Collapse

JT and slur

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, didn't get a chance to read all - My take:
    • Open mike season on the 'other' F-bomb (Watch some of the Rahm clips from The Sentry) - Not sure if this a purposeful change, or lack of crowd noise, I've NEVER heard more F-bombs on a golf telecast and I watch the PGA each and every week.
    • WHY the F would JT not just say the aforementioned F-bomb?? There are SO many other great words to scream that don't start with F that would get him an easy pass.
    Another said they haven't used 'that' word in 40 years, completely agree. It was sadly acceptable when I was a kid, but today 'that' word is up there with words that start with 'N', or 'C' that you simply do not utter if you have any semblance of intelligence.

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post

You learn something new everyday.... I never equated that with homophobia.

God I'm naive.....
      My gay friend was called that, and took it as a compliment...

Comment

What I don't understand is the context in which the slur was used.

Was it in response to a bad shot? If so, I don't get the connection. Countless times I've used the Great Australian Adjective in response to one of my own bad shots, but never a homophobic slur. I dunno...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Was it in response to a bad shot? If so, I don't get the connection. Countless times I've used the Great Australian Adjective in response to one of my own bad shots, but never a homophobic slur. I dunno...
          He missed a putt. I would never swear on those occasions, as it would not be surprising nor unlikely.
          Last edited by QuentinJJ; Jan 14, 2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I've probably said it under my breath and many other things far, far worse after a bad shot. Not proud of it at all. This game will drag it out of you eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post
              Not the best choice of words, not the end of the world. Apologize, pay a fine, make a donation to a relevant organization, and move on. This happened to Morgan Rielly a few years ago and he's still one of the most popular and well respected Leafs players.

You can really tell who played team sports in their teens, and who played sax in the school band.
              LOL I did both. I blame it all on the sax.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Apologising does cut it, do you actually believe him? If it's in him to say it in the first place, then it's there in his DNA, and it ain't going to go away with a pathetic apology.
                What would you propose happen to Justin then?

Comment

I think most agree that completely eliminating such slurs from our vocabulary is a change for the good. Intent and context should matter through that change IMO. Unfortunately part of cancel/outrage culture is that intent or context is irrelevant. Although that "rule" is often selectively applied.

Was reading recently how linguistic traps have become a weapon in the SJW movement and media. Essentially expanding the definition of words like homophobic or racist to trap as many people as possible and then apply punishment based on the original narrow definition. It is a hardline means to an end.
                  Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                    I think most agree that completely eliminating such slurs from our vocabulary is a change for the good. Intent and context should matter through that change IMO. Unfortunately part of cancel/outrage culture is that intent or context is irrelevant. Although that "rule" is often selectively applied.

Was reading recently how linguistic traps have become a weapon in the SJW movement and media. Essentially expanding the definition of words like homophobic or racist to trap as many people as possible and then apply punishment based on the original narrow definition. It is a hardline means to an end.
                    Fair enough.

However, I still don't know why JT would use it in particular in response to a bad golf shot.

Comment

Fair enough.

However, I still don't know why JT would use it in particular in response to a bad golf shot.
                      Has he explained? If not, then we can only speculate (as many are doing). I think some of the context is safe to assume though. It was most likely not addressed towards someone other than himself or an object. Hating homosexuals (while possibly true) is a leap from that IMO. My speculative guess would be that he is stuck in old patterns of using such language as a put down. For many that time was long long ago.
                      Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

RL drops JT sponsorship

Comment

[QUOTE=outthere;n3304006]RL drops JT sponsorship [/QUOTE

January 15, 2021 – At the Ralph Lauren Corporation, we believe in the dignity of all people, regardless of age, race, gender identity, ethnicity, political affiliation or sexual orientation. This is part of our longstanding commitment to foster cultures of belonging – in the workplace and in communities around the world.

We are disheartened by Mr. Thomas’s recent language, which is entirely inconsistent with our values. While we acknowledge that he has apologized and recognizes the severity of his words, he is a paid ambassador of our brand and his actions conflict with the inclusive culture that we strive to uphold.

In reflecting on the responsibility we have to all of our stakeholders, we have decided to discontinue our sponsorship of Mr. Thomas at this time. As we make this decision, our hope is that Mr. Thomas does the hard and necessary work in order to partner with us again – truly examining this incident, learning, growing and ultimately using his platform to promote inclusion.

Comment

As predicted with Ralph Lauren/Polo. I would be surprised if Titleist/FJ doesn't follow suit...

Comment

Fair enough.

Perhaps admonishing himself for making a "weak" shot? I've heard golfers call each other "Sally" or similar when they come up way short on a putt.
                              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                              Srixon Star XV
                              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by RS83 View Post
                                As predicted with Ralph Lauren/Polo. I would be surprised if Titleist/FJ doesn't follow suit...
                                If they do, he'll get picked up by another company in a second.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X