Collapse

CP Women's Open, August 20-26

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CP Women's Open, August 20-26

Golf Canada announced exemptions for 14 players to play in the CP Women's Open at the Wascana Country Club in Regina.
    http://golfcanada.ca/article/strong-...cp-womens-open

The exemptions are going to:
    - Lorie Kane (Charlottetown, PEI, 28th start at this event)
    - Brittany Marchand (Orangeville, Ont, 5th start)
    - Augusta James (Bath, Ont, 5th start)
    - Jennifer Ha (Calgary, AB, 3rd start)
    - Anna Young (Saskatoon, SK, first start)
    - Elizabeth Tong (Thornhill, ON)
    - Megan Osland (Kelowna, BC)
    - Celeste Dao (a) (Notre-Dame-de-l'Ile-Perrot, QC)
    - Grace St-Germain (a) (Ottawa, ON)
    - Naomi Ko (a) (Victoria, BC)
    - Yealimi Noh (a) (Concord, California -- won 2018 Canadian Women's Amateur for exemption. Also won 2018 US Junior Girls and 2018 Girls Junior PGA)
    - Tiffany Kong (a) (Vancouver, BC, low amateur at 2018 Canadian Women's Amateur, 2nd start (Monday qualified in 2014 as a 14-year-old)
    - Natalie Gulbis (11th appearance)
    - Becky Morgan (12th appearance)

Other Canadians in the field are: Alena Sharp (Hamilton, ON), Brooke Henderson (Smiths Falls, ON), Anne-Catherine Tanguay (Quebec, QC) and Maude-Aimee Leblanc (Sherbrooke, QC).

92 of the top 100 players on the LPGA Tour Official Money List are expected to compete.

Maddie Szeryk and Jaclyn Lee (the top 2 players on the Golf Canada Amateur Order of Merit) were extended invitations but both had to decline because they will be playing at Q-School Stage I.

There will be a qualifer at Royal Regina Golf Club on August 20th to determine the final four exemptions.
    Qualifier Entries: https://qs.lpga.com/reports/?tourn=C...18~alphaorder~

CBC News "World's Best to Tee-Off in Regina at LPGA CP Women's Open"
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...open-1.4778316

CTV News interview with Anna Young from July (video, 1:55)
    https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...turf-1.4019077

@cpwomensopen:

Come and watch Canadian superstar @BrookeHenderson as she takes on the stars of the @LPGA Tour at the CP Women's Open in Regina, Aug. 20–26.

Use promo code HENDERSON at checkout for 20% off all #CPWO tickets options (except Single Day – Mon, Tues, Wed): https://cpwomensopen.com/tickets/?ut...ersonPromoCode
    Last edited by sjmcampbell; Aug 14, 2018, 08:50 AM.

I'm hoping Brooke can put on a show for her 'home' fans and be in the mix Sunday. Also, I hope several Canucks can make the cut.

Comment

OK...I'm putting on my flame suit....lol.
      Anyone else feel the Canadian invite content should be more limited?
      Unless I'm wrong...I don't see the USGA and/or the R&A/Ricoh handing out as many invites to Americans or UK players at the USWO or WBO.

IMO...I'd like to see the USGA Women's Am champ, Women's British Amateur champ and Women's Asia Pacific Am champ invited along with 2 or 3 of the top 10 women's WAGR players.
      Obviously, the Cdn Women's Am champ and top Canuck at the Cdn Women's Am are great invites.

I know she's a CP sponsored pro but I rather see someone other than Lorie Kane year over year...heck they might as well invited Sandra Post.
      I like Gulbis....but she's washed up...if they want to sell tickets they should invite Paige Spiranac....lol.
      Huh...WTF...Becky Morgan really???????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
        I'm hoping Brooke can put on a show for her 'home' fans and be in the mix Sunday. Also, I hope several Canucks can make the cut.
        Too much pressure on Brooke to win at home...and the CWO attracts a strong field which makes it more difficult to win.
        Though I do hope to see another Brooke wedge smashed in Regina...I love drama...lol.

