Collapse

Ryder Cup 2020

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryder Cup 2020

The PGA of America and the European Tour are expected to announce the cancellation of the 2020 Ryder Cup, today.
    TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Originally posted by WWFS View Post
    The PGA of America and the European Tour are expected to announce the cancellation of the 2020 Ryder Cup, today.
    Rumour I've been hearing is that the 2020 Ryder Cup will be postponed to 2021, not cancelled. The Presidents Cup will similarly be shifted by a year, to 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post

Rumour I've been hearing is that the 2020 Ryder Cup will be postponed to 2021, not cancelled. The Presidents Cup will similarly be shifted by a year, to 2022.
      That's in the paper this morning. Oddly enough, it brings the RC back to an odd year event, noting 2001 RC was moved back a year owing to 9/11. Good decision. That event is made for fans!

Comment

Peter Burns @ ESPN - just drooped that lee Westwood kissed tiger on the mouth at hazeltine post Ryder cup party 🤪

Comment

I have two tickets to the Sunday round so happy it got moved until 2021 considering everything lol Hoping by next year it will be a go!

Comment

Given the recent experiences of Jon Rahm and BDC regarding COVID, what are the chances that either of the Ryder Cup teams will be affected by players testing positive? And if so, what would be the most practical contingency plans before and during the event?

Comment

Captain Stricker named his 6 picks today for the US Ryder Cup:

Harris English
              Scheffler
              X man
              Finau
              Daniel Berger
              Spieth

Notable not picked: Top 5, Na, Kisner, and Billy Ho

Auto-qualified: DJ, Morikawa, Koepka, DeChambeau, Cantlay, Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                Captain Stricker named his 6 picks today for the US Ryder Cup:

Harris English
                Scheffler
                X man
                Finau
                Daniel Berger
                Spieth

Notable not picked: Top 5, Na, Kisner, and Billy Ho

Auto-qualified: DJ, Morikawa, Koepka, DeChambeau, Cantlay, Thomas
                No Patrick Reed. That alone will ensure that I watch all three days...

Comment

Stricker specifically mentioned concerns about Reed's 'health' as part of his rationale for not picking him. So, even if Koepka as do withdraw due to his wrist injury, I doubt very much that Reed will be selected as an alternate. Further, Reed's behaviour in the wake of previous Ryder Cup and President's Cup events probably did not endear him to his peers, not to mention Reed's latest 'rules interpretation' at The Farmer's event. Add it up, and Reed may have outlived his usefulness in team events. I hope he took lots of pictures when he last played in them.

That said, if an alternate is required, I hope that Na gets the nod.

Comment

Although Stricker is well-regarded, he has no majors over a lengthy career. His players have thirteen combined majors, and his vice-captains have seven.

I wonder whether he may encounter some credibility issues with his more-accomplished players regarding strategy or even tactics. There may be concerns over Stricker's inability to land at least one of the 'big ones'.

Comment

My early prediction for the Ryder Cup is 17-11 Europe.

IMO, the recent Solheim Cup is a good predictor of how a team will bond and support one another in an environment where they have little or no fan support on foreign soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                        Although Stricker is well-regarded, he has no majors over a lengthy career. His players have thirteen combined majors, and his vice-captains have seven.

I wonder whether he may encounter some credibility issues with his more-accomplished players regarding strategy or even tactics. There may be concerns over Stricker's inability to land at least one of the 'big ones'.
                        I think the bigger issue for the US will be leadership in the clubhouse. None of these players sticks out as being a great leader or motivator. Even with the majors they have, none of them have a really dominant personality.

Who is going to take the reigns if the going gets tough? Maybe BDC and Koepka will step in? Perhaps Spieth and Thomas? It wouldn't surprise me if Tiger makes an appearance to provide support.

The US has a tough task to take down the Euro team. I hope it's close.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post

I think the bigger issue for the US will be leadership in the clubhouse. None of these players sticks out as being a great leader or motivator. Even with the majors they have, none of them have a really dominant personality.

Who is going to take the reigns if the going gets tough? Maybe BDC and Koepka will step in? Perhaps Spieth and Thomas? It wouldn't surprise me if Tiger makes an appearance to provide support.

The US has a tough task to take down the Euro team. I hope it's close.
                          Phil may be the key personality in this whole thing. However, I don't think it will be enough. And, Phil may show a lot of deference to Stricker (although Tom Watson may not be so sure).

Comment

One of the Ryder Cup issues for the U.S. team has always been their inability to function as a true team. Talent - no question. Teamwork - not so much. I like that Stricker "snubbed" Reed - he already has enough issues with BDC. If the U.S. team can put their egos and personalities aside for a few days, based on talent alone, they should win. But this is not strictly a talent game. As the Europeans have shown on too many recent occasions. Tiger will probably make an appearance - his sponsors are probably clamoring for him to be more visible during his rehab. Teamwork will be a critical factor here - not only with the participants, but also the coaches. As I have never been a fan of Lefty, I am not sure he can add value to the coaching mix.
                            No good deed goes unpunished.
                            A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                              One of the Ryder Cup issues for the U.S. team has always been their inability to function as a true team. Talent - no question. Teamwork - not so much. I like that Stricker "snubbed" Reed - he already has enough issues with BDC. If the U.S. team can put their egos and personalities aside for a few days, based on talent alone, they should win. But this is not strictly a talent game. As the Europeans have shown on too many recent occasions. Tiger will probably make an appearance - his sponsors are probably clamoring for him to be more visible during his rehab. Teamwork will be a critical factor here - not only with the participants, but also the coaches. As I have never been a fan of Lefty, I am not sure he can add value to the coaching mix.
                              First off I don't disagree with you, in my mind being a team matters BUT I can't come up with a justifiable reason why. The best I've gotten is maybe you get that extra little bit of concentration because you want to win for your team.
                              Golf is such a individual driven sport, even when playing as a team. Is Finau going to hit a better drive because he likes his playing partner? Hard to believe that. They are all athletes and competitive, so trying to win is never in question.

I guess I have to chalk it up to the intangibles.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X