without scrolling back, I would guess that the majority of posters have not taken a stand either agreeing or disagreeing with James Reimer's stance.

Nor debating how the Scriptures should be interpreted.

Which I believe is fitting.
                          Religion is very personal. And by definition is based on 'faith'.

Reimer by all the accounts that I have read, is highly regarded as a person.
                          And his someone who actually 'lives' his faith daily. Rather than just giving 'lip service' to it.

Unfortunately he has now become something of a lightning rod.
                          At age 35. Not come off a 'great' season. And with his contract expiring.

So in my opinion, the major concerns are a) how will the NHLPA and b) the NHL executives and c) the GM's of NHL teams react. Will they support him? Or will they turn their backs on them?

Unfortunately I may be 'off line' for while. My 14 year old pup. Who has minimal frosting on his face, still walks briskly 3 hours per day, and still runs up and down the stairs has been unwell. We have a vet appointment first thing tomorrow, but I will be sleeping fully dressed tonight 'just in case'.

Comment

Well they do get revenues. That they use these revenues for good causes is very laudatory and important.
                            Do they also get tax credits for the same?

I have read a great many media sources regarding the issue with the Sharks/Reimer/commemorative jerseys.
                            And have scrolled through their comments sections.
                            Which are too often full of vitriol and accusations.

Remarkably (thankfully) on this site there has been very little if any of this.
                            Without scrolling back, I would guess that the majority of posters have not taken a stand either agreeing or disagreeing with James Reimer's stance.

Nor debating how the Scriptures should be interpreted.

Which I believe is fitting.
                            Religion is very personal. And by definition is based on 'faith'.

Reimer by all the accounts that I have read, is highly regarded as a person.
                            And his someone who actually 'lives' his faith daily. Rather than just giving 'lip service' to it.

Unfortunately he has now become something of a lightning rod.
                            At age 35. Not come off a 'great' season. And with his contract expiring.

So in my opinion, the major concerns are a) how will the NHLPA and b) the NHL executives and c) the GM's of NHL teams react. Will they support him? Or will they turn their backs on them?

Unfortunately I may be 'off line' for while. My 14 year old pup. Who has minimal frosting on his face, still walks briskly 3 hours per day, and still runs up and down the stairs has been unwell. We have a vet appointment first thing tomorrow, but I will be sleeping fully dressed tonight 'just in case'.
                            Hope you get some sleep and that your pup is OK. My dogs are a huge part of my life.

I’m still up because I had my shoulder surgery this morning, Was fine all day but freezing was wearing off so I took a prescribed Percocet. Not sure it is helping my shoulder but for all the possible side effects I got “screaming headache.”

Not a fan of any organized religions mind-control groups FWIW. But that has little to do with this. There are two different messages being sent in this dispute.

The NHL’s efforts are about inclusion rather than exclusion. I like the higher road.

I don’t know if there is a tax motivation but if your selling price covers cost of goods, fixed OH and the rest goes to charity the net is zero in dollars and massive in creating awareness and sending a positive message of inclusion.

There is no positive in a religion that teaches any hate or discrimination.

Comment

• Dave Gardener, former St. Mike’s Buzzer, Toronto Marlboro and Montreal Canadian has passed away aged 70.

Dave Gardner, twice a 50-goal, 100-point centre with the Toronto Marlboros juniors and a first-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens in 1972, had died. The 70-year-old had complications from a blood infection in the past while, according to a Facebook post from brother Paul, himself a former NHLer. “Dave first made his contribution by letting me play with him and the older kids in our (Toronto) backyard,” Paul told the Toronto Sun in an earlier...

Comment

Dave Gardener, former St. Mike’s Buzzer, Toronto Marlboro and Montreal Canadian has passed away aged 70.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...kDP?li=AAggNb9
                                That's too bad, and still fairly young. I remember he was on a Toronto Marlies (then the OHA) line with Bill Harris, who I think went 1st overall to the NYI, and Steve Shutt in the early 1970's.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X