Mike Whan stepping down as LPGA Commissioner this year

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Whan stepping down as LPGA Commissioner this year

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/lpg...step-down-year

PGA commissioner Mike Whan made a stunning announcement Wednesday that he will step down sometime this year.

Whan, who recently completed his 11th year at the helm of the LPGA, recently notified the tour’s board of directors of his decision. There is no set date for his departure.

In a letter to LPGA staff, members and sponsors, Whan said that he reached his decision after “many, many months of deep introspection.”

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan made a stunning announcement Wednesday that he will step down sometime this year.

Whan, who recently completed his 11th year at the helm of the LPGA, recently notified the tour’s board of directors of his decision. There is no set date for his departure.

In a letter to LPGA staff, members and sponsors, Whan said that he reached his decision after “many, many months of deep introspection.”

“I simply wouldn’t leave the LPGA if I thought the future was uncertain or not trending straight up,” he wrote. “In fact, even after the challenges we faced in 2020, the LPGA has NEVER been more financially secure, deeper in leadership talent, or more anchored by passionate, diverse sponsors from all around the world. The LPGA is poised for even greater heights, and as such, I’m excited to hand the baton to the next leader and become their biggest supporter.”

Whan will exit as the longest-tenured commissioner in tour history. Over the past 11 years he rescued the LPGA from the brink and guided the tour through a series of financial challenges, most recently the coronavirus pandemic. The LPGA recently announced an ambitious schedule for this year, a 34-event slate that features new tournaments, new sponsors and a record $76.45 million in prize money. In 2010, the year Whan took over, the LPGA had only 24 official events – its smallest schedule in nearly 40 years – and just $41.4 million in prize money.

LPGA board chair Diane Gulyas called Whan a "transformational leader" of the LPGA.
    Interview with Mike Whan on Golf Channel (video, 14:54): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKga2ze6dp4

I think Mike Whan has done a great job and deserves congratulations for what he has done to turn the tour around this past decade.

I didn't realize he was on the job so long, and had forgotten the shape the LPGA Tour was in when he started. Kudos to him for a job well done.

Comment

"The LPGA recently announced an ambitious schedule for this year, a 34-event slate that features new tournaments, new sponsors and a record $76.45 million in prize money."

That's fantastic news for women. How many professional sports can make this claim?

Comment

Didn't take long for a new job - the new CEO of the USGA

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post

https://twitter.com/USGA/status/1362069384060092417
          In these days of equality, I'd have to call that a "lateral move"....

Just kidding, of course.

This is probably a good thing for the USGA - I sure think he was good for the LPGA. He seems very competent.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

Good for him! I think he will do a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post

https://twitter.com/USGA/status/1362069384060092417
              Lots of dislike for the USGA on a US forum , hopefully he can change that. Good luck to him.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                This is probably a good thing for the USGA - I sure think he was good for the LPGA. He seems very competent.
                Whan was an action oriented guy in his LPGA tenure.

He's a natural communicator.
                But IMO....he spoke too fast and could be a bit 'cheesy' (tried to be funny too often) at times in his dialogue.

He's the ultimate sales guy...nothing wrong with that.
                I thought his next role might have been an Exec VP of Marketing at a large organization....or a VP role in sponsorships/biz development for the PGA tour.

Ty Votaw. past LPGA commish, went to the PGA tour in 2006.
                His relationship with Sophie Gustafson, created a conflict of interest, likely leading to his LPGA departure.

Comment

Soo - who’s gonna run the LPGA?sorry if posted and I missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Lots of dislike for the USGA on a US forum , hopefully he can change that. Good luck to him.
                    Whan was approachable and engaging to staff, LPGA members and golf fans....this likely will help him change any poor image/reputation of the USGA.

At least he won't butcher the USWO trophy presentations like Diana "5 Martini" Murphy.

2016 with "Bethany" Lang....and an awkward presentation with Sung Hyun Park in 2017.
                    Whan will at least be able to pronounce the Korean gals names as they continue to dominate the USWO.

But I have to say....I'll miss Egg Head.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                      Soo - who’s gonna run the LPGA?sorry if posted and I missed it.
                      They don't know yet.
                      https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/lpga-...spencer-stuart

They have hired an executive search firm, Spencer Stuart, to help them find a new commissioner working with the LPGA Board of Directors. There is an email at the link above if you are interested in applying (or want to recommend someone).

Comment

Originally posted by sjmcampbell View Post

They don't know yet.
                        https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/lpga-...spencer-stuart

They have hired an executive search firm, Spencer Stuart, to help them find a new commissioner working with the LPGA Board of Directors. There is an email at the link above if you are interested in applying (or want to recommend someone).
                        Rumours are it's Carolyn Bivens' sister.

Comment

Mr22putt im gonna throw your name in sir

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                            Mr22putt im gonna throw your name in sir
                            Thanks.
                            I give you the standard head hunter's 20% fee.
                            I think the commish base salary is/was approx $850,000 US

I think Egg Head's base salary is approx $1.3M US.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post

Whan was approachable and engaging to staff, LPGA members and golf fans....this likely will help him change any poor image/reputation of the USGA.

At least he won't butcher the USWO trophy presentations like Diana "5 Martini" Murphy.

2016 with "Bethany" Lang....and an awkward presentation with Sung Hyun Park in 2017.
                              Whan will at least be able to pronounce the Korean gals names as they continue to dominate the USWO.

But I have to say....I'll miss Egg Head.
                              Yes, but isn't it the current President of the USGA for that year who hands over the trophies? Not the permanent staff? I guess this was the USGA way of veering away from the inbreeding that has been occurring over the last 50 years-Hannigan to Fay to Davis, all brought up in the workings of the USGA. I guess maybe they got tired of the players always complainin about Championship setups.

I think Whan will do a good job there, although he might have actually done a better job if he had gone to the PGA Tour.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X