/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

PGA Champions Back in Canada: Shaw Charity Classic weekend in Cowtown!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGA Champions Back in Canada: Shaw Charity Classic weekend in Cowtown!

Unfortunately, we have guests joining us at the cabin this weekend or I’d be there myself. Most of the big names have committed, a buddies poker bud played in the Pro-Am today with Big John Daly.

I haven’t played the course in a week and, half, but at that time, the greens were perfect (as usual) and the rough was getting thick.

Should have 2hours of coverage each of Friday/Sat and Sunday.

I know people like to knock Alberta, and in particular Calgarians, but this tournament has raised over 75MM in 10 years for Alberta Children's charities. The Patron group (the group of locals who oversee the tournament and personally guaranty the prize pool) have built an unbelievable formula that funnels an incredible amount of money to charities. I think it is the highest charity generating tournament on ANY of the professional golf tours. This year, I would not be surprised to see that total get through $90MM.

Support our advertisers to keep this thing going. Give it a watch on the Golf Channel!
    Callaway Maverick, Evenflow 65gm Reg, 45", 17 gm weight
    Callaway Rogue 13*, Evenflow 75 gm reg flex
    Callaway Rogue 15*, Evenflow 75 gm, reg flex
    Callaway Rogue 21* Hybrid, Aldila Rogue Black 85 gm
    TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
    Ping Stealth 54/14 and 58/14 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”

Good to see Paddy in lead after Round 1

https://www.espn.com/golf/leaderboar...champions-tour
    WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS -> 12 Clubs
    Titleist TSi2 10* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
    Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
    Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
    Cleveland RTX4 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
    Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post
      Unfortunately, we have guests joining us at the cabin this weekend or I’d be there myself. Most of the big names have committed, a buddies poker bud played in the Pro-Am today with Big John Daly.

I haven’t played the course in a week and, half, but at that time, the greens were perfect (as usual) and the rough was getting thick.

I know people like to knock Alberta, and in particular Calgarians, but this tournament has raised over 75MM in 10 years for Alberta Children's charities. The Patron group (the group of locals who oversee the tournament and personally guaranty the prize pool) have built an unbelievable formula that funnels an incredible amount of money to charities. I think it is the highest charity generating tournament on ANY of the professional golf tours. This year, I would not be surprised to see that total get through $90MM.

Support our advertisers to keep this thing going. Give it a watch on the Golf Channel!
      A lot of incredible charity work being done with the Shaw! we have our MG team on site this week as well. Hoping Freddy Couples gets going today!

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

It's a shame you can't attend on your home course, but have fun at the cabin.
        Thanks for letting us know about the charity element...that's great.

I know when the LPGA plays in Vanc, Edm & Calgary...they are able to raise millions for their respective Sick Kids Hospital.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

Mike Weir was agitated on the #1 green today; it turned out that he had more than 14 clubs in his bag, and had suffered a two stroke penalty, but I don't know any more details than that.
          Mike went left on number 8, then chipped out left when it appeared that he should have gone out right. He made a great wedge shot but then 3 putted from what appeared to be about 3 feet.
          Several guys could have won the tournament if they could've sunk a putt on 18. The greens were speedy.
          Quite a few players use a power cart but apparently caddies can't share the cart; I wonder why.
          Some of the big names weren't there, eg Els, Alker, Goosen, Langer; possibly that's why there were some unfamiliar players out there. I don't think I'd heard of (Cdn) Alan McLean, and Mario Tiziani before, but they both hit it like they belong.
          Canyon Meadows is mostly flat, with little water, so the length and aforementioned fast greens are the main defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
            Mike Weir was agitated on the #1 green today; it turned out that he had more than 14 clubs in his bag, and had suffered a two stroke penalty, but I don't know any more details than that.
            Mike went left on number 8, then chipped out left when it appeared that he should have gone out right. He made a great wedge shot but then 3 putted from what appeared to be about 3 feet.
            Several guys could have won the tournament if they could've sunk a putt on 18. The greens were speedy.
            Quite a few players use a power cart but apparently caddies can't share the cart; I wonder why.
            Some of the big names weren't there, eg Els, Alker, Goosen, Langer; possibly that's why there were some unfamiliar players out there. I don't think I'd heard of (Cdn) Alan McLean, and Mario Tiziani before, but they both hit it like they belong.
            Canyon Meadows is mostly flat, with little water, so the length and aforementioned fast greens are the main defenses.
            I hadn't heard about Mike's trials....that sux. Most of the big names that could be there, were there. Everything I hear is the pro's love this tournament. Those who weren't there likely weren't vaccinated for Covid. Langer is definitely in that camp.

Agree the course is flattish. The greens are fast, but that is because the breaks are very subtle. I cannot count how many times I heard the TV commentators say "there's not much in this", and a lot of those 5-10 footers were missed, by a small margin. The A4 bent grass has very little grain, so uphill/downhill speed is more a function of slope than into or with the grain.

And yeah, no one really grabbed it at the end. My recording ran out at the end of regulation play, so I missed the extra play. I recorded the midnight replay, so hopefully in that.

Did you attend in person or watch on TV?

Comment

This is pretty funny:
              https://calgarysun.com/sports/golf/c...n-dalys-caddie

Comment

That is funny; I hadn't realized that the pro was caddying. It seems to me that they might as well let the caddie of those riding, ride too, if he wants to.

I did attend in person.

Our course has A4 too; it's supposed to help keep the poa annua away.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                  That is funny; I hadn't realized that the pro was caddying. It seems to me that they might as well let the caddie of those riding, ride too, if he wants to.

I did attend in person.

Our course has A4 too; it's supposed to help keep the poa annua away.
                  Which course? Played the forest last Thursday. Poa breaking in bad. Our super is a poa killer. The Forest guys have blown it.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard