Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Which player has the best shot at completing the career Grand Slam?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which player has the best shot at completing the career Grand Slam?

Now that the 2021 majors are in the books, we can recap how many players are in a position to complete the career Grand Slam with one more (specific) major.

Rory McIlroy (Masters) - has not won a major since 2014. Also, Rory may have a mental block about Augusta since he melted down on the Sunday back nine years ago.

Jordan Spieth (PGA Championship) - IMO, most likely to complete the slam before anyone else.

Phil Mickelson (U.S. Open) - possible, but highly improbable. The USGA will continue to make the courses longer and tougher, and Phil is not getting any younger. However, no one expected Phil to win another major after the Open Championship years ago, until this year.

Did I forget anyone?

Brooks Koepka (Masters; Open Championship). IMO, he will won at least one of those, and probably both.

Collin Morikawa (Masters; U.S. Open). Given his age and his ball-striking, it would hard to bet against him.

Dustin Johnson (Open Championship; PGA Championship). If he can remain motivated, he could do it. That said, the Open Championship could be his biggest hurdle.

Martin Kaymer (Masters; Open Championship). Highly improbable to win either events.

For historical context (partial) :

Lee Trevino (Masters)

Sam Snead (U.S. Open)

Raymond Floyd (Open Championship)

Arnold Palmer (PGA Championship)

Tom Watson (PGA Championship)

Byron Nelson (Open Championship)

I agree it would probably be Spieth. His game is trending and certainly has the grit to win. He gave away the open championship on saturday with those two bogey putts at the end.

For me I would like to see Phil be the next! I know Mr. FIGJAM is a polarizing character but considering his history with the US Open it would be a good redemption story. I would not be surprised if he won considering he managed to win a Major at 50.........
    Last edited by sunshiNee; Jul 29, 2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Spieth, Colin and Brooks have the best odds but who thought Arnie and Tom couldn't win the fourth? Not many. Lee never loved Augusta.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
        I agree it would probably be Spieth. His game is trending and certainly has the grit to win. He gave away the open championship on saturday with those two bogey putts at the end.

For me I would like to see Phil be the next! I know Mr. FIGJAM is a polarizing character but considering his history with the US Open it would be a good redemption story. I would not be surprised if he won considering he managed to win a Major at 50.........
        Agreed. Spieth is back and looking great and has a great chance to complete the slam.

I'd also like to see Phil complete it, just... because. I'm not sure if he can do it, he's looked pretty bad for most of the last couple of years, other than winning that PGA Championship. He looked unbeatable there. Odd.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

I'm throwing a vote in for Rory. He's struggling but he just needs to be on for one week. Sergio did it. Danny Willet. Charl Schwartzel. Hell even Hideki wasn't winning on the reg prior to April. I think the limited field and a hot putter could bring Rors a jacket.

Gun to my head, Spieth.
          It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Rahm, Morikawa.

Comment

With the amount of talent that exists, I find it hard to reasonably expect anyone to win one or two majors in addition to his current count.

At different points over the last 10 years, this answer likely would have been Rory, then Spieth, then Brooks, and now Morikawa. I think all those guys could win 1 or 2 more. Then you have DJ, Bryson, Rahm, JT, etc. who could add to their titles. Then you have other guys who have a shot at getting their first adn then who knows what beyond that (Xander, Cantlay, Hovland, Simpson, etc.). Just way too much talent out there. You could divy up the next 5 years worth of majors amongst those names and not have anyone get the Slam and in 5 years I am sure that we will have a whole new list of contenders up to the plate.

I think the right answer is either Rory or Jordan. No reason to think either couldn't win the Masters or PGA, respectively. Based on recent form, I lean Spieth.

Comment

"Rory may have a mental block about Augusta since he melted down on the Sunday back nine years ago."

The one thing that many people overlook is the disaster that was 10,11, and 12 that day, if Rory went par,par,par, he still would have lost by 4 strokes. He would have had to shoot 33 on the back to get into a playoff with Schwartzl and 32 to win outright. Never an easy thing to do on Sunday at Augusta.

Rory is still 32. Many kicks at the can remain.

Comment

Originally posted by emvee View Post
                  "Rory may have a mental block about Augusta since he melted down on the Sunday back nine years ago."

The one thing that many people overlook is the disaster that was 10,11, and 12 that day, if Rory went par,par,par, he still would have lost by 4 strokes. He would have had to shoot 33 on the back to get into a playoff with Schwartzl and 32 to win outright. Never an easy thing to do on Sunday at Augusta.

Rory is still 32. Many kicks at the can remain.
                  Ye ppl love talking about that 80 he put up after the big lead coming into Sunday but Schwartzel had a legendary 4 birdie run to finish his round of 66 and was always gonna pressure him. I do hope Rory can tame his putter and maybe start driving the ball like he used to but, like everyone else, I'd have to say Spieth completes his before Rory.

Comment

I like that Spieth is on the way back, so he has a good chance. My heart stills pulls for Rory, and while is remains a great player, something seems to be missing from him, that something extra that propelled him to win the majors at such a young age.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                      something seems to be missing from him.
                      He's married now and also a dad. Some people take these things more seriously than others. Sometimes the other things in life put golf in the back seat for a while. Then once the youngsters get old enough, suddenly things flip back and the guy is "comeback player of the year".

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
                        Rahm, Morikawa.
                        They both have a great chance.

Comment

Originally posted by emvee View Post

He's married now and also a dad. Some people take these things more seriously than others. Sometimes the other things in life put golf in the back seat for a while. Then once the youngsters get old enough, suddenly things flip back and the guy is "comeback player of the year".
                          Good points. I hope he does just that.

Comment

I think Morikawa beats them all to it. Guy has ice in his veins when it comes to the big events and has the ball striking to compete at any course. He doesn't need to wait for specifics conditions that suite his game. Hard to see Brooks or DJ winning the Open. Rory and Spieth should both complete it but it'll take them a few more years.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X