Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Smuggling in Weed Killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone Smuggling in Weed Killer?

Are farms still allowed to use it?

I look around and would say the dandelions are winning.

I'm down in the Peninsula and our cousin the landscaper came and worked the gardens.

She said we have the best soil she has ever worked with and it's no wonder the weeds grow like crazy.
    SAVE & REBUILD
    West Lincoln Memorial Hospital

#savewlmh
    www.savewlmh.ca

FB: Save WLMH
    IG: save_wlmh

Comment

Not illegal to possess, but illegal to use.

However, if you take the subtle route and dilute it into a spray bottle for spot treatment no one will likely be the wiser. If you hose down the whole lawn, your neighbours WILL be able to smell it.
      10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
      16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
      20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
      4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
      Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Use Liquid Plumber on spot application, especially interlock driveways. I think sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid also works. Or my neighbour suggested using a concoction of Javex, Tide and vinegar.

Comment

I loaded up on the weed killer last year when down south

Comment

Vinegar works but will kill grass as well. Agreed, no super will sell you anything unless he is nuts. Even clearing out dandelions at the course is difficult due to regulations.

Originally posted by Secam View Post
            I pull the dandelions, but the Creeping Charlie and other unknowns are taking over.
            Creeping Charlie and violets are the worst in my area. I just cleared out (killed off) a large area and re-sodded.
            I like big putts and I cannot lie
            You other putters can't deny
            That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
            You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Creeping Charlie and violets are the worst in my area. I just cleared out (killed off) a large area and re-sodded.[/QUOTE]

We have some stuff people here call "snow on the mountain" I think it's just another name for creeping Charlie and its brutal, we might just let it cover the garden and use potted plants.
              SAVE & REBUILD

#savewlmh
              www.savewlmh.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                Creeping Charlie and violets are the worst in my area. I just cleared out (killed off) a large area and re-sodded.
                We have some stuff people here call "snow on the mountain" I think it's just another name for creeping Charlie and its brutal, we might just let it cover the garden and use potted plants.[/QUOTE]

Nah - they're different, and I know because we have both...

Snow on the Mountain (aka Goutweed) starts off as a decent bedding plant/groundcover. Then it keeps growing and growing until it has taken over the whole garden, then the lawn, then the house, then your family....
                You can pull it up, but it's toxic and will still come back. On the bright side, it can look nice... It looks like (and is used as) a groundcover by some people, but it should be illegal. It grows about 30-40 cm high.

Creeping (f'ing) Charlie is taking over my lawn. More and more every year. It is a horrid low creeping (duh) plant that is the same height as grass - maybe 5cm high or so - except in Spring it puts up some nice purple flowers) but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. It will kill your grass and turn your lawn into a trailer park (and your kids into felons too...).
                It looks like this:

It kinda looks like watercress, and has a peppery smell when you cut it.

I hates it.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                  We have some stuff people here call "snow on the mountain" I think it's just another name for creeping Charlie and its brutal, we might just let it cover the garden and use potted plants.
                  Nah - they're different, and I know because we have both...

Snow on the Mountain (aka Goutweed) starts off as a decent bedding plant/groundcover. Then it keeps growing and growing until it has taken over the whole garden, then the lawn, then the house, then your family....
                  You can pull it up, but it's toxic and will still come back. On the bright side, it can look nice... It looks like (and is used as) a groundcover by some people, but it should be illegal. It grows about 30-40 cm high.

Creeping (f'ing) Charlie is taking over my lawn. More and more every year. It is a horrid low creeping (duh) plant that is the same height as grass - maybe 5cm high or so - except in Spring it puts up some nice purple flowers) but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. It will kill your grass and turn your lawn into a trailer park (and your kids into felons too...).
                  It looks like this:

It kinda looks like watercress, and has a peppery smell when you cut it.

I hates it.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense because I have heard it called gout weed, even if you pull it all and miss a little piece it will just start growing again.

Thick grass seems to keep it at bay somewhat.

They put in new sidewalks two years ago and must have got some bad fill because the neighbor has creeping Charlie just on the new section of lawn.
                  SAVE & REBUILD

#savewlmh
                  www.savewlmh.ca

Comment

Quote clean-up on aisle 6

Comment

I brought some grub killer across last year with no questions asked. Customs didn't even know what grubs were...when they asked why I didn't buy it in Canada, I said it was because it isn't sold here and that was that. Rip the label off, toss it in a generic bottle and spray away. Tell the inspector you were given it by a co-worker/friend and they said it will get rid of the weeds
                      Rip it and Sip it

Comment

i saw some round up in a locked case at canadian tire
                        " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                        Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                        Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                        Ping i20
                        MacGregor response
                        Snickers tour bag
                        Pro V1

Comment

Quebec started the provincial ban parade, but they now admit 2,4D is not proven to be harmful to the environment or human health, however the ban is still in place.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/201...ful-to-humans/

Comment

Originally posted by tacks451 View Post
                            i saw some round up in a locked case at canadian tire
                            I was listening to a horticulturist yesterday on the radio and I'm sure he said the same thing. Stores are allowed to sell it but have to keep it locked up and have a licensed "someone or other" to dispense it. They are supposed to give you a pamphlet.

My understanding is you are allowed to posess it but not use it

I'm just about out of the stuff I bought up north before the ban went province wide. I watch the neighbours spraying their lawns with the eco friendly stuff, watch the dandelions close up like it's night time only to reawaken the next day. Once sprayed, I only spot spray, the weeds on our lawn are done.

Comment

Originally posted by Secam View Post
                              but they now admit 2,4D is not proven to be harmful to the environment or human health]
                              Daddy Dalton and another nanny state law.

I don't smuggle the stuff in from Buffalo since doing so is not illegal. Can't call it smuggling. But I do buy several bottles when I'm in the US and bring them back for friends and families. Yes Dalton. Ontario families.

I admit to breaking the law by using it (under the cover of night since some of my neighbours are tree-huggers), and it works great!

I tried to be sensitive to the law last spring, but after hours, yes hours, of digging up dandelions, I said f*@#% this.
                              Greg

Comment

I bought a spray bottle of EcoSense that is meant to kill weeds. Dumped it out and refilled it with a Killex mix. Neighbours think I'm using the new stuff that isn't very effective. A bunch of us in the area loaded up before the law came in.
                                Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 171,007   Posts: 1,786,791   Members: 46,698   Active Members: 352
                                Welcome to our newest member, Danbarker1055.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X