Collapse

Hate the Announcer

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate the Announcer

We all have announcers and colour commentators that we dislike or think do a bad job.

I have never liked Azinger and wish that he had not been able to move over from Fox when NBC got back the Open coverage. Now that NBC has 3 of the 4 majors plus Ryder Cup plus Solheim plus Olympics, I may suffer a brain injury if I have to listen to this clown much longer.

At the US Open, he repeatedly kept saying that different players on different holes were in 'the thickest rough on the course'. Not some of the thickest, or it's really thick in there, THE thickest.

Near the end of yesterdays telecast he kept going on and on about how Oosthazen would have the advantage as he was older and already had won an open and everyone else would have nerves, but not him. During the telecast today, Zinger is going on about how much the pressure has gotten to Louis. Then near the end of the first 9, Zinger is going on about how Louis needs to get it together as he is 38 and this may be his last chance and he knows it. Then near the end of the back nine, he is going on about how Louis will still have lots of opportunities. The man can't even remember what he was spouting off about less than 2 hours before.

I'd even prefer Strange or Wadkins to this fool.

With Azinger, it’s the never ending cliches and platitudes that force me to hit the mute button.

Announcing is a tough gig. You have to be interesting for dozens of hours a week. Some can handle it, others cannot. Norman crapped out after one US Open. Pavin lasted a few months.

NBC needs a stronger replacement for Miller. Azinger might work as a hole commentator, but right now he’s been tasked with bringing insight and colour to the telecast…something he has proven woefully ill equipped to deliver. I can’t imagine that Twitter has been kind to him this past week. Maybe NBC will open the coffers and try to lure Phil into a part
    time trial run.

Comment

I like the perspective Bones brings.
      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
      Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
      Ping G400 4H - 22*
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

I completely agree! That fool has got to go…

Comment

I find myself hitting the MUTE button much more often these days, totally agree with OP about Azinger.
          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Another of his cerebral bombs:

"Right now, they are all trying to go as low as they can."

Really, is that what PGA Tour players do?
            In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
            Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
            PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
            TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
            Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
            TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Azinger needs to understand sometimes less is more. If your fumbling for something to say just don’t say anything. He called Conners a great putter. Some that ranks 105th and 144th on tour in putting stats isn’t a great putter.

I
              Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
              Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
              Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
              Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
              Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
              Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                I agree, he brings a unique and informed perspective; I find him enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBananaSlice View Post
                  With Azinger, it’s the never ending cliches and platitudes that force me to hit the mute button.

Announcing is a tough gig. You have to be interesting for dozens of hours a week. Some can handle it, others cannot. Norman crapped out after one US Open. Pavin lasted a few months.

NBC needs a stronger replacement for Miller. Azinger might work as a hole commentator, but right now he’s been tasked with bringing insight and colour to the telecast…something he has proven woefully ill equipped to deliver. I can’t imagine that Twitter has been kind to him this past week. Maybe NBC will open the coffers and try to lure Phil into a part
                  time trial run.
                  That's the key right there: It's a tough gig.

Most people would be awful at it. I don't like Zinger, but I'm not going to nitpick everything he says. Why bother?

I was a big fan of Johnny Miller. Turns out he was very good at the job. Eventually they'll find a decent replacement.

I watched some of The Open on their streaming site with British commentators. Not sure they were any better, there were some cringe-worthy moments on it.

Mostly, I just try to ignore the low points.

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                  Bones is great. He gives you a pretty detailed insight into what the player is facing with a shot, what the options are, and how he thinks it should be played. After having the same discussions with Phil for 25 years, he should be pretty knowledgeable about it. It's also worth mentioning that Phil is no average pro - he's the 2nd best player of the past quarter century.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

I liked McCord, especially for humour, and Kostas. Maybe I'm old school. Azinger also does nothing for me. Almost as bad as Strange. Chamblee isn't well liked but he picked Morikawa because he hits the ball straight. Go figure.

Comment

I agree that most of the time announcers detract from the watching experience. I have recently found myself watching golf on mute.

Comment

Yup, lots of agreement on this one. Less commentary from the main 'booth' would be better, and as has been said, overall the on course reporters are pretty good and provide the better kind of insight.

I did catch some of the online coverage on Thu/Fri via The Open, for holes 14/15/16 and I loved the banter and the voices they had - I believe it was mostly Richard Boxall, Mark Roe, and then a newer lady, Inci Mehmet, who I really enjoyed. Maybe it is just me liking the British accents, but it was a nice change of pace (from the American coverage) and I found they were all pretty knowledgeable, sharp in their analysis, and fun in their commentary about golf, and life.

Comment

theopen.com coverage was miles better than the commentating on GolfChannel/NBC. Also no commercials or yammering on about this player's college golf career or that golfer's connection to so and so. The online commentators also treated the viewer like we knew how golf is played and tried to provide a barometer of difficulty to each shot.
                          It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Bones made it informative. Hopefully he will be asked to comment on all of next year's Majors.

Usually American coverage tries too hard to keep it entertaining.
                            With that in mind, multi club-champion Donald should be in the booth for the Women's Open at Carnoustie.
                            We would get an entertaining club-Pro hole by hole comparison how Trump Turnberry has the better "shot" option.
                            LOL
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X