Collapse

Jim Brown, NFL legend - RIP

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Brown, NFL legend - RIP

Jim Brown, the transcendent athlete-actor-activist who ran roughshod over the NFL and its record books in the 1950s and 1960s and won multiple MVP awards before retiring abruptly at age 30 to focus on the civil rights movement and a career in Hollywood, has died, his former team and his widow said Friday. He was 87.

The greatest. You can talk about Walter, Emmitt, Barry and any others, but nobody did it like Jim. To watch him was a pleasure.
    In The Ogio
    Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
    Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
    Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
    Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

The best ever, speed, power and toughhness combined.
      In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
      Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
      TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
      TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
      PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
      TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
      Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
      TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

I grew up just following CFL football just like today and I never watch NFL - but as a kid my dad and I always watched if the Browns were playing to watch Brown play - didn't realize he excelled in so many other sports
        Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
        23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
        6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
        52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
        Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

We didn't follow US football in our house either, but I do remember him well from The Dirty Dozen (along with a youngish Donald Sutherland).

RIP Mr. Brown.

_______
          NQRfPT

Comment

He played until 1965 which was well before my football watching time which started in HS in the mid 70's but I am familiar with his long and successful acting career.

RIP
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Apparently his retirement from the NFL was not planned. He was filming "The Dirty Dozen" in England in summer 1967 and needed to delay his arrival at training camp. The Browns refused his request, so he just up and retired.

Comment

How many professional athletes quit 'at the top of their game'? Brown retired after winning the MVP Award.

I agree with a Mule56 that he was probably the greatest running back of all time. He could do it all, run with power, run with speed, block and receive passes. He played 9 seasons, led the NFL in rushing in 8 of them, in rushing TDs in 5 of them and was on 3 Championship teams.

Although my personal favourite running back as both a person and as an athlete is/was Gale Sayers.

He was also as others alluded to considered one of, it not the greatest field lacrosse players of all time.
                Last edited by Arthur Dailey; May 20, 2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

He stood up for what he believed. Still remember the presser he had with Ali, flanked by himself and Kareem. Just don't see that with current generation of pro athletes.

Comment

He was a great football player.

If you happened to watch the series, maybe a couple of years ago, about Hugh Hefner and Playboy, you'll have a different opinion of Jim's other qualities, given his horrifying treatment of some women.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X