Collapse

2023 - 2024 Toronto Maple Leafs thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 - 2024 Toronto Maple Leafs thread

As we look ahead, time to close the books on this leaf season.
    Made one small leap but a disappointing playoff run.

Are their management coaching moves coming.
    God forbid they say they are close and try to run it back as much as they can.

Is the time to move Marner before his NMC kicks in on July 1st?

How much will the cap go up?

Will Bunting price himself off the team?

Woll will not clear waivers if they sent him down.

How much will Samsonov want?

If Dubas stays (hope he does) will he trust Murray as part of a tandem?

Is Keefe let go? Sadly I don’t think it’s entirely his part the core 3 played the way they did.

How much will ROR want, is he too young to be in the home town discount phase of his career?

Will Nylander be the collateral damage of changes, he seems to rise or at least maintain his level in the post season.

My opinions of Matthews and Marner have changed as it’s possible they have the skill but not the will.

Would moving Tavares to the wing help him and the group?

Hearing talk that some would like to see Morgan get the “C”, not sure how that could happen with Tavares under contact.
    IMO I would have liked to see him get it in the first place.

What’s in the farm that could take the step up?

Robertson ( can he stay healthy?)
    Holmberg
    Timmins
    McCann
    Anderson
    Kallgren

Hopefully it’s a hectic exciting off season because changes are needed.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
    Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
    Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
    Ping G400 4H - 22*
    Ping G400 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
    Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
    Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

It’s easy to take the C unstitch it and tell him you haven’t led this team to squat. Thank for your time.
    Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
    Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
    Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
    Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
    Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
    Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
      It’s easy to take the C unstitch it and tell him you haven’t led this team to squat. Thank for your time.
      Not quite as easy as that unfortunately.
      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
      Ping G400 4H - 22*
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Why is that? He’s an employee, senior management can take it away and give it to someone more deserving like Morgan. At least he plays with purpose and passion.
        Blake Wheeler lost the captaincy in Winnipeg so there is a precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Well it happened to Joe Thornton and he’s 10x the player Tavares is.
          Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Reflog View Post
            Why is that? He’s an employee, senior management can take it away and give it to someone more deserving like Morgan. At least he plays with purpose and passion.
            Blake Wheeler lost the captaincy in Winnipeg so there is a precedent.
            I did not say it can’t happen, I said it’s not an easy decision.
            Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
            Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
            Ping G400 4H - 22*
            Ping G400 5 - UW
            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Exactly. As a captain he’s been fine. Changing captains won’t mean a damn thing as long as the country club atmosphere exists.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Exactly. As a captain he’s been fine. Changing captains won’t mean a damn thing as long as the country club atmosphere exists.
                As a captain what has he done in Toronto and NYI? Everything a captain should do you hear about everybody else doing it. Every year there’s veteran leadership that’s brought in. It’s not like the guys that are brought in have been a captain for the sake of being a captain they’ve been leaders for years.

Captains lead Tavares hasn’t really done much to prove to me he’s a captain aside from signing a big contract in his home town.

Ping Hoofer

Comment

As a captain what has he done in Toronto and NYI? Everything a captain should do you hear about everybody else doing it. Every year there’s veteran leadership that’s brought in. It’s not like the guys that are brought in have been a captain for the sake of being a captain they’ve been leaders for years.

Captains lead Tavares hasn’t really done much to prove to me he’s a captain aside from signing a big contract in his home town.
                  Ok what should he do? None of us has any idea what goes on in the dressing room, nor do we know how the players perceive him.
                  as long as Matthews and Marner are catered to as they’ve been, it won’t matter who the captain is.

Comment

Well he should stick up for himself for one. He’s a punching bag. When the team is struggling go out and do something to get them going. Show some emotion. If you captain shows no emotion how to do you follow the leader.
                    Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Ok what should he do? None of us has any idea what goes on in the dressing room, nor do we know how the players perceive him.
                      as long as Matthews and Marner are catered to as they’ve been, it won’t matter who the captain is.
                      Well said, we have no idea what goes on in the room.
                      He’s very stoic but I bet he has one heck of a work ethic.
                      im sure he’s not happy with the results as a group and on his own.
                      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                      Ping G400 4H - 22*
                      Ping G400 5 - UW
                      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

As I said in the other thread, I think at least 2 of the Big 4 should go.

I'm not surprising anybody by saying that I think Nylander has to go. He's just too much of a defensive liability.

In the end, the market will determine who, if anyone, goes.

None of the Big 4 did anything to increase their off season value.

I think it will come down to their current contracts, and how much time is left on them. I would think Nylander has the most attractive contract because of the $s, and the time until it has to be renegotiated.

Second best in terms of trade value is Matthews. He's probably worth a lot more to an American franchise than the other 3.

TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

I for one have never put that much importance on the captaincy.

Sometimes management or the coach picks the captain.

The players know who their leader is, regardless of who wears the letter.

How many seasons was Gordie Howe the captain?
                          When was Bobby Orr the captain?

Comment

Originally posted by WWFS View Post
                            As I said in the other thread, I think at least 2 of the Big 4 should go.

I'm not surprising anybody by saying that I think Nylander has to go. He's just too much of a defensive liability.

In the end, the market will determine who, if anyone, goes.

None of the Big 4 did anything to increase their off season value.

I think it will come down to their current contracts, and how much time is left on them. I would think Nylander has the most attractive contract because of the $s, and the time until it has to be renegotiated.

Second best in terms of trade value is Matthews. He's probably worth a lot more to an American franchise than the other 3.
                            With Nylander, he has 2 more seasons but can't sign an extension until a year from July 1 so any team trading is taking a bit of a risk he will resign with them. Look at the Sens with DeBrincat - he had 2 seasons max left and could choose to not resign and then they have to trade him. Marner is in the same boat.

And they need win now assets back, not draft picks (unless they know they can convert those) or prospects.

Regardless, they have less than two months to determine who will manage and coach the team and then put a plan in place for what happens before, during and after the draft.
                            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

With Nylander, he has 2 more seasons but can't sign an extension until a year from July 1 so any team trading is taking a bit of a risk he will resign with them. Look at the Sens with DeBrincat - he had 2 seasons max left and could choose to not resign and then they have to trade him. Marner is in the same boat.

And they need win now assets back, not draft picks (unless they know they can convert those) or prospects.

Regardless, they have less than two months to determine who will manage and coach the team and then put a plan in place for what happens before, during and after the draft.
                              I believe Marner has the same contract terms, but at a higher salary. My thoughts are that teams may be more likely to take that risk on Nylander.

As for Matthews, he becomes an UFA on July 1, 2024.

The Leafs are certainly not in the driver's seat.
                              TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X