Collapse

Underpar deal for City of Toronto Municipal courses

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underpar deal for City of Toronto Municipal courses

If you've never played some of the municipal courses right in the heart of the city, you don't know what you've been missing.

Best course is the one I used to play quite frequently as a single - Don Valley Golf course (18 holes, par 72, 6,163 yards)...hit a ball with the backdrop of the huge concrete structure called Hwy 401. Play the holes down in the valley as it winds around the Don River.

$38.05 per golfer walking (carts are extra but you don't need one as the course is walkable) - only 15 of the 18 hole are open. Free replay (booked after your round) as well.

Tee times can be booked online ....so before you buy, you can check out how hard it is/isn't to get a tee time.

https://www.tee-on.com/

The Fine Print:
    • Valid for any available tee-off time Seven Days a Week, including Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays (You have until the end of the 2019 Golf Season to Play)
    • Single Player - Enjoys 15 holes of golf
    • Includes FREE Same Day 15 Hole Replay ( Replay round can only be booked at the completion of the first round and is subject to availability - Replay rounds cannot be reserved in advance)
    • Walking Rate - Cart can be rented at the course for an additional fee if desired but is not mandatory
    • Cannot be combined with any other offer or special
    • Not valid for league or tournament play
    • Fully transferable
    • Can book your tee-off time up to five days in advance
    • Please note only 15 of the 18 holes at this course will be playable during the 2019 golf season
    • Unlimited buys
    • Makes a great gift

Me and some buddies took advantage of these lately and hit Don Valley.

I do have a few gripes about how things are being handled.

1) No half cart -- We had a 3some group. One guy had to shell out $38 for his cart for 15 holes.

2) Replay was free, we finished rather late, we would not have gotten another 15 holes in, but they wanted to collect $38 x 2 (for 3 players) again for our carts - regardless of the fact we may have only had time for 8-9 holes tops. Come on. How badly does the city need to gouge you on power carts?

3) Pace of play - So slow, but as always this is to be expected on that course. Wouldn't have bothered me, but their lack of management on course with pace left very little chance of much replay that day.

That being said, 2 of the 3 holes have been converted into short par 3s. Helps absorb the closures a bit better.

Had a great day, was just disappointed in the way the Power Cart fees were done. Needless to say, we didn't replay or pay them the cart fee again for whatever few holes we may have played at JB Holmes pace...

Comment

Originally posted by FATZ View Post
      Me and some buddies took advantage of these lately and hit Don Valley.

1) No half cart -- We had a 3some group. One guy had to shell out $38 for his cart for 15 holes.

Had a great day, was just disappointed in the way the Power Cart fees were done. Needless to say, we didn't replay or pay them the cart fee again for whatever few holes we may have played at JB Holmes pace...
      Yup, has been that way at all of the City of Toronto munis for many years, and I've seen several other courses starting to do this

Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Yup, has been that way at all of the City of Toronto munis for many years, and I've seen several other courses starting to do this
        Yes Municipal courses are somewhat slow. I usually walk so didn't even know how the carts work. If you plan on replay you gotta get out early. At least you didn't pay full fare and get treated like that!

Comment

I hated that about carts when I played in DV few years back. I thought it was the staff's mistake but I guess it's a thing. I have never seen that at any other courses.
          In the SM C-130 cart bag:
          Driver:
          TM Aeroburner 9.5* Grafalloy Blackbird Stiff
          Fairway Metals:
          TM R9 15* 3W Stock
          TM R9 19* 5W Stock
          Hybrid:
          TM Aeroburner 4H
          Irons:
          TM R9 5-GW
          Wedge(s):
          CG 588 56|08
          CG 588 60|12
          Putter - Odyssey 2Ball
          Balls - NXT Tour

Comment

Originally posted by ice1124 View Post
            I hated that about carts when I played in DV few years back. I thought it was the staff's mistake but I guess it's a thing. I have never seen that at any other courses.
            Are you talking about the half cart is full price for one player? It's a revenue/business policy and not totally unreasonable as they're losing fee for half of the cart if there's only one rider.

Or are you talking about the replay repay?

Comment

They charge your cc $500 deposit and charge $36 for cart single or double rider. $18 pp is cheap nowadays so no complaints here. If they were to charge single rider rate, many times a walker ends up jumping on cart after 2 holes anyway .
              Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
              Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

Are you talking about the half cart is full price for one player? It's a revenue/business policy and not totally unreasonable as they're losing fee for half of the cart if there's only one rider.

Or are you talking about the replay repay?
                The cart thing. You shouldn't be paying the full price if your playing partners are walking or if you are part of a threesome.
                No other course I've played does this. Some even let twosomes out on separate carts for the same $15-20 cart fee.
                Driver:
                Fairway Metals:
                TM R9 15* 3W Stock
                TM R9 19* 5W Stock
                Hybrid:
                TM Aeroburner 4H
                Irons:
                TM R9 5-GW
                Wedge(s):
                CG 588 56|08
                CG 588 60|12
                Putter - Odyssey 2Ball
                Balls - NXT Tour

Comment

Great deal.

Does this include free use of the practice green? If so, can I bring my kids?

Comment

Originally posted by ice1124 View Post

The cart thing. You shouldn't be paying the full price if your playing partners are walking or if you are part of a threesome.
                    No other course I've played does this. Some even let twosomes out on separate carts for the same $15-20 cart fee.
                    Problem with that is, that we saw it only too often once out of sight from the starter or who ever one of the others would put their bag on the cart and then start riding for free.

Golf is suppose to be an honerable game yet you see so many trying to cheat the system one way or another. Riding for free, bringing alcohol onto the course, sneaking on the course, not paying for the putting green, etc, etc.
                    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Problem with that is, that we saw it only too often once out of sight from the starter or who ever one of the others would put their bag on the cart and then start riding for free.

Golf is suppose to be an honerable game yet you see so many trying to cheat the system one way or another. Riding for free, bringing alcohol onto the course, sneaking on the course, not paying for the putting green, etc, etc.
                      Yes I can see that happen although I have no proof of them cheating like that. I don't know if the person actually paid for the cart but wanted to try walking as much as he could until he couldn't. People using the putting green without paying? Maybe they're a member and don't need to pay to use the practice facilities. My point is that I am not going to assume that everyone is trying to cheat the course/system.
                      I still don't agree with the course charging ~$40 for one person riding alone, but I do see your point.
                      Driver:
                      Fairway Metals:
                      TM R9 15* 3W Stock
                      TM R9 19* 5W Stock
                      Hybrid:
                      TM Aeroburner 4H
                      Irons:
                      TM R9 5-GW
                      Wedge(s):
                      CG 588 56|08
                      CG 588 60|12
                      Putter - Odyssey 2Ball
                      Balls - NXT Tour

Comment

I dont agree with thats the excuse to charge for 2 riders regardless. All other courses I have played stated fee per player, not per cart. But yes I have never ride on a muni so maybe thats always be case.

Courses have marshall out there and their job is not just to drive around aimlessly. They identify groups and whether they are riding or walking and how many should be riding etc. If muni charges full cart anyway, makes marshall job a lot easier haha

Comment

Originally posted by wongmb View Post

I dont agree with thats the excuse to charge for 2 riders regardless. All other courses I have played stated fee per player, not per cart. But yes I have never ride on a muni so maybe thats always be case.

Courses have marshall out there and their job is not just to drive around aimlessly. They identify groups and whether they are riding or walking and how many should be riding etc. If muni charges full cart anyway, makes marshall job a lot easier haha
                          So if you and 3 buddies arrange to rent a car for $100 a day, and then only you show up, you think you should only pay $25, I don't think so.

The cart rental is what it is, you are getting a break when two of you share the cost. That cost to run the cart is the same whether two people or one person rides in it, maybe 10 cc less gas with 1 rider.
                          So if you get it at half price you are getting a very good deal.
                          Last edited by 4underthru9; Aug 12, 2019, 11:36 AM.
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

So if you and 3 buddies arrange to rent a car for $100 a day, and then only you show up, you think you should only pay $25, I don't think so.

The cart rental is what it is, you are getting a break when two of you share the cost. That cost to run the cart is the same whether two people or one person rides in it, maybe 10 cc less gas with 1 rider.
                            So if you get it at half price you are getting a very good deal.
                            Per your logic, total legit to advertise as "buy 1 get 1 free", two riders 50% off each, ......

Comment

Want to play golf pay your way, otherwise Tennis is usually totally free on municipal courts, you do have to bring your own racket and balls though.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X