Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RBC PGA Scramble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBC PGA Scramble

this popped up in my fb feed and looks interesting. https://rbcpgascramble.com/local-events/

Anyone played in it? Or interested to give it a go?
    M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 60
    Ping G400 14.5* Accra CS1 70
    TM Jetspeed 5 wood Accra CS1 80
    TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
    Cally X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
    Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
    100 holes - May 2, 2016

looks like a fun event. never heard of it before

Comment

Played last year. My group and I won the Royal Ashburn qualifier and moved on to a Regional at Kingís Valley. Unfortunately, we didnít fair too well there, but had a ton of fun! We plan to do it again this year. Lots of great courses: Scarboro, Lookout Point, Black Bear Ridge. Hope to move on to the Regional again and play Coppinwood.
      What's in the Bag (06/07/17):

Titleist 915 D2 10.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI6
      Titleist 915F 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI7
      Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80
      Titleist 714 AP1 4-GW w/ Projext X LZ 5.5
      Titleist Vokey 54.10 S Grind w/ Projext X LZ 5.5
      Titleist Vokey 60.08 M Grind w/ Projext X LZ 5.5
      Titleist Scotty Cameron 2015 Golo 5 34" LH

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
        this popped up in my fb feed and looks interesting. https://rbcpgascramble.com/local-events/

Have you determined your exact handicap? Do you have to provide the sponsors with that evidence, or is it based on trust?

Comment

I think my handicap is around 5. Track it unofficially on sandbagger.ca You need an rcga factor to enter, and I have all my scores to put in their system (and a history on rcga) if I decide to sign up.
          M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 60
          Ping G400 14.5* Accra CS1 70
          TM Jetspeed 5 wood Accra CS1 80
          TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
          Cally X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ryandrews83 View Post
            Played last year. My group and I won the Royal Ashburn qualifier and moved on to a Regional at Kingís Valley. Unfortunately, we didnít fair too well there, but had a ton of fun! We plan to do it again this year. Lots of great courses: Scarboro, Lookout Point, Black Bear Ridge. Hope to move on to the Regional again and play Coppinwood.
            My team came in 3rd at the RA qualifier last year. Are you playing at RA again this year? I was surprised by how much earlier it was this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mookie View Post

My team came in 3rd at the RA qualifier last year. Are you playing at RA again this year? I was surprised by how much earlier it was this year.
              Yeah, we were surprised too. We plan to play RA again, but my three playing partners are going to be in Calgary for a hockey tournament the weekend before...I donít anticipate theyíll be in any shape to play on the Monday. Good news on early date though, if we donít qualify, we can try our luck at another course later in the season. Anyways, best of luck. Should be fun!

Comment

Is if a fair tournament though? Is someone else keeping your score or do you have to be "honest"? I've played in so many tournaments like this and I get pissed because I can hear and see the other teams have too many gimme putts and mulligans.

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
                  Is if a fair tournament though? Is someone else keeping your score or do you have to be "honest"? I've played in so many tournaments like this and I get pissed because I can hear and see the other teams have too many gimme putts and mulligans.
                  I think it depends on where you're playing. Each event is set-up a bit different. I know the Royal Ashburn event we played in groups of 8, so you had another group to keep you honest. It looks like not all of the venues do this.

Comment

Played last year and moved onto 2nd round at Lookout Point. The idea of the event is fantastic, but with no way to monitor actually legitimacy of handicaps for majority of players, the system is flawed. My best friend went to finals @ Cabot Cliffs as accompanying Professional. He said the quality of golf was outstanding from numerous high handicaps. He encountered 18 HDCP players hitting 7irons over 195 inside 10 ft a handful of times. The qualifiers at private clubs I believe have a better way to root out the sandbaggers to an extent, but from there, no way to stop at following rounds.
                    Essex Golf & CC
                    Ping G400 LST AD-DI 6S
                    Titleist 915F 16.5 AD-DI 7S
                    Titleist 915F 21 AD-DI 7S
                    Nike VrProII 4-Pw KBStour S
                    Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58M KBStour S
                    Titleist Newport 2 Custom Shop
                    ProV1X

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post

I'd be interested if you're looking for a team member. My index is about a 12.3 at the moment. PM sent!

Comment

We played last year with a combined handicap around 38, had a good tournament and thought we did well ....until the other teams came in and scores were posted.
                        Like my father used to say 'you can't judge a book by it's cover'., but my lord!!
                        I would have preferred to play in groups of 8 to keep other teams score.
                        Believe that's the best way to play this tournament.
                        Callaway Razr X10.5*
                        Callaway Diablo 5 wood
                        Adams Super 9031 18*
                        Titleist AP2 4-PW
                        Cleveland 588 RTX GW 52*
                        Cleveland 588 RTX LW 58*
                        Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

Originally posted by ryandrews83 View Post
                          What was your winning score (if you dont mind me asking) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mookie View Post

I think it depends on where you're playing. Each event is set-up a bit different. I know the Royal Ashburn event we played in groups of 8, so you had another group to keep you honest. It looks like not all of the venues do this.
                            groups of 8 work well when there is a "significant " prize for winning. Some other alternatives that I have seen in tournaments I have played and which are effective:

1. split the team of 4 into 2 teams of two and each of those teams plays with another two-some from another team.....the format becomes a best ball and team scores are computed live by using an app or following completion of the round.

2. do not use handicaps at all but eliminate pros/assistant pros.

3. have the teams of 4 made up of handicaps that must include one from 0-6, 7-12, 13-18, 19-24 or place a maximum total handicap for the team of say 30....... then play straight up. I have seen tourneys that combine both these ideas.
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Richd View Post

What was your winning score (if you dont mind me asking) ?
                              I don't mind, but I honestly can't remember. I want to say we were -14 gross, but i'm not 100%. They used a method to calculate net score and that was the one that counted. Everyone had to have a Golf Canada handicap, no more than two single digits in a group and a minimum handicap total of 32 for the group. I think we played off of a 36 index (2, 4, 13, 17). Had to play everyone's drive 3 times. As someone previously mentioned, we played in 8-somes at Royal Ashburn and kept the other teams score. Seemed pretty legit.

At the Regional Final our group was joined by a pro from Royal Ashburn and we played as a five-some. Same rules applied - 3 drives, handicaps, etc. Guess the pro was there to keep the teams honest, so no need to go out as groups of ten.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 158,452   Posts: 1,666,541   Members: 44,947   Active Members: 351
                              Welcome to our newest member, Pure26.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X