/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

US Open Qualifying

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Open Qualifying

US Open maybe not
    Last edited by 4underthru9; May 20, 2020, 06:56 PM.
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

This year’s event is not an open. It should be called the USGA Invitational.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

It’s usually the weakest major of the bunch so maybe adding the invites will make it more competitive.
      Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
      TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
      Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
      Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
      Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
      Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
      Ping Hoofer

Comment

it may or may not be more competitive, but that’s not the point of an open tournament, which the USGA appears to have lost sight of.

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
        It’s usually the weakest major of the bunch so maybe
        adding the invites will make it more competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
          This year’s event is not an open. It should be called the USGA Invitational.
          So if the USO is actually played this year and Eldrick wins....there should be an asterisk beside his name?

This really is the only way the USO can be conducted this.....ya it will break the hearts of the 10000+ players that want to qualify...but that just can't happen this year.
          If you look at the past winners....most of the winners qualified to play in the USO without having to qualify.

It will be a daunting task who the USGA invites for the 4 USGA events....but for the USO and USWO....we might see more highly ranked Am's invited.

Comment

I agree that the the winner wouldn’t likely come from the ranks of the qualifiers, but that’s irrelevant. Long shots sometimes win. It certainly happened with Francis Ouimet in the 1913 US Open as well as Orville Moody (1969), Steve Jones (1996), Michael Campbell (2005) and Lucas Glover (2009), the latter four all having gone through qualifiers. An “Open” is characterized by the possibility that qualified players have a shot at playing in the event. That won’t happen this year.

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post

So if the USO is actually played this year and Eldrick wins....there should be an asterisk beside his name?

This really is the only way the USO can be conducted this.....ya it will break the hearts of the 10000+ players that want to qualify...but that just can't happen this year.
            If you look at the past winners....most of the winners qualified to play in the USO without having to qualify.

It will be a daunting task who the USGA invites for the 4 USGA events....but for the USO and USWO....we might see more highly ranked Am's invited.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
              I agree that the the winner wouldn’t likely come from the ranks of the qualifiers, but that’s irrelevant. Long shots sometimes win. It certainly happened with Francis Ouimet in the 1913 US Open as well as Orville Moody (1969), Steve Jones (1996), Michael Campbell (2005) and Lucas Glover (2009), the latter four all having gone through qualifiers. An “Open” is characterized by the possibility that qualified players have a shot at playing in the event. That won’t happen this year.
              While technically true, does it really warrant changing the name and having a one-time US Invitational winner?

There are a lot of reasons that made holding a "true" Open this year. Among the biggest is the differences in how golf (and thus Qualifiers) is allowed to be played in different states and other jurisdictions.

Add to that the impracticality of international travel - quarantine for 2 weeks when you arrive, and another 2 weeks when you go home. That limits the field too.

Anyways, is it truly "open" in the first place, when qualifying is restricted to those with an HC of 1.4 or better? You never know, I coulda had a hot week and gone on a run. But I never even got the chance to try.

Thinking about Mr22Putt's comment a little.... so if Tiger does happen to win this year, how many majors will he have? Should this count as a major? Never mind the ancient history, you really can't ignore the fact that Glover and Campbell's wins came during the Tiger Era. Heck - he even won twice in 1996 so you could include Steve Jones's win in the Tiger Era as well.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

I'll tell you how tough it is to qualify. In 1984 when I lived in Oklahoma I played in a 18 hole pre-qualifier at Southern Hills in Tulsa, no practice round allowed. I shot 74 and missed moving on to the 36 hole qualifier by SIX shots. A quick dose of reality for me.
                King Cobra F9 10.5* Tour, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
                Cobra F8 5 wood 17*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3
                Mizuno CLK 21*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
                Yonex Super Renkin Tour 4-pw, 24*-47*, stock S graphite
                Cobra MIM forged 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S

Ping Glide 1.0 ES 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
                Ping Eye 2+, 57.5*, KT-M S
                Ping Karsten Pal TR, 35"

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

I never expected that the title would be changed, and I well understand the challenges posed by the pandemic. The loss of its openness is what got to me. By the way, the absence of qualifiers won’t affect you. You could have the most outstanding rounds of your life, and there is 0% chance of your having qualified. In fact it’s only a minuscule number of golfers who could even dream of qualifying. You and I ... forget it, even if we were in our 20s again.

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

While technically true, does it really warrant changing the name and having a one-time US Invitational winner?

There are a lot of reasons that made holding a "true" Open this year. Among the biggest is the differences in how golf (and thus Qualifiers) is allowed to be played in different states and other jurisdictions.

Add to that the impracticality of international travel - quarantine for 2 weeks when you arrive, and another 2 weeks when you go home. That limits the field too.

Anyways, is it truly "open" in the first place, when qualifying is restricted to those with an HC of 1.4 or better? You never know, I coulda had a hot week and gone on a run. But I never even got the chance to try.

Thinking about Mr22Putt's comment a little.... so if Tiger does happen to win this year, how many majors will he have? Should this count as a major? Never mind the ancient history, you really can't ignore the fact that Glover and Campbell's wins came during the Tiger Era. Heck - he even won twice in 1996 so you could include Steve Jones's win in the Tiger Era as well.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,233   Posts: 1,863,860   Members: 47,798   Active Members: 335
                  Welcome to our newest member, EricT.
                  Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                  X