Let's see if Rider Nation comes out to attend the event with the Roughriders out of town that weekend...supposedly Saskatchewan has the highest per capita golfers in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
          Anyone else feel the Canadian invite content should be more limited?
          Unless I'm wrong...I don't see the USGA and/or the R&A/Ricoh handing out as many invites to Americans or UK players at the USWO or WBO.
          Most of the Asian events have a lot of local invites. The majors like the USWO and WBO have their own invitation system separate from the other LPGA events. The events in the US are generally limited to two invites, but there are a lot of events, so a lot of opportunities for Americans to get starts.

Considering that the CP Women's Open tends to have one of the strongest fields of the year, having a bunch of Canadians included doesn't hurt anything. It is our national championship, after all, and the one time each year that all (or as many as possible) of the top Canadians, amateur and professional, get a chance to compete against each other. "Low Canadian" is a meaningful title. It's unfortunate that Q-School Stage 1 is the same week.

Field has been announced:
          http://golfcanada.ca/article/worlds-...t-saskatchewan

With the one of the strongest fields on the LPGA Tour, Canada’s National Women’s Open Championship will feature 14 in-year LPGA Tour winners and 89 of the top 100 players on the LPGA Tour’s Official Money List.
          Field: http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/cp-w...en/final-field
          Last edited by sjmcampbell; Aug 16, 2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

The USWO and WBO are also national championships and you don't see the USGA, R&A/Ricoh inviting a large number of Americans or Brits to their championships.

Hmmmm...I guess Wiesy is brighter than I thought....she's skipping Regina.....lol....I think she likes the CWO and is a past champ....BJ never likes to skip an event with a large purse....lol.
            Ya, ya, ya.....she's been in a splint but that has never stopped her before showing up to an event all wrapped up in KT tape like The Mummy....lol.....MW is a walking ailment.
            After I believe 10 CWO's in a row...even TonyJ is bailing on attending next week...Saskatchewan gets no respect....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
              I have family in Regina and have golfed at 3 other Regina courses. Wascana will be a real test of prairie golf. Wind, wind and more wind. It never stops blowing in Regina except when it is -40. With the drought this year Wascana should be dried out to some extent. If a player can't play in the wind they will be SOL. Forecast is for 20-30 km/hr with gusts. I would bet that it will be stronger some afternoons,.
              Brooke is a good wind player so she should be OK. Some of the girls will be in for a surprise though.

Comment

Originally posted by txman View Post

Wind, wind and more wind. It never stops blowing in Regina except when it is -40. With the drought this year Wascana should be dried out to some extent. If a player can't play in the wind they will be SOL. Forecast is for 20-30 km/hr with gusts. I would bet that it will be stronger some afternoons,.
                I bet a lot of players heading to Regina this week will be unaware of the wind until they get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                  and the CWO attracts a strong field which makes it more difficult to win.
                  An indication of how strong the fields have been over the years can be found in the media guide on page 68: "Leading Canadian Money Winners" which totals all of the money ever won by Canadians since the tournament began.
                  CP Women's Open Media Guide: https://cpwomensopen.com/wp-content/...e-Online-1.pdf
                  (includes all past results and records)

Only 6 Canadians have earned more than $50,000 over the history of the Canadian Women's Open. 17 Canadians have earned more than $10,000. Only 43 Canadians have earned any money at all (or at least more than $400). Remember that it has been running since 1966 and they usually invite a lot of Canadians [I don't know how far back they are tracking the money]

Canadians that have earned more than $10,000 at the Canadian Women's Open.
                  $326,554 Dawn Coe-Jones
                  $323,781 Lorie Kane
                  $167,332 Alena Sharp
                  $80,117 Gail Graham
                  $53,178 Barb Bunkowski
                  $52,252 Brooke Henderson
                  $37,258 Maude-Aimee Leblance
                  $29,491 Sandra Post
                  $26,967 Nancy Harvey
                  $25,662 Jessica Shepley
                  $20,535 A.J. Eathorne
                  $18,491 Chris Greatrex
                  $16,964 Brittany Marchand
                  $15,879 Lisa Walters
                  $13,127 Jocelyn Bourassa
                  $12,010 Lisa Muldrum
                  $11,846 Samantha Richdale

