X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albin Choi

Another young Torontonian playing some good golf:

Albin Choi gets first pro win on mini tour
    VALDOSTA, GA (Golf Canada) – Toronto native and Young Pro Squad member Albin Choi recorded his first win as a professional on Saturday, shooting a 6-under 210 to win the SwingThought Tour Classic by one stroke.

Choi, 22, carded 14 birdies en route to shooting rounds of 69-70-71 for the come-from-behind victory on the weather-shortened 54-hole event at the Kiderlou Forest Golf Club.

With the win, Choi takes home $20,000 (USD) along with an exemption into the United Leasing Championship presented by PTI, a Web.com Tour event.

The long-standing Team Canada member had lost his Web.com Tour status following the 2014 season, and will surely be eager to return with an extra boost of confidence following his victory.

Young Pro Squad Head Coach, Derek Ingram, shared his excitement for Choi, who he knows well through their years together with Team Canada’s National Amateur Squad.

“There is nothing more important than knowing you can win and believing in yourself,” said Ingram. “I couldn’t be happier for Albin.”

Choi will tee-it-up again from Mar. 9-14 in the NGA Tour’s next event in Diamondhead, Miss.

Fellow Canuck and former National Team member, Riley Wheeldon was also in the field in Valdosta. The Courtenay, B.C., native cracked the top-10, squeezing in with a tie for 10th place.

This marks the second victory for the Young Pro Squad on the NGA Tour in recent months—Richmond Hill Ont. native Taylor Pendrith won the Meadowlands event in November

Courtesy Fairways EMagazine, a great read for all things golf.
    Last edited by 4underthru9; Mar 4, 2015, 11:39 AM.
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Re: Albin Choi

Albin Choi TWEETS with Adam Hadwin, Nick Taylor, Augusta James and others:

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Albin is going for two in a row on the NGA tour, leading the Cardinal Classic at Diamondhead by 3 going into today's final round (shortened to 54 holes). http://www.swingthought.com/leaderbo.../#.VQQi2eGLVS7

The winner gets an exemption into the web.com tour BMW Charity Pro-am in May.

Comment

Albin in in a playoff with James Erkenbeck.

UPDATE: Both players birdie 18, back to the tee.
        UPDATE: Albin birdies for the win!

That's two wins in a row! And two $20,000 cheques in a row!
        Last edited by sjmcampbell; Mar 14, 2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Another great win for our Toronto boy Albin Choi; Congrats.

Courtesy Fairways Emagazine, always a great read for anything GOLF.

DIAMONDHEAD, MS (Golf Canada) – Toronto’s Albin Choi has done it again. After earning his first win as a professional on the NGA Tour just two weeks ago, the 22-year-old Team Canada member has already added another with a playoff victory at the Cardinal Classic on Saturday.

The N.C. State grad birdied the par-5 18th to reach 12-under par (65-67-72) at the rain-shortened event before forcing a playoff with American James Erkenbeck and eventually edging him out after two additional holes. Similar to his win two weeks ago at the SwingThought Tour Classic, Choi took home a prize total of $20,000 (USD) and earned another exemption–this time to the BMW Charity Pro-Am, a Web.com Tour event.

Fellow Canadian Bill Ross of Dundas, Ont., cracked the top 10–finishing in a tie for sixth at 9-under par. Choi’s Young Pro Squad teammate Mackenzie Hughes, also of Dundas, finished in a tie for 13th.

Comment

Congrats to Albin Choi for winning the PGA Canada Q-School in Florida

He finished 25-under to win by 3. Winning gives him full status for the year on the PGA Canada Tour.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmcampbell View Post
              Congrats to Albin Choi for winning the PGA Canada Q-School in Florida

He finished 25-under to win by 3. Winning gives him full status for the year on the PGA Canada Tour.
              That's amazing for him, and Toronto, pity nobody else other than you seems interested in the guys success.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                That's amazing for him, and Toronto, pity nobody else other than you seems interested in the guys success.
                Hey - I am interested!!! Been following him intently for a while now.

Comment

Good for him. I recently played 7 holes with a 13 year old Korean boy who is on the Ontario U18(?) team. He was skipping school and playing golf on Thursday afternoon. He says his grades are good, so the school is okay with that. The ball striking was so pure, I wish I started playing young like he did. He said he has been exposed to the game since he was two years old.
                  These young kids are so dedicated and good; the future is bright for Canadian golfers!
                  I hope to have enough financial stability to be able to train my 1 year old son in the future to become a PGA Tour players
                  In the SM C-130 cart bag:
                  Driver:
                  TM Aeroburner 9.5* Grafalloy Blackbird Stiff
                  Fairway Metals:
                  TM R9 15* 3W Stock
                  TM R9 19* 5W Stock
                  Hybrid:
                  TM Aeroburner 4H
                  Irons:
                  TM R9 5-GW
                  Wedge(s):
                  CG 588 56|08
                  CG 588 60|12
                  Putter - Odyssey 2Ball
                  Balls - NXT Tour

Comment

Thanks for the update sikoram

I knew Albin was going to be good and I started his own thread back in March.

Albin Choi won by 3 shots and not in a cake walk. It was touch and go until 16 then he pulled away. Canadian Adam Svensson bogeyed 18 and surrendered second place alone and wound up in a tie with two others including Canadian Eugene Wong. Local boy Corey Renfrew finished T 5.... Oh Canada!!!!!

Albin is pretty classy. He thanked the volunteers on the 18th green at the trophy presentation then came by later to the volunteer's dinner to thank us again.

The greens were running at 12.6 and with a wind blowing and with the course drying out in 27 degree heat, they were bouncing.

Choi takes over the lead in the Canadian Tour Order of Merit with Svensson third and Wong T4.

Pretty cool.
                    Last edited by 4underthru9; Jul 21, 2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Albin Choi is playing in the European Tour Porsche European Open starting tomorrow. http://www.europeantour.com/european...imes/index.htm

He dropped to 6th place in the Mackenzie Tour money list after the final event of the season, which means he doesn't get a Web.com tour card, but is exempt into the final stage of Q-School (December 10-13).

UPDATE (Saturday morning): After three rounds, he is (-3) T55 (still quite a few players still out playing the third round).
                      Last edited by sjmcampbell; Sep 26, 2015, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Disastrous 4th round of 78 finished at T65 but did get €4,600 for his effort.

Comment

I saw some college players was asking whether he can make it to pga in wrx. It's so tough in this game to actually make it. Albin is good to win some tours but not even a web.com tour card. Unless u r really good at early age I don't even want my kids to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by dalmanca View Post
                            I saw some college players was asking whether he can make it to pga in wrx. It's so tough in this game to actually make it. Albin is good to win some tours but not even a web.com tour card. Unless u r really good at early age I don't even want my kids to try it.
                            Lots of million dollar swings and $2 brains out there. To make it to the top in a sport like golf, you just have to have that something special.

Comment

Originally posted by dalmanca View Post
                              4600 Euros last week, $54,767 on the Mackenzie Tour this year, $40,000 on the Swingthought Tour. That's not such a bad year.

He can still get a web.com card for next year at Q-School (he is exempt to final stage).

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X