Collapse

PGA Tour 40 Million Bonus Pool

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGA Tour 40 Million Bonus Pool

Apologies if someone has already posted this. Here is a link.

Other than the Fedex results part of it a lot of the ranking is popularity and social media based. A reward to the big names? Also an attempt to kill off big money overseas ventures.

Just how much money does the PGA tour have?

Agree with u - Like the footie Super league deal (which seems to be crumbling) where’s this revenue gonna come from. Viewing habits are changing - there’s fewer people at tournaments, venues - covid will put a dent on people wanting to congregate - I don’t get it.

Comment

'...At the end of the year, a pool of $40 million will be distributed among 10 players, with the player deemed most valuable receiving $8 million....'

I can save them some time and money: Just give Tiger the 40M and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
        Agree with u - Like the footie Super league deal (which seems to be crumbling) where’s this revenue gonna come from. Viewing habits are changing - there’s fewer people at tournaments, venues - covid will put a dent on people wanting to congregate - I don’t get it.
        With the Tour cozying up to Bookmakers and such (as are other professional sports leagues), and inking deals that try and take a cut of revenues and profits in exchange for access to ShotLink data, I can't help but wonder how much of the MVP calculation will be based on the amount of bets placed on the individual players.

PGA Tour and other pro sports leagues may have hit on a way to cash in on legalized gambling: selling their official data to gambling companies.
        TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

There is no way this will work and I have no clue how the players would agree to this, if they were even involved. I understand that the tour wants its players to promote themselves and drive viewership but the only way anyone gets featured on the broadcast is if they're in contention. A great example is Max Homa. His twitter following is massive. His roasts are legendary. Until he started getting some results and his win at Riv, he's not on the broadcast and therefore can't drive viewership just because of his social media presence.

IF the tour/GolfTV went to a "watch every shot" model, maybe then it would be able to correlate popularity with viewership. Otherwise Wesley Bryan should be making more than most with his 100K YouTube subscribers. How does international viewership play into this? Hideki has an entire country behind him but is the tour going to accept him as a top 10 player? The Masters bump will help but he was this popular in Japan for a decade.

It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

What a silly idea
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Lame...the popular top pros don't need the money.
              The PGA should just donate the money to a charity of their choice.

Comment

Some are saying on social media that once Adam Scott set up his OnlyFans account, he will be a guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	56D3343B-2316-4437-929F-3EC354DCA2FF.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	3362568
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Sooooo the guys that are already popular and have the most sponsorship deals will get rewarded with more money from a bonus pool. Prediction, no Canadians will ever get a sniff of this money no matter how many tournaments they win or do well in.

Rory, JT, Brooks, Tiger, DJ, Bryson, finau, spieth and anyone else that has large followings on instagram. Should Paige Spiranic get some of this money? Don't see why not? she's probably got more followers than most of these guys combined

Comment

This.

Comment

How about if they used it to promote some of the lesser tours and the womans?

Comment

I'm struggling to understand the "Why?" and the "Why now?".

Are they worried top guys are going to break off...possible but I'm not sure that is close. As soccer is and will learn, that is WAY harder in practise than it is in theory.

Essentially this becomes a 'salary' for the top guys which again I dont get the why.

Really odd move to me
                          "Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Johnrw View Post

Nah, I'd rather see the money go towards a cause like a young child going through chemo, etc.
                            I'm kinda guessing you'd agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnrw View Post

Nah, I'd rather see the money go towards a cause like a young child going through chemo, etc.
                              I'm kinda guessing you'd agree.
                              I get that they need to figure out how to protect themselves from losing stars to the Premier Golf League, but this is an ugly solution.

Giving more money to the richest players who have to do put in "absolutely no time commitment" (according to one of their agents) isn't really a good look. If you've got buckets of spare cash, find something better to do with it.

It also flies in the face of one of my favourite aspects of professional golf - it's the only one where you don't get paid if you don't perform.

I remember reading way back in Tiger's prime how he made about $10 million in golf winnings, and another $70 or 80 million in endorsements. The guys who move the needle will have similar (if lesser) arrangements and they'll be the same guys to get a new check from this pool. They're the ones who need it least - find something else to do with the money.

Growing the game at the lower tiers, and more support to charities would certainly sit better with me.

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X