/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

No Laying Up Podcast No. 282 Peter Kostis

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Laying Up Podcast No. 282 Peter Kostis

In a fiery, 50-minute interview with Chris Solomon of No Laying Up, Kostis gave his unfettered and unfiltered opinions on everything from his own relationship with CBS to the PGA Tour’s control over golf broadcasts and even a little riff on the controversy du jour, Patrick Reed.

https://podbay.fm/podcast/880837011

I've started posts before about Improving Lies and I guess it's being brought up again ...this time with Patrick Reed being the latest example. Tour needs to address this because I think it's pretty rampant.

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post
    In a fiery, 50-minute interview with Chris Solomon of No Laying Up, Kostis gave his unfettered and unfiltered opinions on everything from his own relationship with CBS to the PGA Tour’s control over golf broadcasts and even a little riff on the controversy du jour, Patrick Reed.

I've started posts before about Improving Lies and I guess it's being brought up again ...this time with Patrick Reed being the latest example. Tour needs to address this because I think it's pretty rampant.
    It may be rampant, but in the Kostis interview he said he never sees it other than the times he has observed Patrick Reed doing it.

I know it is rampant in the Mens day events I play in and it is ridiculous. Thats a whole different discussion though.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

It may be rampant, but in the Kostis interview he said he never sees it other than the times he has observed Patrick Reed doing it.

I know it is rampant in the Mens day events I play in and it is ridiculous. Thats a whole different discussion though.
      If you watch enough golf, you'll see it happens especially when players put/push "down" their club behind a ball in the rough, lie is improved. I created a post on here before when I was watching a tourney with Jon Rahm once. He was moving the club around and I also visibly saw the lie looked much better before he hit the ball out of the rough.

Rules need "adjusting" not quite like sand rule ie no touching at all but any sort of "hard grounding" is improving the lie.

Comment

Great interview. Very telling interview about what the PGA Tour thinks of the fans watching golf.
        Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
        TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
        Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
        Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
        Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
        Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
        Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
          Great interview. Very telling interview about what the PGA Tour thinks of the fans watching golf.
          i think I'll add this to the queue just based on that comment alone.

Comment

Kostis was a brilliant interview. He did not hold back and dropped a lot of very interesting nuggets of information, especially around the restrictions the broadcast does have. Now, he did just get fired, so there's a few sour grapes in the mix, but it was great stuff. Highly recommend.

Comment

I thought Kostis was honest and didn't come off bitter. His statements about the Tour just wanting to promote their brand make sense to the Tour but not golfers in general. The idea that rising costs to acquire TV rights affect the quality of the broadcast is something they will have to consider in the future. So he brought some issues to the fore.
              As for Reed, it's pretty clear what Kostis thinks and the method he describes is not terribly uncommon, Brooks mentioned it this week as well. A few guys I've played with use a slightly different method, when trying to identify their ball, they place one foot directly behind the ball (only in the rough) to kneel down and ID their ball. This has the same effect of improving the line of play. It become very obvious when they don't do it to ID the ball in the fairway. But trying having that conversation.

Comment

It's the exact opposite. There are a few offenders who test the limits, but not a rampant problem.

Comment

I get that a content provider may want to move on from some long-time on air personalities. But Davis Love over Kostis or McCord? I also don't understand why dullsville Love would do this gig over playing on the seniors tour, which seems to look like fun. Heck he lives in golfer heaven to begin with. I suppose guaranteed money might be the reason. But I'm sure he's richer than god to begin with. Sorry, sideways rant over.

Comment

Great podcast. I’ve always enjoyed the banter between the boys. Kostis’ take on the state of broadcasting was interesting. It seems Reed is a bit more fast and loose with the rules than we thought.
                    99% of the instruction you read in books and magazines, see on TV, or receive from your coach is correct. Itís just that most of it doesnít apply to you - Mike Adams

Comment

Love their podcasts, they have another podcast under their brand called the Trap Draw and the August 2018 episode; The Journey of Tiger is spectacular and wild, one of the best nuggets was that his dog got double ACL surgery around the time he was rehabbing, its a crazy look back at his life from 2009 to 2018 well worth the 1:30ish spent IMO

Comment

Kudos to Cameron Smith for nailing it right on the head: "Patrick Reed is a cheat".

End of story.

Comment

This episode of NLU was excellent - Trying not to knock Davis, and McCord didn’t do much for me, but Kostis was a loss for CBS.

Peter’s insights were damning but oh so interesting, can’t understand the CBS thought process but suppose there is another side we’ll never hear...

Patrick is a life-long cheater from his early days and the PGA should deal with him severely when he inevitably is caught again, as it appears the golf world at large won’t let up on the little @ss and he’s a distraction.

Kostis has many other irons in the fire with teaching and coaching, but his dismissal from CBS (and GOLF mag earlier) hopefully gives him some capacity to give us more insights through some other medium in the near future.

- Ian
                          Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                          Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                          Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                          Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                          Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                          Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                          SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                          Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                          Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

NLU consistently puts out the best golf content, and it's not even close.

Comment

The Youtube video was funny where they said he started with a sand wedge and eventually ended up hitting a 3 wood and the commentator saying that wasn't the lie he started with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AeijbXrjjU&feature=emb_logo

And then the most recent two stroke penalty in the sand where he absolutely moved sand NOT ONCE BUT TWICE. It wasn't small touch either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7UJrsUr5g

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,141   Posts: 1,863,133   Members: 47,779   Active Members: 328
                              Welcome to our newest member, shrigs.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X