Collapse

Gary McCord leaves CBS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary McCord leaves CBS

Just read a story on Golfweek that Gary McCord and Peter kostis have left CBS. To be accurate their contracts were up and CBS decided not to renew. While I could take or leave Kostis with his Konika Minolta Swing vision, I'll, miss McCord. Sometimes he was silly but he brought some humour to the telecasts.
    Last edited by 4wedges; Oct 28, 2019, 04:05 PM.

The opposite for me, but will be interested to see who they are replaced with.

Comment

Too bad, wished they would axe IBF instead
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

For me McCord, ran out of funny jokes a couple of years ago.
        Kotis Konica was OK; I think he was definitely knowledge on the subject.
        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I liked McCord. For me way better than Miller. Maybe he can move over and do the U.S. Open. That crew is brutal.

Comment

McCord outlived his welcome in my opinion, amusing at times but quite irratating otherwise - Kostis grew on me, and being a credible swing coach (Paul Casey) made him a bit more value to me personally from an instructional POV...

That said, the CBS Golf shows have been quite 'unchanged' for the longest time and perhaps time to add some lipstick on the pig.

That said, to others unlike ourselves, golf can be a very boring watch (as I hear from my family on Sunday afternoons), so not really sure what more can be done outside of on course interviews which a lot of the top 'non-Euro' stars are adamantly against - Even Rors refuses to partake.

- Ian
            TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
            TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
            TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
            ​* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
            TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
            TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
            TM TP5 Golf Ball
            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
            Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)
            ​

Comment

McCord is 71 & Kostis is 72 - they were the "old guys" on the team

Comment

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post
                The opposite for me, but will be interested to see who they are replaced with.
                Rumours are Trevor Immelmann and his brother. Perhaps Davis Love III for some broadcasts.
                If you watch Sky Sports I like Rich Beem's work. He does booth and on course reporting and he's good at both. He is funny at times but doesn't force it.
                McCord is angry with how it's been done, I guess he was promised he could leave when he thought it was time, that changed. Both were welcome to return for a couple of tourneys in the new year to say goodbye's but declined. So not a happy ending.
                I liked both of them but admittedly haven't watched much CBS coverage in a few years.

Comment

IMHO, few sports present themselves as badly for broadcast as Golf. The panel of talking heads add very little to the "excitement".
                  If you turned the sound off for The Masters, the Azaleas would still look sweet.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I find golf commentary full of cliches and repetitive for the most part. I really think golf commentators should have short shelf lives. They run of original things to say after a season or two.

Judy Rankin is one I enjoy listening to even though she only covers lpga. Peter Aliss is in a league of his own. The rest are just meh.

Comment

Don't watch golf on TV anyway so I really don;t care. I find it very boring. Play every day but can't watch it on TV.
                      Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                        McCord is 71 & Kostis is 72 - they were the "old guys" on the team
                        had been around for a long time and their unchanged routines became tiring and uninteresting. They both tried to be funny and were initially but their schtick became annoying.

Knowledgeable guys who served the industry well but their shelf lives had passed. Lucky them to be doing a job they love for that long.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post

Rumours are Trevor Immelmann and his brother. Perhaps Davis Love III for some broadcasts.
                          If you watch Sky Sports I like Rich Beem's work. He does booth and on course reporting and he's good at both. He is funny at times but doesn't force it.
                          McCord is angry with how it's been done, I guess he was promised he could leave when he thought it was time, that changed. Both were welcome to return for a couple of tourneys in the new year to say goodbye's but declined. So not a happy ending.
                          I liked both of them but admittedly haven't watched much CBS coverage in a few years.
                          Not sure I would want to work until 71 or 72.
                          Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                          Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                          Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                          Ping G400 4H - 22*
                          Ping G400 5 - UW
                          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                          Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                          Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Not sure I would want to work until 71 or 72.
                            I guess that depends on the "work".

I think I'd find it hard to turn down an opportunity to travel around the country to all the best courses and spending my time with old friends I used to compete with, and some young new guys too.

AND getting paid for it?????

I think I'd find that really hard to turn down.

Now my real life job of excessive meetings, frustrations, bureaucracy, dimwits, antagonists, primas donna, flakes, curmudgeons, know-it-alls, know-nothings, careerists, blowhards, time pressures and the occasional success?

That's somewhat easier to turn down.....
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

So who we gonna see/hear next?

Rich Beem
                              DL3

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard