Collapse

Found a new author

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a new author

A few years ago, I discovered author Vince Flynn. Since then I have read most of his books. The main character works for the CIA in the counter-terrorism unit. Recently I read about another author, Ben Coes, whose books were similar to the Flynn books. Again, the main character works for the CIA in the counter-terrorism unit. I went to my local library and found two books by Coes. I read the first book a few weeks ago and am now reading the second book. They are riveting. If you are a fan of Flynn, I recommend that you give Coes a read.

Originally posted by Lionworld View Post
    A few years ago, I discovered author Vince Flynn. Since then I have read most of his books. The main character works for the CIA in the counter-terrorism unit. Recently I read about another author, Ben Coes, whose books were similar to the Flynn books. Again, the main character works for the CIA in the counter-terrorism unit. I went to my local library and found two books by Coes. I read the first book a few weeks ago and am now reading the second book. They are riveting. If you are a fan of Flynn, I recommend that you give Coes a read.
    Were you a Tom Clancy / Jack Ryan series fan? Do these compare well?

Comment

For whatever reason, never had interest in reading fiction,,,, maybe because it's all tv and film has.

Read a lot of finance and investing books, health and medical , sports books, biographies, ....the closest to fiction would be perhaps Malcolm Gladwell whom I like quite a bit.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Mitch Rapp is my favourite character. I'll keep an eye out for Ben Coes.
        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

The late Vince Flynn was one of my wife's favourite authors. I told her about your Ben Coes recommendation. She'll check him out. Thanks.
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
            The late Vince Flynn was one of my wife's favourite authors. I told her about your Ben Coes recommendation. She'll check him out. Thanks.
            From one retired lawyer to another, your wife will love Ben Coes’ books. The main character is exactly like Mitch Rapp.

Comment

Those are two that I always read, both good authors. That is my favourite genre. Some others that you might enjoy are Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. Brad Thor's Scot Harvath. Lee Child - Jack Reacher. Ted Bell - Alex Hawke. Gregg Hurwitz - Orphan X. Steve Berry - Cotton Malone.
              Last edited by hoganapexplus; Mar 18, 2023, 05:12 PM.
              WITB
              9.5 Nike Covert
              15 TM Rocketballz
              3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
              52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
              TM White Smoke

Comment

Thanks. By the way, I didn't realize that you once practiced law. Hope you're enjoying retirement as much as I am. It's a lot easier on the nerves!

From one retired lawyer to another, your wife will love Ben Coes’ books. The main character is exactly like Mitch Rapp.
                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post

Those are two that I always read, both good authors. That is my favourite genre. Some others that you might enjoy are Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. Brad Thor's Scot Harvath. Lee Child - Jack Reacher. Ted Bell - Alex Hawke. Gregg Hurwitz - Orphan X. Steve Berry - Cotton Malone.
                  I have read every book in the Scott Harvath, Cotton Malone, and Jack Reacher series (Mitch Rapp too), very entertaining. New Cotton Malone just came out last month and the newest in the others are coming later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post

I have read every book in the Scott Harvath, Cotton Malone, and Jack Reacher series (Mitch Rapp too), very entertaining. New Cotton Malone just came out last month and the newest in the others are coming later this year.
                    Same, reading the new Cotton book now.
                    WITB
                    9.5 Nike Covert
                    15 TM Rocketballz
                    3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                    52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                    TM White Smoke

Comment

Same, reading the new Cotton book now.
                      New book was good, he is expanding the core group a bit to keep things fresh. I always enjoy the mix of history and action.
                      WITB
                      9.5 Nike Covert
                      15 TM Rocketballz
                      3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                      52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                      TM White Smoke

Comment

New book was good, he is expanding the core group a bit to keep things fresh. I always enjoy the mix of history and action.
                        Luke Daniels gets his own series starting on 23 June, Steve Berry co-authoring I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post

Luke Daniels gets his own series starting on 23 June, Steve Berry co-authoring I believe.
                          Makes sense, he has been an increasing part of the story the past few books. Next Berry book might be more Cotton then.
                          WITB
                          9.5 Nike Covert
                          15 TM Rocketballz
                          3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                          52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                          TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

Were you a Tom Clancy / Jack Ryan series fan? Do these compare well?
                            I am a fan of the Jack Ryan series. The Flynn and Coes books are different. Both feature one main character, and both books have a lot more violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                              For whatever reason, never had interest in reading fiction,,,, maybe because it's all tv and film has.

Read a lot of finance and investing books, health and medical , sports books, biographies, ....the closest to fiction would be perhaps Malcolm Gladwell whom I like quite a bit.
                              Not new. And not professional authors.

Last week read Jeremy Roenick's autobiography. He absolutely 'slams' Patrick Marleau.

Just finishing Patrick O'Sullivan's autobiography. For those who do not recognize the name O'Sullivan was a teenage hockey phenom. 1st overall pick in the OHL draft by the Mississauga (as they were then) Ice Dogs. OHL/CHL rookie of the year. 2nd round NHL pick. AHL rookie of the year. 22 goals and 53 points in his 1st full NHL season at the age of 22-23.

His career 'flamed out' due to personal and off ice issues. Primarily created by his father who was/is alleged to be the among the most 'abusive' of all hockey dads.

Seems that both Patrick and his father crossed paths with a lot of people that I knew/also crossed paths with.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X