Sentry T of C

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuonthe1t
    replied
    Cam is not a short hitter - last year he averaged 301 - over the break he gained 4 to 5 miles per hr of swing speed taking him from 114 to 119 SS - he out drove Rham on numerous holes yesterday also not because of SS but because of ball flight and shape of shot

Leave a comment:

• northernpro
    replied
    Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
    Looks like a pitch and putt this week. -17 thru 2 round from a shortish hitter
    We all know these guys are good..these scores are
    ridiculous....challenge their skills...test them..this is why
    the Open,PGA & US Open are valued by the players

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    They said the course is playing extra long because it is so wet.....some areas have/had not been mowed in 10 days.
    you know it was bad when they had to play Lift clean and cheat

Leave a comment:

• Lefty17
    replied
    5 plays notoriously short most years. Guys usually hit 7-8 irons unless the wind is into

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Using the shotlink numbers that equates to the hole playing 469, 480 and 464. I can tell you from first hand experience that the dogleg is not that severe, bending mostly just short of the green. Ergo they are playing a tee forward of the championship set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kapalua #5.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	3488366
    Not that I want to turn this into a fight, but if you look at this "3D" pic from pgatour leaderboard, it sure looks like they're off the back tees. Rhambo's round 3 is in blue, I did a lousy sketch of a "middle of the fairway" line, and it's not a big stretch to see that being 522 while the more direct line being 464. That's only 12.5% (i.e. 1/8) more distance.

As the crow flies it's (about) 463 yds tee to green. Centre to centre, hastily measured on google maps.

My jagged line is about 532 yds, also hastily done. But it's all close enough.

Anyways, my point wasn't about which tees they were hitting from but that they would falsify the yardage for television.

I don't think they're doing that and it's way too easy to catch them if they do so it just doesn't make sense.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.35.02 PM.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	3488396

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 2.06.19 PM.png
Views:	150
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	3488397Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 2.07.32 PM.png
Views:	145
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	3488398

Leave a comment:

• cuonthe1t
    replied
    plus the course played a lot firmer yesterday as on 2 occasions the announcers said oh that drive rolled out over 100 yards and another over 80 yards- so a 290 yard carry works out to over 400 yard drives and today will be firmer yet - yesterday Rolf said they timed out roll time a few years back and some drives rolled out over 48 seconds
    Last edited by cuonthe1t; Jan 9, 2022, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pingeye2_fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Breakpar View Post
    how can be that GOOD? Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	193
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	3488070
    Shoots 61 and goes from 12 off the lead to 9 off the lead.

Leave a comment:

• rgk5
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I doubt that's the answer.

Rhambo's a big hitter and everyone digs the long ball. Especially chicks, I hear.

So... to give him a long approach with PW, they had to take some yards off of his drive.

Anyways, I took a look at shotlink and they show him hitting 295/174; 317/163; and 307/157 for the first 3 rounds. They show the hole playing 515, 524, and 522.

Hole 5 is quite a significant dogleg and I believe holes are measured down the centre of the fairway. So if his drive on round 1 was 295 he did not have 515-295=220 in to the hole, it would be a fair amount less as he cut the corner.

I got my numbers from pgatour.com leaderboard and they don't exactly match yours, but the concept still applies, I think.
    Using the shotlink numbers that equates to the hole playing 469, 480 and 464. I can tell you from first hand experience that the dogleg is not that severe, bending mostly just short of the green. Ergo they are playing a tee forward of the championship set.

Name:	kapalua #5.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	3488366

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied

I played the course in August of 2012 and believe me they are NOT playing every tee from the back. From the second back tees my meager game produced a score of 82 with bogies on two par fives. The par five 5th is a good example as from the back tee it is supposedly 522 yards. Yesterday Rahm hit a PW on the green after a drive of 294 yards. So, he hit his PW 228 yards? BS. Inflated numbers for television.
    I doubt that's the answer.

Rhambo's a big hitter and everyone digs the long ball. Especially chicks, I hear.

So... to give him a long approach with PW, they had to take some yards off of his drive.

Anyways, I took a look at shotlink and they show him hitting 295/174; 317/163; and 307/157 for the first 3 rounds. They show the hole playing 515, 524, and 522.

Hole 5 is quite a significant dogleg and I believe holes are measured down the centre of the fairway. So if his drive on round 1 was 295 he did not have 515-295=220 in to the hole, it would be a fair amount less as he cut the corner.

I got my numbers from pgatour.com leaderboard and they don't exactly match yours, but the concept still applies, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Lefty17
    replied

I played the course in August of 2012 and believe me they are NOT playing every tee from the back. From the second back tees my meager game produced a score of 82 with bogies on two par fives. The par five 5th is a good example as from the back tee it is supposedly 522 yards. Yesterday Rahm hit a PW on the green after a drive of 294 yards. So, he hit his PW 228 yards? BS. Inflated numbers for television.
    I know they play different tees everyday but it’s still a pitch and putt regardless of what tees they’re playing from.

Leave a comment:

• rgk5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ginrin
    replied
    These guys are the best in the world and the leaders are just flat out rolling the rock. Without much wind and soft conditions, these guys will decimate most courses.Btw the more I play golf, the more I believe that PUTTING is the number 1 stat and the majority of tournaments are won by the best putter that week.

Leave a comment:

• Lefty17
    replied
    Originally posted by rulie View Post

A "shortish" hitter who is regularly as long as Rahm?
    Well he was shortish last year. He’s also playing a draw which will go further when hitting the downslopes because the ball is going with the slope where as Rahms fade is hitting into the slopes and not getting as much run out.

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied
    A "shortish" hitter who is regularly as long as Rahm?

Leave a comment:

• Lefty17
    replied
    Smith will have more birdies/eagles then pars thru 54 holes

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...