Collapse

PRIME VIDEO RECOMMENDATIONS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daisy Jones and The Six.
    I'm enjoying this show, which is based on a novel of the same name.
    I just discovered that the lead actor who plays Daisy Jones is actually the grand-daughter of the late Elvis Presley.​

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post
      Daisy Jones and The Six.
      I just discovered that the lead actor who plays Daisy Jones is actually the grand-daughter of the late Elvis Presley.​
      Thanks, it has been popping up regularly when I log in and is on my radar.

Sounds like the story was inspired by the early days of Fleetwood Mac .
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post
        Daisy Jones and The Six.
        The author Taylor Jenkins Reid is very good, lots of different styles but all very readable. I am waiting to jump in on the show.
        WITB
        9.5 Nike Covert
        15 TM Rocketballz
        3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
        52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
        TM White Smoke

Comment

Wind River with Jeremy Renner pretty good thriller .

Comment

The Consultant was an interesting time waster. A bit out there. Not as much as Everything Everywhere All at Once, which predictably cleaned up at the Oscar's. We thought it was a terrible watch. I'd love to see them reward movies like Top Gun Maverick. Just plain great and enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
              . Not as much as Everything Everywhere All at Once, We thought it was a terrible watch. I'd love to see them reward movies like Top Gun Maverick. Just plain great and enjoyable.
              The Academy awards are one specific award, albeit they are the pinnacle of success.
              they have a very detailed and specific criteria:
              Today, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced new representation and inclusion standards for Oscars® eligibility in the Best Picture category, as part of its Academy Aperture...

Many times the movies that win are also those that receive acclaimed critical success and popularity.

I believe Top Gun was nominated for best film ( but I could be mistaken)

they do have the People's Choice Awards and we have Rotten Tomatoes as well

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

The Academy awards are one specific award, albeit they are the pinnacle of success.
                they have a very detailed and specific criteria:
                Today, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced new representation and inclusion standards for Oscars® eligibility in the Best Picture category, as part of its Academy Aperture...

Many times the movies that win are also those that receive acclaimed critical success and popularity.

I believe Top Gun was nominated for best film ( but I could be mistaken)

they do have the People's Choice Awards and we have Rotten Tomatoes as well
                Top Gun: Maverick was nominated for Best Picture, Sound, Editing,Original Song, Adapted Screenplay, and Visual Effects. 6 nominations ain't exactly nothing. It won for Sound.

I watched both it and EEAaO and enjoyed both. The first one was pretty wild but also wildly entertaining. Top Gun was pretty mainstream but also wildly entertaining. Which is "best" largely comes down to taste. I used to be pretty into "cinema", which may have given a better appreciation for more films.

Who chooses the winners? 9500 members of the Academy - people who work in the industry. Specific awards (e.g. Sound) are chosen by members who work in that "branch" of the Academy.

The Best Picture is chosen by a vote by all members, and it's the only "ranked vote":
                Voters are asked to rank the nominees from most to least favorite. If a film gets more than 50% of number one votes (a highly unlikely prospect in any year), it automatically wins best picture. From there, the film that receives the least number one votes has its ballots redistributed to the number two votes of members who had placed it at number one. This process continues, eliminating the lowest vote earners and redistributing as needed to third and fourth favorites, until one film breaks that 50% threshold. The goal is to award the film that is a consensus favorite—the one that most Academy members would call their favorite, or at least close to it.

That seems reasonable.

And as you say, there's always the People's Choice awards which are closer to popular opinion.

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Early results suggest a lot of Canadians aren't willing to do w/out their Netflix and are signing on for their own accounts.

“Specifically, the data source has indicated that net adds will be greater than +500k for [U.S. and Canada] as gross adds in Canada have accelerated materially.”

Cohen noted that Netflix’s crackdown on password sharing in Canada is going well which “bodes well” for this campaign to be eventually launched in the U.S. The analyst added, “The indication of much stronger than anticipated sub [subscriber] data in Canada is an encouraging sign that NFLX’s recent crackdown on password sharing is driving new subs to the service.”

Comment

Looking forward to December 15th for the second season of Reacher.

This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Loved Season 1 of Reacher !

If anyone has Apple TV also suggest a series called "The Crowded Room" ...

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                        Looking forward to December 15th for the second season of Reacher.

No Willa Fitzgerald

Comment

Sadly, Willa will not appear this season. I particularly liked her character. Her dimunitive size masked the fact that she had as much courage and sass as her gigantic ally, Reacher.

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

No Willa Fitzgerald
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X