Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

TGN - Braeben "Golfing Group" - Any Interest ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGN - Braeben "Golfing Group" - Any Interest ?

Hey ALL Hope everyone is well and looking forward and getting ready for the Holidays !!!

OK, I know, I know, the 2021 Season is still far away, LOL but just thought of throwing the question out if there is any interest in "connecting" some TGNers in the West GTA and Mississauga areas to keep in touch and maybe arrange some games next Season, especially on a short notice when some good "Hot Deals" "POP-UP" on Golfnow. "Hot Deals" did not offer many cheap rates this past Season, and "single booking" was almost impossible to find, but 2-4 was always offered, but Hot Deals sold ever so quickly. Well, they were "Hot" in the real sense of the word, this past Summer, ha ha.

Courses of interest, at least as I am concerned (my failing eye sight is preventing me from driving, so busing only for this old guy) are:

1) Braeben, both the 9 hole Academy and 18 hole Championship - These two are my "Home Courses" and easiest to reach for me (2 buses and <hour each way) and reasonably priced, especially latter in the afternoon.

My average Braeben Championship Course rate was about $30 (WALKING !!!) this past Season and was able to finish anywhere from 9 up to 12-15 holes and even 18 few times. Academy 9 holes was $15 Senior rate, Walking, taxes in, 7 days a week, but it was soooo busy, it was almost not worth it, LOL.

The following courses I can get to as well, but >>1 hr on 2 buses + 20 mins walking each way

2) Lakeview - easy to reach BUT more pricey and realy busy
    3) Royal Woodbine - even more pricey
    4) Derrydale - reasonable for 12 holes
    5) Peel Village - reasonable for 9 holes
    6) Centennial Park - 9 and 18. Haven't played it in years, but was buying Summer Passes many years back.

7) And, if i felt really "energized" on a given day, which is far and in between at my old age, would love to play
    Lionhead one more time before I crock out. Couple of buses + Uber for the "last few miles" will get me there, as well as to many courses on and around Trafalgar Rd in East Oakville

8) Turnberry and no not the one in Scotland, LOL.

Anyone interested, maybe reply to this thread and we can connect next Season and "see what happens"

Booking and paying at the Club House would be preferred and much easier to manage and cancel if need be, but possibility to utilize some Hot Deals, while a bit tricky. could be an option as well. Note that Hot Deals are PREPAID and NOT CANCELLABLE/REFUNDABLE !!!
    Last edited by veryold; Dec 15, 2020, 06:47 PM.

Originally posted by veryold View Post
    Hey ALL Hope everyone is well and looking forward and getting ready for the Holidays !!!

OK, I know, I know, the 2021 Season is still far away, LOL but just thought to ask if there is any interest in "connecting" some TGNers in the West GTA and Mississauga areas to keep in touch and maybe arrange some games next Season, especially on a short notice when some good "Hot Deals" "POP-UP" on Golfnow next Summer. "Hot Deals" did not offer many cheap rates this Season, and "single booking" was almost impossible to find, but 2-4 was always offered, but the Hot Deals sold ever so quickly.

Courses of interest, at least as I am concerned (I'm too old to drive so busing only) are:

1) Braeben, both the 9 hole Academy and 18 hole Championship - These two are my "Home Courses" and easiest to reach for me (2 buses and <hour each way) and reasonably priced, especially latter in the afternoon.

My average Braeben Championship Course rate was about $30 (WALKING !!!) this past Season and was able to finish anywhere from 9 up to 12-15 holes and even 18 few times. Academy 9 holes was $15 Senior rate, Walking, taxes in, 7 days a week, but it was soooo busy, it was almost not worth it, LOL.

The following courses I can get to as well, but >>1 hr on 2 buses + 20 mins walking each way

2) Lakeview - more pricey
    3) Royal Woodbine - even more pricey
    4) Derrydale - reasonable for 12 holes
    5) Peel Village - reasonable for 9 holes
    6) Centennial Park - 9 and 18. Haven't played it in years, but was buying Summer Passes many years back.

Anyone interested, maybe reply to this thread and we can connect next Season and "see what happens"

Booking and paying at the Club House would be preferred and much easier to manage and cancel if need be, but possibility to utilize some Hot Deals, while a bit tricky. could be an option as well. Note that Hot Deals are PREPAID and NOT CANCELLABLE/REFUNDABLE
    I have never played Braeben so should one day, same with Peel Village and Royal Woodbine. Not that interested in Derrydale but perhaps once will be enough.

I know Lakeview very well, lived across the street from houses that backed onto the third green. Don't need an excuse to return.

