/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

The Evian Championship Preview, Pairings, and Lots More!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evian Championship Preview, Pairings, and Lots More!

This week the LPGA travels to France for the playing of the Evian Championship.

In Gee Chun will be trying to defend the title she won last year when she cruised to a four shot victory over So Yeon Ryu and Sung Hyun Park.

Only two Canadians this week: Brittany Marchand (Qualified by winning PHC Classic) and Brooke.
    Last edited by sjmcampbell; Sep 12, 2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I find it quite curious that Alena isn't playing this week. Seems her status should allow her but perhaps she decided not to go, but I have know idea why that would be. I hope Brittany has a decent week, as she is perhaps giving up quite a bit missing a Symetra event this week. It's not a cheap trip to fly across the Atlantic and stay and play. Hopefully both our "B" girls play well too.

Comment

The first round pairings have now been posted:

Comment

Ai Miyazato is retiring after the Evian. She has won the Evian twice before it was a major. She was number one in the world at three different times in 2010 for a total of 11 weeks and won five times that year (9 wins total) but has done no better that T3 in a major during her career.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf...-career-evian/

http://www.lpga.com/news/2017-pre-to...n-championship

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp...-swansong.html

http://golfweek.com/2017/09/12/ai-mi...-championship/
          Miyazato will play the first two rounds of Evian alongside friends Paula Creamer and Yani Tseng. Miyazato actually played with Lorena Ochoa in Mexico during her farewell tournament, along with Natalie Gulbis, and remembers Ochoa crying after Friday’s round because she knew it would be the last time they’d play together in competition.

“I think I (will) get that feeling too,” Miyazato said.
          Last edited by sjmcampbell; Sep 13, 2017, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnrw View Post
            I find it quite curious that Alena isn't playing this week. Seems her status should allow her but perhaps she decided not to go, but I have know idea why that would be. I hope Brittany has a decent week, as she is perhaps giving up quite a bit missing a Symetra event this week. It's not a cheap trip to fly across the Atlantic and stay and play. Hopefully both our "B" girls play well too.
            Alena is in the field in New Zealand in a couple of weeks
            http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/mcka...en/final-field

While it is expensive to fly to France, Brittany has had a few good-sized cheques the past couple of months and it would be hard to say no to an invite to the Evian -- a beautiful course in a beautiful place that isn't that hard/expensive to get to (as places in the world go) with the second largest purse in women's golf and the weakest field among majors. You get US$547,500 for winning. That's significantly more than it is possible to win at a Symetra event.

Brittany got $15,000 for winning the PHC Classic, she would get $15.246 for finishing 46th this week. She is 2 for 2 in LPGA cuts so far this year (30th at the CP Women's Open and 46th at the Manulife) so she knows that 46th is achievable.
            [Purse breakdown: https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsn...payout-106849/ ]
            Last edited by sjmcampbell; Sep 13, 2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Play has been suspended due to bad weather and will resume at 1:05pm local time (7:05am Ontario time). [originally 12:05pm local but the course needs more time for cleanup]
              Last edited by sjmcampbell; Sep 14, 2017, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Delayed again for another hour. New projected start time is 2:05pm local (8:05am Ontario time).

Comment

Sung Hyun Park, one of the pre tournament favourites, is +6 after 5 holes and has 2 birdies. This is not a misprint.

Comment

UPDATE 1:30 p.m. - Due to continued developing weather, play suspended until 3:35 p.m. local time.
                    I think that would be around 9:30am in Ontario.

Comment

Play is canceled for the day.

The tournament is reduced to 54 holes and they will be restarting Round 1 tomorrow.

Those who did play some holes earlier today (Brooke was +1, Brittany was +2) have had their scores wiped and everyone will start with a clean scorecard tomorrow.

The cut will be after Saturday's round.

Comment

Isn't this a major?
                        Are you kidding me that would cancel the first day of play with a bunch of players already posting (partial) scores?

Comment

Michal Whan has had quite a year hasn't he?First major was a disaster, then a month before China they cancel, now a 54 hole major. He can't seem to win right now. if this tournament went to Monday, then that long trip to New Zealand, were his hands tied? He has done a great job for this tour, but this tear has been a test. Perhaps I should have started a new thread for that discussion?
                          Last edited by Johnrw; Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

My error because the NZ tournament is in two weeks. Makes this desison of only 54 holes even more curious.
                            Last edited by Johnrw; Sep 14, 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilbaylor View Post
                              Isn't this a major?
                              Are you kidding me that would cancel the first day of play with a bunch of players already posting (partial) scores?
                              on the surface it looks bad , having not watched the play and conditions that took place I have to think they felt that the weather was not fair for those who went out already. I'm sure it was a tough call as there were players under par and others well over par. I read one player carded a 9 , I'm not sure if that was weather related or not.
                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X