Collapse

Matt Kuchar’s new “Reverse” Arm Lock putting style

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Kuchar’s new “Reverse” Arm Lock putting style

In 2010 Kuchar started using the (then) new arm lock putting style where the extended grip portion of the club rests on the lead forearm. However, at the 2021 Maters Kuchar debuted a new style, the “reverse” arm-anchor, where the grip rests on the trail forearm, as pictured below.

Comntators noted the odd looking grip and wondered why he made the swtich.
    'I've never seen that': Announcers react to eye-catching putting style (golf.com)

Indeed, when he first picked up the armlock method, he was ranked at 8th and 9th overall in putting. He settled down to between 32nd – 45th in the middle of the decade, but bounced way up to 8th in 2020. But, his 2121 stats have him way down to 85/100 position in putting. He seemed to be struggling

In order to make the change he would have had to significantly change the loft of the putter head, from a high positive loft, to accommodate a huge forward press, to a high negative head loft.

So his new “reverse” method does not seem to be working. Why he changed when it seemed to be going well is a mystery. It does not seem to be working for him. Have to wonder how long he will keep it up.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Any arm lock should be banned. Only the hands to touch the club. The reverse looks even more silly.

Comment

I agree. To me arm-lock is even more "anchored" than a belly or long-putter.
      WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
      Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65
      Titleist TS2 13.5 fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
      Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
      Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
      Mizuno JPX-900F GW with Steelfiber i110cw
      Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
      Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
      Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
      Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
      *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! .... if we ever get to play FFS !$#@! ***

Comment

The name given the grip method is really a highly exaggerated descriptor. There is no "lock" involved at all. The technique would more appropriately be called "arm rest", but that would have other connotations.

I made a prototype which was too long, and the grip originally extended above the elbow joint, In that configuration, it was possible to anchor the grip into the bend of the upper arm. But allowing the grip to extend beyond the pit of the elbow is illegal - so I shortened the club.

Having said that, it is possible to hold such putters improperly, in an illegal fashion, but I am not aware of anyone having been called on that.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
          The name given the grip method is really a highly exaggerated descriptor. There is no "lock" involved at all. The technique would more appropriately be called "arm rest", but that would have other connotations.

I made a prototype which was too long, and the grip originally extended above the elbow joint, In that configuration, it was possible to anchor the grip into the bend of the upper arm. But allowing the grip to extend beyond the pit of the elbow is illegal - so I shortened the club.

Having said that, it is possible to hold such putters improperly, in an illegal fashion, but I am not aware of anyone having been called on that.
          How'd the experiment go? I'm thinking of picking up an Odyssey version.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

How'd the experiment go? I'm thinking of picking up an Odyssey version.
            Great! Here is a picture of the prototype (on the left) next to the build using a Stuart Cox head, which I have been using for a year now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502 - Copy New Putter.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	3361682

I have been getting total average putts down into the low 30's. My putting confidence has really gone up. The principle benefit for me is that the club helps with squaring the face at impact. I don't wobble as much.

I see the Oddyssey comes in 2 lengths. I am a bit under 6 feet tall and started out my prototype with a 42 inch shaft, which was way too long. I went down to a 40 inch shaft and that is perfect for me. The Oddysey head at 410 grams is properly weighted. Some reviewers felt the grip on that club is too skinny.

I have the JumboMax, JumboFlat 17" Armlock Putter Grip on mine and find it really comfortable, especially with the flat side that fits onto the lead forearm. The only drawback is that it only fits (tightly) into one hole in my bag.

Some reviewers found it took time to adjust to the change to a longer putter. I felt comfortable from the day I started using mine and don't plan on going back.

I can't imagine how Kuchar made the switch to a "reverse" arm lock configuration.

Comment

Great! Here is a picture of the prototype (on the left) next to the build using a Stuart Cox head, which I have been using for a year now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502 - Copy New Putter.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	3361682

I have been getting total average putts down into the low 30's. My putting confidence has really gone up. The principle benefit for me is that the club helps with squaring the face at impact. I don't wobble as much.

I see the Oddyssey comes in 2 lengths. I am a bit under 6 feet tall and started out my prototype with a 42 inch shaft, which was way too long. I went down to a 40 inch shaft and that is perfect for me. The Oddysey head at 410 grams is properly weighted. Some reviewers felt the grip on that club is too skinny.

