Collapse

Meijer LPGA Classic Preview and Discussion Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meijer LPGA Classic Preview and Discussion Thread

This week the LPGA moves to the state of Michigan for the playing of the Meijer LPGA Classic For Simply Give.

Here is my preview and much more:

Selena Costabile of Thornhill made it through a playoff to Monday Qualify for this week's event.

Gabrielle Shipley is the other qualifier.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/spor...lena-costabile
    Selena Costabile, from Toronto, drained a 35-foot birdie putt on the playoff hole to join Shipley.

“This is so exciting. I just can’t really put it into words how happy I am right now,” Costabile said. “I had been making long putts all day. I had some saves that were 15-footers and almost all of my birdie putts were over 20 feet. I felt a lot of confidence in that putt. I have been working hard on my greens and to have this pay off is really great. In 2016, I received a sponsor’s exemption to the Manulife LPGA event as an amateur, so this will be my second, and I am really excited for that.”

So excited to have Monday qualified for the @MeijerLPGA Classic! Looking forward to a great week in Grand Rapids
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D8vnzmZXUAEs92i.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	2985965
    Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jun 11, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Canadian tee times for Round 1:
      https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/mei...-give/pairings

9:05am (10th): Karine Icher, Brittany Marchand, Selena Costabile
      12:48pm (1st): Marissa Steen, Jaclyn Lee, Anne-Catherine Tanguay
      12:59pm (1st): Haru Nomura, Alena Sharp, Jing Yan
      12:59pm (10th): Lexi Thompson, Brooke Henderson, So Yeon Ryu (all three of which are previous winners of this event)

@JaclynLee57:

Finally back competing this week at @MeijerLPGA come watch if you’re in the area! Feels nice to be out on the golf course again
      Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jun 12, 2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

At 6:00 a.m. ET before the first player was set to tee off in the first round of the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give start times were delayed 90 m...

At 6:00 a.m. ET before the first player was set to tee off in the first round of the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give start times were delayed 90 minutes due to heavy rains. While the golf course maintenance team was able to get started on preparing the course for the day, heavy rains just before daybreak and another band of moderate rain headed towards Bylthefield County Club forced the crew to stop delaying starting times once again.

UPDATE 1:24 p.m.: Round one is set to begin at 2:15 p.m.

UPDATE 12:03 p.m.: The heaviest rains have passed and the drying process begins. With the golf course needing time to dry seven hours have been added to the original start times. Round one of the Meijer LPGA Classic is expected to start at approximately 2:15 p.m.

UPDATE 11:30 a.m.: The hope is to start at 1:45 p.m., six hours and thirty minutes from the original starting times. Another band of more moderate rain is expected over the golf course and how that affects conditions will determine if play can begin at 1:45 p.m. Once the next band of showers passes, a drizzle is expected with clearing skies after 3:00 p.m.

UPDATE 8:44 a.m.: The low-pressure system to the southeast has started to show signs of movement, but the golf course has received over an inch of rain since the storm began. The course is entirely saturated and will need time to drain. The first starting time for the opening round has been delayed a total of six hours with the first starting time set for 1:15 p.m.

UPDATE 8:02 a.m.: Nearly an inch of rain has fallen since the storm began overnight, soaking the golf course beyond the playability standard. With the golf course needing to dry to start the first round have been delay a total of three hours. 10:15 a.m. will be our first starting time at this point.

Comment

Here are the leaders of the Meijer LPGA Classic, when play was suspended during round 1 (there was a 7 hour rain delay):

1 Katherine Perry -6 F
          1 Jenny Shin -6 F
          3 Mariajo Uribe -5 F

For more scores:

Comment

@LPGA:

ACE ALERT!
            Prior to the suspension of play, @BrookeHenderson made a hole-in-one on the par-3 156 yard 15th hole with her 6-iron!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	D8_FjVNXUAE0SWr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	2987467
            She only managed to get 6 holes finished yesterday, but birdied two and eagled one for a -4 to start today T4, two strokes off the leaders (everyone besides Brooke T4 or better has finished their rounds).

UPDATE: She had four more birdies to finish the first round with a 64 (-8) and one-shot lead. 2nd place Ashleigh Buhai promptly bogied the first hole of her second round to make Brooke's lead two.
            Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jun 14, 2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Here are the scores when play was suspended near the end of round 2:

1 Brooke Henderson -16 F
              2 Brittany Altomare -13 F
              3 Jennifer Kupcho -10 F

For more scores:

Comment

Another 64 for Brooke. A three-stroke lead and 6 strokes ahead of third. 8/13 fairways and 12/18 greens but only 24 putts vs 29 in round 1 where she hit 18/18 greens.

https://www.lpga.com/news/2019-meije...nd-round-notes
                RECORD-SETTING DAY – AND MAYBE WEEK – FOR BROOKE HENDERSON

It’s safe to say that Brooke Henderson really likes it at Blythefield Country Club. The eight-time LPGA Tour winner from Canada opened the tournament with rounds of 64, her ninth and 10th rounds in the 60s at the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give. Her 36-hole 128? It’s the best Thursday and Friday of her LPGA career and the best opening two rounds ever at the Meijer LPGA Classic. Her previous best? A 130, which she shot here at Blythewood en route to victory in 2017.

“Generally, I play really well here,” said Henderson. “You can be pretty aggressive around here and tee shots are key, so when my driver's working, I think I give myself a lot of birdie opportunities.”

If Henderson keeps up this pace, she is also setting herself up for a Canadian-recording-setting ninth win on Sunday. She notched her eighth career victory in April at the LOTTE Championship to tie Sandra Post, Mike Weir and George Knudson as the all-time winningest Canadian golfers.
                Interview with Brooke after Round 2

Alena is T25 (-5), Anne-Catherine is T46 (-3) and Jaclyn is T58 (-2) so they will all play the weekend.

Good to see Jennifer Kupcho having a good week. This is only her third event, so even if she doesn't win, she is on track for a nice paycheck which will help when it comes time for the final reshuffle (after the Dow-Great Lakes Bay Invitational in July).
                Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jun 15, 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Here are the leaders after round 3:

1 Brooke Henderson -19
                  2 Annie Park -17
                  3 Lexi Thompson -16
                  3 Brittany Altomare -16

For more scores:

Comment

Brooke 3rd round highlights: https://www.lpga.com/videos/brooke-h...r-lpga-classic
                    Third round interview: https://www.lpga.com/videos/brooke-h...r-lpga-classic

Alena is T9, 6 back.

Comment

Here's hoping Brooke can hold on and set the record for most professional wins by a Canadian (man or woman).

Comment

It is getting tense.

Comment

Win!!
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Well done Brooke. History made.

Comment

UPDATE: video of final putt and greenside interview
                              Watch all the latest Golf clips, highlights, shows, replays, and more on NBC Sports.

Only 21 years old and there are now three tournaments each year that she goes to as a multiple Past Champion, plus several more as just a regular Past Champion.

Top 10 for Alena too!

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/oth...c-a2604fa5e62c

The LPGA Tour said the $300,000 top prize for her second triumph in the Michigan event — she also won in 2017 — the Michigan event would give Henderson a career total of $5,765,641, making her 48th on the all-time list even though she is just in her fifth season on the circuit.

The all-time leader in earnings among Canadians is Charlottetown’s Lorie Kane, who until this past week was 35th with $6,963,047. The overall No. 1 remains retired Swedish superstar Annika Sorenstam with $22,573,192.
                              Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jun 16, 2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X