Collapse

Masters 2020

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I think they just posted a "business as usual" statement 2 or 3 days ago.

What a difference the last couple of days have made.

Golf season starts with The Masters. Now I don't know when to play.
    Bob Weeks just commented yesterday today that he had spoken to sources inside Augusta and they were planning it, guess that changed last night.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Postponed, but for how long? I know that the course had its time scheduled because it was near the end of the golf season down there, prior to it getting too hot to play on the old greens. But they are now all bent, and they have their sub-air system, so it really becomes how lat can they schedule it for without the player dying from the heat? End of May at the latest? And will they coordinate with the other tours to avoid a conflict or just go their own way?

Comment

I was somewhat surprised that the Masters masters decided to postpone the tournament. In the past, Masters officials have demonstrated a somewhat stubborn attitude toward any outsiders suggesting they change anything about how they run their tournament. Perhaps the newer, younger generation of officials, although well indoctrinated to the "Masters way of doing things", are less doctrinaire than the Old Guard.

What would Mr. Roberts have said about this "virus foo-for-rah"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          I was somewhat surprised that the Masters masters decided to postpone the tournament. In the past, Masters officials have demonstrated a somewhat stubborn attitude toward any outsiders suggesting they change anything about how they run their tournament. Perhaps the newer, younger generation of officials, although well indoctrinated to the "Masters way of doing things", are less doctrinaire than the Old Guard.

What would Mr. Roberts have said about this "virus foo-for-rah"?
          They are all old fuddy's so at most risk, maybe that is why ? I am just kidding.

300-350,000 patrons plus thousands of workers , media etc attend this event If an outbreak occurred As a result it would be devastating.

Thankfully, they are on board. I hope they can still have the event, but it does not seem likely at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
            Postponed, but for how long? I know that the course had its time scheduled because it was near the end of the golf season down there, prior to it getting too hot to play on the old greens. But they are now all bent, and they have their sub-air system, so it really becomes how lat can they schedule it for without the player dying from the heat? End of May at the latest? And will they coordinate with the other tours to avoid a conflict or just go their own way?
            Who knows? I had tickets and am bummed but it’s the right call. If they intend to have spectators so many would have to coordinate travel which is a challenge with minimal notice. Tickets are paid for as well. I hope we get to use them next year.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Who knows? I had tickets and am bummed but it’s the right call. If they intend to have spectators so many would have to coordinate travel which is a challenge with minimal notice. Tickets are paid for as well. I hope we get to use them next year.
              As a minimum, they should consider giving those who have tickets for this year to buy for same "slot" next year. Not easy in normal times to get them so it sucks if you're put back into the regular lottery to try try try again.

Comment

Here's an idea...if it does not get played in 2020

Have the Masters 2020 and Masters 2021 two weeks in a row in 2021.
                The Masters 2020 version being the qualifiers for 2020.
                The Masters 2021 version being the qualifiers from the balance of this season (if there is one).

Watching them play at Augusta twice in a year would be awesome for us in the North.

Comment

There is certainly an inconvenience and big disappointment to many, perhaps a small to modest financial cost as well. People come from all over the world for this event....I met folks from Australia, South Africa, Japan .....however there is a devastating impact to the local economy of Augusta. This week IS how they survive.

As I recall, ANGC states clearly on their tickets that there are no refunds for weather or cancelled days. I had a rain out day one year and only got 3 hrs in, others got no time and another buddy was totally washed out one other day....no recourse.

hopefully though with the circumstances with this event they look at something different and give those who won tickets this year first crack next.....however this does those who spend huge dollars buying tickets off another person who got them. Those folks are likely screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by tywl View Post
                    Here's an idea...if it does not get played in 2020

Have the Masters 2020 and Masters 2021 two weeks in a row in 2021.
                    The Masters 2020 version being the qualifiers for 2020.
                    The Masters 2021 version being the qualifiers from the balance of this season (if there is one).

Watching them play at Augusta twice in a year would be awesome for us in the North.
                    I love this idea - it would be the best thing ever. And it doesn't seem overly difficult.

I would expect them to honour this year's ticket holders. Why go thru another lottery?

As for Rusty 's comment "In the past, Masters officials have demonstrated a somewhat stubborn attitude toward any outsiders suggesting they change anything about how they run their tournament."

Nobody told them to cancel their tournament. It's a decision they made based on the information available, and it's a smart one. 250 dead in Italy today. That's kinda a big deal.

They also listen to those outsiders who tell them when the sun rises and sets, and choose to hold the tourney during daylight hours.....

They make their own decisions, but they don't put their hands over their eyes and ears.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Moving the Masters will have repercussions on two fronts, accommodations and volunteers.
                      March Break for Augusta universities and Schools is during Masters week.
                      People either stay in town and volunteer, or leave town for a vacation and rent out their homes and apartments to folks from out of town.

Brampton

Comment

Masters moved to November.....good news for those who were hoping to attend....if they allow fans

Statement from Chairman Ridley:

"We have identified Nov 9-15 as the intended dates to host the 2020 Masters. We hope the anticipation of staging the Tournament brings a moment of joy to the Augusta community and those who love the game."

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                          Masters moved to November.....good news for those who were hoping to attend....if they allow fans

Statement from Chairman Ridley:

"We have identified Nov 9-15 as the intended dates to host the 2020 Masters. We hope the anticipation of staging the Tournament brings a moment of joy to the Augusta community and those who love the game."
                          got an email from them today but not quite ready to book flights just yet. I did book a hotel and rental car though (that I can cancel without penalty)
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Have a hotel as well. Looking to get some additional Tickets. Anyone have Monday/Tuesday practice tickets they can no longer use?

Comment

I sure hope this happens. How many of us have wondered what Augusta National looks like the other 51 weeks of the year. The shadows will be longer, the days shorter, not to mention changes to the trees/flowers, etc.

I wonder what the NFL will do with scheduling. What will CBS do with their games? Will Jim Nantz be in Augusta or KC/Pittsburgh/Foxboro etc.? Sunset in Augusta will be 5:24pm that Sunday so early tee times.

Comment

got an email from them today but not quite ready to book flights just yet. I did book a hotel and rental car though (that I can cancel without penalty)
                                Wouldn't be a horrible drive for you ~ 16 hrs I figure , in case flying remains a concern.... adds a fair bit of time to the trip however .

hoping that you and others get this 2nd chance to attend

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X