I have the JumboMax, JumboFlat 17" Armlock Putter Grip on mine and find it really comfortable, especially with the flat side that fits onto the lead forearm. The only drawback is that it only fits (tightly) into one hole in my bag.

Some reviewers found it took time to adjust to the change to a longer putter. I felt comfortable from the day I started using mine and don't plan on going back.

I can't imagine how Kuchar made the switch to a "reverse" arm lock configuration.
              That's really interesting. I've been a claw guy for the last 15 years or so. Any other way and yip city. Even then the best I've done is 34 putts per round last year. I'm 6'3" and was looking at a 42" version. Golftown only lists the 40" version but I'm hoping a store manager I know can pick up the longer one.

Comment

That's really interesting. I've been a claw guy for the last 15 years or so. Any other way and yip city. Even then the best I've done is 34 putts per round last year. I'm 6'3" and was looking at a 42" version. Golftown only lists the 40" version but I'm hoping a store manager I know can pick up the longer one.
                Yes, the 42" one would be for you. You can still do a claw with the arm lock.

Comment

Yes, the 42" one would be for you. You can still do a claw with the arm lock.
                  Just told I got the last 42 inch model available in Ontario. Yowzer.

Comment

Just told I got the last 42 inch model available in Ontario. Yowzer.
                    Brilliant!!!!! I am sure you will absolutely love it. Going to wear a groove in the carpet practicing in anticipation of getting back outdoors?

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
                      Any arm lock should be banned. Only the hands to touch the club. The reverse looks even more silly.
                      100% agree.The golf club should only be allowed in your hands

Comment

Anchoring anchoring anchoring...

Matt, Webb, Bryson, Will, etc. etc. get in your wins in as fast as you can, the winds of change are blowing again and the 'arm lock' anchor is going to get banned...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/bil...anned-pga-tour
                        Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                        Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                        Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                        Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                        Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                        Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                        SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                        Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                        SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                          Anchoring anchoring anchoring...

Matt, Webb, Bryson, Will, etc. etc. get in your wins in as fast as you can, the winds of change are blowing again and the 'arm lock' anchor is going to get banned...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/bil...anned-pga-tour
                          Because Billy Horschel thinks so? Doubt it.
                          Last edited by nomullies; Apr 24, 2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Brilliant!!!!! I am sure you will absolutely love it. Going to wear a groove in the carpet practicing in anticipation of getting back outdoors?
                            Well FW my baby 42 inch Odyssey finally arrived. And...can't wait to exchange it for a standard putter. It absolutely feels awful. I've taken at least 50 swings with it on my lengthy carpet with no level of comfort. It seemed like such a good idea. In non-pandemic times I would have figured this out at a Golftown lol. It's not the last thing I'll try, that's for sure.

Comment

Well FW my baby 42 inch Odyssey finally arrived. And...can't wait to exchange it for a standard putter. It absolutely feels awful. I've taken at least 50 swings with it on my lengthy carpet with no level of comfort. It seemed like such a good idea. In non-pandemic times I would have figured this out at a Golftown lol. It's not the last thing I'll try, that's for sure.
                              Oh no!!!! That's really unfortunate and very disappointing I am sure.

When I first started with the technique I noted that the club felt quite forceful in dictating the setup stance. I felt like everything about the setup was being very much controlled by where the end of the grip rested on the forearm. I felt I was being forced into a specific position by the club - and I was.

This was a new sensation and yes, left me feeling a bit awkward.

There was a bit of give on that by playing with how far up or down I griped the club, but ultimately the height of the hands on the club should be the same as on a regular putter and so the "feel" shouldn't be too different.

The benefit I saw in the club was that it removed a lot of variation in my set up that I might have unintentionally or unknowingly introduced with a regular putter, because It greatly promoted it being used the same way, every time.

It was more like the club was breaking me in, and not the other way around. I eventually became one with the club.

You might want to give it a bit more time before giving up on it altogether - and try it on a real green.

Something to try might be to use your lead hand only, for some practice putting. That might take out a measure of the initial sense of awkwardness and instill greater confidence in your controlling the club, versus it controlling you.

I am still hoping this works out for you and you may enjoy your putter as much as I do mine.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X