Centennial Park is an under-rated gem. I played all 27 holes in 2019, and the greens were equal to the best private clubs. Interesing complexes too, so could be quite tricky depending on pin position. Range is packed with golf nuts in shorts, sneakers and tees and perhaps a few pair of jeans too. Nothing stuffy about that place, reasonably priced food and beer, and a great head pro in Brian McCann.

So count me in and keep me posted.

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

I have never played Braeben so should one day, same with Peel Village and Royal Woodbine. Not that interested in Derrydale but perhaps once will be enough.

I know Lakeview very well, lived across the street from houses that backed onto the third green. Don't need an excuse to return.

Centennial Park is an under-rated gem. I played all 27 holes in 2019, and the greens were equal to the best private clubs. Interesing complexes too, so could be quite tricky depending on pin position. Range is packed with golf nuts in shorts, sneakers and tees and perhaps a few pair of jeans too. Nothing stuffy about that place, reasonably priced food and beer, and a great head pro in Brian McCann.

So count me in and keep me posted.
      Will do and a nice write-up and summary of the courses you provided

Comment

Give a shout out if you have something lined up for Braeben, Centennial or Lakeview, I’ll check my schedule as they are all fairly close by. Humber Valley is another that is decent for a city course but might be a pain getting to via transit.

Comment

I would love to, I do not drive as well. We can take the bus together. I am near Square One too!
          Something to look forward to. Thank you and be well!

Comment

I’m down for that. I’m in Streetsville during the day, so wave to me when you’re walking up the 8th fairway. Can easily sneak out to play Braeben.

Lakeview too.
            Greg

Comment

Count me in...especially for Braeben...easy access for me, even last minute...mid to late afternoon tee times were somewhat easy to book 7 days in advance, Senior/Twilight rates are good value...

Lakeview is another story for tee time access...mid afternoon was tough to get...late afternoon alittle easier

Not sure if you can get out to Turnberry in Brampton ?
              But based on 2020 rates... Senior Special Mon-Thu 1:00-3:30pm tee off for $29.95 plus HST

Not interested in Royal Woodbine (as it is powercart only)

Comment

Always up for a TGN outing and chance to meet new peeps
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Please add me to your list as well... I'm only 10 mins from BraeBen - I live out in Erin Mills....

Comment

I hadn't played Braeben for many years but got in a round last year...fun. So add me to the list...if the price is right.

Comment

Add me too old man

I'd be more than happy to give you a ride both ways, presuming you're still just off Hurontario.

Do you walk Braeben?? Some steep climbs between holes there, yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post
                        Add me too old man
                        I'd be more than happy to give you a ride both ways, presuming you're still just off Hurontario.
                        Do you walk Braeben?? Some steep climbs between holes there, yikes.
                        First to all of you - WOW, what a great response !!! So, it looks like we got ourselves a new "TGN Club at Braeben" coming up in 2021Just hope that Covid doesn't decide to "play games" next April and postpone the openings again.

We'll keep this thread open and consult with all of you come Season opening how to do our communications and if there happens to be some good "Hot Deals" on Golfnow, how to organize the bookings and payments.

@Hugh Jass - Hey, watch it, this "Old Man" is driving 220+ these days and have goals for 240 next Season But joking aside, so kind of you to offer the ride and so much appreciated, but I have become a Wizard of Miway - most drivers know me by name and ask me what did i shoot that day so getting to Braeben is absolutely no prob for me. Maybe if we ever venture somewhere more remote (Trafalgar Courses or Lionhead) maybe a ride is a possibility, but really would hate to inconvenience you for that.
                        As to your question on "walking Braeben" well, it's an individual and fitness question. I'm 76 YO (VO i guess fits me well, LOL) but can EASILY do 9 (walk and carry) and 12 is still fine but 18 becomes a bit taxing if done frequently (3 advils instead of my usual 1, ha ha).

Played with many, many golfers this past Season, and even some younger people just were totally exhausted after 9 and some 60+ people "chugged" along perfectly fine, pushing their big bags with 14 clubs. But yes for sure, it is a hilly course and really not walking friendly at all, especially doing 18.

BTW, for Braeben, itmakes a HUGE DIFFERENCE when walking and carrying, to lighten the bag and carry as few clubs as possible. I do it with 5-6 clubs total and the bag is really light with that configuration. And just few balls to start with, and when I "run out", a quick stroll thru fescue "replenishes" the lost ones in no time

All best to all of you in the New Season and we'll keep in touch
                        Last edited by veryold; Dec 17, 2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

VO put me down as well for this - my work moved out that way. I’m sure I could sneak out a little early the odd afternoon 🙏

Comment

I’d be down as well. Braben is my home course .
                            Winner winner, chicken dinner
                            TM P790s 4-9
                            Vokey Wedges 48,52,55,60
                            Scotty Cameron Newport

Comment

I'm also down for Braeben

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse