No announcement yet.
Collapse

Gary Players Son Banned for Augusta...?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Players Son Banned for Augusta...?

I don't recall this being a story at all during Masters week, but apparently Player's son might be banned for Augusta after he got caught trying to advertise a golf ball company during the ceremonial tee off.

Gary Player: Son was 'wrong' for Masters marketing stunt (yahoo.com)

https://torontosun.com/sports/golf/s...gusta-national
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

Another instance of the apple falling not far from the tree...

Comment

I think that The Masters made the right decision, but this is not as clear cut as it seems. Take a look at the attached photo I screen grabbed a couple of weeks ago. It is supposed to be a sacred moment but Lee Elder has a PING commercial logo on his bag, and Gary Player has PXG and his personal commercial logo on his bag. And you can't see it in this photo but Jack Nicklaus has his Golden Bear commercial logo on his bag and his hat from other photo's I've seen. Player's son is holding a sleeve of Vero golf balls, who sponsors Gary Player, in a "conspicuous fashion" beside Lee Elder hoping to get the "money shot". So all the brands are legitimate...unlike non-sponsor brands attempting to ambush the Olympics.

But it's tasteless because he understood that a photo opportunity would be a close up with Player and Elder and he positioned the sleeve of balls accordingly. The Masters can deem anything they don't like to be offensive and they came down with the hammer.

Attached Files

Comment

I think the main thing is it's a caddie in uniform holding an item. Which isn't very different from logos on a shirt or hat. But at the same time is very different from logos on a shirt and hat.

Comment

Originally posted by LOFT View Post
            I think that The Masters made the right decision, but this is not as clear cut as it seems. Take a look at the attached photo I screen grabbed a couple of weeks ago. It is supposed to be a sacred moment but Lee Elder has a PING commercial logo on his bag, and Gary Player has PXG and his personal commercial logo on his bag. And you can't see it in this photo but Jack Nicklaus has his Golden Bear commercial logo on his bag and his hat from other photo's I've seen. Player's son is holding a sleeve of Vero golf balls, who sponsors Gary Player, in a "conspicuous fashion" beside Lee Elder hoping to get the "money shot". So all the brands are legitimate...unlike non-sponsor brands attempting to ambush the Olympics.

But it's tasteless because he understood that a photo opportunity would be a close up with Player and Elder and he positioned the sleeve of balls accordingly. The Masters can deem anything they don't like to be offensive and they came down with the hammer.
            Player is invested in the company also.

Even Player’s other son commented that his brother made a douchy move and got what he deserved.
            WIT Mr. PING Hooferlite

PING G410 Plus 9*
            PING G25 4 wood
            PING G400 7 wood
            PING G400 4 hybrid
            PING G400 5 - UW
            Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
            PING Anser 1966 TR

Common sense isn’t so common any more.

Comment

It also looks so greasy......

Comment

It really wouldn't me surprise that Gary told Wayne to hold up the sleeve of golf balls and Wayne is simply a scapegoat.....not willing to throw dad under the bus.

And no surprise that Wayne's brother outed Wayne...I think the brother is estranged from the family.

Gary is a classless Dbag....he should be removed from the ceremonial tee off....always SHOWBOATING .....kicking around and fist pumping to show off .....how he's 5 years older than Jack and much fitter and out driving a younger Jack,

Comment

Caddies and bags? They hit one shot with a driver. Gary apparently is the only champ to have kept his green jacket. Nice.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X