Collapse

Should Michelle Wie turn pro?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Michelle Wie turn pro?

Michelle Wie recently accepted a sponsors exemption to play in the Sony Open. Its the first or two tournaments that she will play with men this year. She's definately one of the big star prodigies in the coming years. Do you think she should turn professional now or wait longer?
    No, wait longer to develop her skills
    85.71%
    Yes, she's good enough to win on the LPGA.
    14.29%
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Should Michelle Wie turn pro?

Originally posted by Focker Singh
    Michelle Wie recently accepted a sponsors exemption to play in the Sony Open. Its the first or two tournaments that she will play with men this year. She's definately one of the big star prodigies in the coming years. Do you think she should turn professional now or wait longer?
    Michelle needs to be able to win in her amateur matches first. Until she does that she shouldn't be playing in the LPGA or PGA.
    Look at the young lad the played the Canadian Open. He earned his way there. That had to be a great experience for him. If he never does another thing in golf he can say he earned his way into the Canadian Open.
    Mule
    In The Ogio
    Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
    Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
    Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
    Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Focker Singh
      It is my understanding that to play as a regular on the LPGA Tour, a female golfer has to be in her 18th year. Aree Song played the Tour this year, for example, and turned 18 during it.

Obviously, some amateurs are allowed to play in about 6 other events at a younger age than 18, but full time membership is not possible until later.

Michelle is an excellent player and would make a good living on Tour right now, however, what very often makes great players later, is simple learning how to win, at any level. Getting into contention in major junior events, USGA amateur events and the occasional Tour event, hones the player's mental game, which we all now is as important as learning how to swing well. Very often, learning how to get into contention and losing, can be as helpful as winning. You may be too young to remember, but Tom Watson and Payne Stewart were two of the greatest choke artists ever, but they used the disappointments as steps in the process of becoming great players.

Tiger Woods is another example of a player who won at every level, before becoming a professional. This had to help him tremendously. Michelle and her father need to sit down and have a little chat with Earl Woods.

Comment

I say do it, take the money and run, she should secure her future with endorsements deals NOW, she could hurt herself tomorrow and that's it. Sounds greedy, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule56
          Michelle needs to be able to win in her amateur matches first. Until she does that she shouldn't be playing in the LPGA or PGA.
          Look at the young lad the played the Canadian Open. He earned his way there. That had to be a great experience for him. If he never does another thing in golf he can say he earned his way into the Canadian Open.
          Mule
          I forget his last name but his first was Darren, and he won the Canadian Amateur Championship at Beaconsfield G&CC this year as a 15 year old. This gave him a spot in the Canadian Open where he scored poorly and missed the cut, but what an experience it must have been!

Comment

This is just my opinion of course but I feel that she should be a kid for awhile, and enjoy things other than golf. I believe that if she were to turn pro now or not continue with her education it would be something that Michelle herself would regret later on. She should maybe talk to Ty Tryon.
            Money is probably not an issue for her family. They live in Hawaii and belong to a private club, and, her father caddies for her (or at least travels with her) so I'm sure he is a success in his business.
            Everybody wants to get older, until they get there, and then wish they were young again.

Comment

Originally posted by EDSGolf
              I say do it, take the money and run, she should secure her future with endorsements deals NOW, she could hurt herself tomorrow and that's it. Sounds greedy, but hey, that's just my opinion.
              sounds good if she needs the money...

from chiantibro's post, she don't need the money so i think she should stay amateur, and enjoy teenage life! i miss those days

Comment

I agree that Michelle should stay at amateur status and learn how to win at all levels before entering the professional ranks. I think she lacks the experience to play professionally as well. She shouldn't rush it anyways, she's almost guaranteed to be a multi millionaire, not including endorsements. Only thing that can stop her is injury but with endorsement money, she'll still be rich!
                "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
                Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
                Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't think there is any need to rush into the Pro status. Plenty of time to make money later on when she turns 18.
                  You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
                  Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
                  Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
                  Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

I voted 'No' but not for the reason of developing her skills. I think she already has enough qualities to do well in the LPGA tour.....but we have to remember that she's only 15...while golf is probably the #1 thing on her list right now.....she probably has 2-3 more years left to enjoy life at 15 .......I also think that getting an education is very important at this stage in her life....
                    Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Originally posted by Ego Woods
                      I voted 'No' but not for the reason of developing her skills. I think she already has enough qualities to do well in the LPGA tour.....but we have to remember that she's only 15...while golf is probably the #1 thing on her list right now.....she probably has 2-3 more years left to enjoy life at 15 .......I also think that getting an education is very important at this stage in her life....
                      not to mention developing more new shots that will just add to her arsenal of weapons to use on the course. once she hones all her shots and gets the mental game, she should be a force to be reckoned with.
                      Jaydog

Comment

I voted yes but after reading everyone's posts, I say no as well.

Definitely developing her mental game is important if she wants to do this for her career.

Also, she is 15, there's still a lot about the world she can learn about before deciding on a career... even though some people just know at an early age.

I don't think she has to go through the standard years of High school and college to get an education. but meeting diverse people in school is really important in developing a person. If she can get the same kind of exposure by playing golf, then that kind of education shouldn't hold her back. academically, she can get a private tutor

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X