Note: Admittedly, adjusted for inflation, some some of those numbers are more impressive than they appear. For example, Jocelyn Bourassa only received $10,000 for winning in a playoff over Sandra Haynie and Judy Rankin, but that probably wasn't a bad paycheck in 1973 (the lowest payout amount that year was $25)

More on Jocelyn from the LPGA: "The Original Brooke Henderson: Jocelyn Bourassa"
                  http://www.lpga.com/news/nm15-jocely...ada-sports-hof

Pairings for today's Monday Qualifer: https://qs.lpga.com/reports/?tourn=C...=2018~round=1~
                  There are only 6 groups (17 players for 4 spots). I guess Saskatchewan is a long way to go for a qualifier, but you would think that more players would have go (although I suppose most of those potential qualifiers are in Q-School this week).

Today's All-Star Pro-Am Group Assignments: https://cpwomensopen.com/allstar-proam/
                  Last edited by sjmcampbell; Aug 20, 2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Here is my preview and a whole lot more of this week's event:

Comment

Qualifier Results: https://qs.lpga.com/reports/?tourn=C...=2018~round=1~

Qualifiers were: Louise Stahle (SWE), Jennifer Hahn (USA), Bobbi Brandon (CAN) and Kasumi Kuniyoshi (JPN) (a)

REGINA, Sask. (Golf Canada) – Saskatoon native Bobbi Brandon was one of four golfers to claim the final exemptions into the 2018 CP Women’s Open via Monday’s qualifying event at Royal Regina Golf Club.

Brandon, a PGA of Canada Professional who works out of Moon Lake Golf & Country Club, carded a 2-over-par 74 to sit T2 among the 11-player field. This will be Brandon’s second appearance at the CP Women’s Open. She competed in Canada’s National Women’s Open in 1998 at Essex Golf and Country Club in Windsor, Ont., where she missed the cut.

Sweden’s Louise Stahle fired a 2-under par 70 to earn medalist honours.

American Jennifer Hahn (74) and Japanese amateur Kasumi Kuniyoshi (76) earned the final two spots.

Brandon will be the 16th Canadian in the field at the CP Women’s Open. All are trying to become the first Canadian to win an LPGA Tour event on Canadian soil since Canadian Golf Hall of Fame honoured member Jocelyne Bourassa won La Canadienne in 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyj5 View Post
                        Here is my preview and a whole lot more of this week's event:

Thanks, Tony.

Sandra Post previews CP Women's Open: (audio 9:54):
                        http://www.golfnewsnow.ca/voices/voi...p-womens-open/

Comment

Tuesday interviews from ASAP Sports Transcripts
                          Anna Young (five-time Sask Am champ, plays on Symetra, first LPGA event)
                          Alena Sharp
                          Brittany Marchand
                          Ariya Jutanugarn

THE MODERATOR: Will we see driver at all?

ARIYA JUTANUGARN: No chances.

THE MODERATOR: No chance. You had the driver last week, though.

ARIYA JUTANUGARN: I did, yeah.

THE MODERATOR: No chance, though?

ARIYA JUTANUGARN: No. Not here.

Brooke Henderson
                          Chad Fawcett, Bruce Klaassen
                          Last edited by sjmcampbell; Aug 22, 2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

More interviews:
                            Mike Whan, Laurence Applebaum
                            Got to the pro-Am party last night late and ran to the bar to get a beer and they said, We're sold out of beer. I know how much beer we brought in, so I know that that's a good sign. It only happens in Canada and Scotland where they sell out of beer, so that's a great sign.
                            Lydia Ko
                            Sung Hyun Park
                            Brittany Lincicome: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=143061

Pro-Am Tee Times:https://cpwomensopen.com/wp-content/...ProAmTimes.pdf
                            Last edited by sjmcampbell; Aug 22, 2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Here are the leaders after round 1:

1 Mariajo Uribe -8
                              1 Ariya Jutanugarn -8
                              1 Nasa Hataoka -8
                              4 Angel Yin -7
                              4 Nanna Madsen -7

For more scores:

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse