Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wyndance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyndance

Had the opportunity to golf Wyndance yesterday June 24. I was able to snag a 4 pack off of Kijiji. We were all super pumped to play the course because of what we have seen from the road and heard about the course. I will start with the check in. The guy in proshop was great. Gave us a few pointers and offered us the academy course first because it was dead because of the on and off rain. We decided to not play academy course and just focus on the practice facility. The practice facility is massive. One note though. With the size of it. I would of liked to see more greens to hit. Greens were spaced out from left to right. Would like to see 3 sets for each part of the range. Putting green was awesome. Same speed as the course. Chipping was good. I would say it was firmer than the course. As for the bunker practice. It is a representation of some of the bunkers on the course but it would be nice for a practice facility for you to see the bunker shot onto the green to see how well your striking it. As for the course. For this being a platinum clublink course. I would of expected all the small details to be dealt with. By this I mean. The waste bunkers had stones in them. I understand it's a waste bunker but I have played on many courses where the waste bunkers are just sand. A lot of the fairways had dead areas. And within the dead areas was alot of clover growing. Not all bunkers had the same sand. Some green side bunkers had beautiful white sand. Some had brown sand. Would expect it consistent from a platinum course. I enjoy the link style with the fescue but it should really be grass and fescue. Not dandelions and other weeds as well. Again these are small details but for clublink platinum I would of not expected them. This seemed to be a common theme in the clubhouse. At the dinner table you heard others talk about it and when we talked to the proshop guy afterwards he said alot of members are not happy. Now for the great parts. With the rain the course received it held up well. It was still scatter off the tees, the tee boxes were for the most part dry, the bunkers only had minimal water in them, and only a few spots on the fairways that were drenched and puddles. The greens were still quick enough with all the rain and the course was a pleasure to play. The views are amazing. The holes are layed out wonderfully. The driving areas are wide and the approach shots are tough. I would definitely play the course again. Maybe I expected too much for a platinum rated course.

I'll agree with you on the sand, the course has had many complaints regarding the bunkers, they get a ton of wind erosion because they are at a high point(it shouldn't be an excuse). To be fair a waste bunker is a waste bunker, you're in jail. If the course had trees you would be deep in the woods. You need to deal with the rock accordingly.
    If you are going to critique Wyndance's practice facility then you need to spend a lot more money wherever you choose to play next. There are not too many courses better, I love practicing there unless there is a north wind.

Haven't played Wyndance this year but I have never seen clover before on the fairways, I hope it's just temporary.

Comment

Wyndance is undergoing a massive bunker restoration and redesign, with some being eliminated and most being changed. if im not mistaken its a 2 year process that just began this year. The inconsistency in sand would most likely be a result of a few bynkers having been started and most not yet. As for the waste bunkers, there have always been rocks and pebbles and while they do rake and collect them , rain and wind erosion continually brings more to the surface, hence the local rule to lift , remove stones and replace in the waste bunkers there. Also, a new super came in at the beginning of last season and he wasnt happy with some things, including the greens so he apparently has been working on them to improve them and make them better. Last year's very wet early season resulted in poor green growth recovery from the changes. Add to all this that the course had major pumping problems for May and June of this year so got very little water. All this adds up to a course in a transitional phase under a new super. The members were made aware of all this in their newsletter.

The pumping problems were unexpected other areas of the course are suffering from a conditioning or attention pov, its due to resources being focussed in the multimillion dollar bunker project. These issues have made some members unhappy for sure, particularly not hiring enough staff to keep conditioning where it should be while the bunker project is being done. Rumor is only one additional maintenance staffer was brought on, a directive by CL to keep staffing costs down.

Im not a member but play there often and I concur conditions are the poorest ive ever seen. Also hoping its temporary as I love the course. The bunker project was overdue, hopefully they get things back to where they belong soon.

im playing there a couple times next month so will report back.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Would have to agree with almost everything Weirfan said, that is my wife's home club so she got the news letter WF spoke to and it did not sound really good. It seems like it was one problem after another, don't forget the 3 storms we had either..

I try to get out once a week and yes it is in bad shape condition wise when you speak of fairways and bunkers, but I will give them a pass on the bunkers since it is a project started last season. The greens have come around since May/early June but still not typical Wyndance greens.

I know the letter she got said new grass and lack of water but some of the conditions I am seeing is reminding me of what happened at Sleepy when they lost the entire course a few years ago.

My wife has come home a few times this season saying most of the bistro talk was the poor course conditions (including the lack of up keep re; divots, ball marks) . The ladies have times booked off as groups Tuesday, Thursday,Saturday , and Sunday, in the past few weeks they have moved the 2 weekend games to Cherry were some of the long time members came from.
        Last edited by chrish8; Jun 26, 2018, 09:44 AM.
        In the Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
        Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot
        Hybrid:Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* and X2 Hot 22*
        Irons: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged
        Wedges: Mizuno S5 49*/54*/57* bent to 59*
        Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
        Ball: Mostly whatever I find after losing mine in the woods. Otherwise B330 or Z-Star XV
        --------
        Home Course - DiamondBack

Comment

Have played there twice this year and I echo all comments.
          I'll be playing there today and will provide update.
          Driver - Cobra F7
          Fwy Metals - TM M2 3+5
          Hybrids - TM SLDR 4+5
          Irons - TM M4 6-AW
          Wedges - King Cobra 54+58
          Putter - Scotty GoLo5r

PAEUNGOO NAEMSAE

Comment

I have a friend that's a member there, all the members are really pissed off about the conditions. They are complaining about the conditions and saying they are paying for Prestige course. The super is on the hot seat.

Comment

Perhaps the most often common critique of Platinum and Prestige courses is the bunkers. While CL chose many years ago to upgrade bunkers in lower level tracks, they seem to have turned a blind eye to the many complaints of the higher level course members. Sand is almost always inconsistent and many traps have, at best, a shallow film of sand that does not allow for opening the bounce and hitting soft flops out - you end up hitting the liner first.
              My course has many pot style bunkers that require raking down from the side walls to the bottom to ensure sufficient sand to exit. And, IMO, and the opinion of many of our members, our bunkers are not what they should be. Based on many discussions with CL people, I am confident that large expenditures on bunkers is not in CL's future budgets.
              No good deed goes unpunished.
              A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

I am sorry to hear this about Wyndance. Those that play there regularly please come back and keep this updated. I really want to get out there this year but I don't want to make the 1+ hour drive if things are not reasonable (don't need perfect).

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                  I am sorry to hear this about Wyndance. Those that play there regularly please come back and keep this updated. I really want to get out there this year but I don't want to make the 1+ hour drive if things are not reasonable (don't need perfect).
                  Do not get me wrong. It is a beautiful venue. The views from the tee blocks and the approach shots are stellar. I would golf it again in a heart beat for the right price. I just had higher expectations of what a platinum clublink course should be.

Comment

I played Wyndance 10 days ago and really don't understand the complaints. Fairways were firm, greens were quick... I think there is too much demand for perfection. Just because there are a few bare spots in the fairways and rocks in the waste bunkers does not mean a golf course is in bad shape.
                    http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Played today and conditions have significantly improved since I last played a couple of weeks ago. Greens were running fast but still on the bare side.
                      Bunker restoration is ongoing with work being done on the large fairway bunker on the right side of Hole 7.
                      Fairways were patchy but really had no impact on play.
                      Have I seen the course in better shape? Yes. It is however very playable and one of my favourite tracks.
                      Driver - Cobra F7
                      Fwy Metals - TM M2 3+5
                      Hybrids - TM SLDR 4+5
                      Irons - TM M4 6-AW
                      Wedges - King Cobra 54+58
                      Putter - Scotty GoLo5r

PAEUNGOO NAEMSAE

Comment

Thanks all for the additional context. I wont make it out that way for another couple weeks so things should be even better. Agree its a great track.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHumbleGolfer View Post
                          I played Wyndance 10 days ago and really don't understand the complaints. Fairways were firm, greens were quick... I think there is too much demand for perfection. Just because there are a few bare spots in the fairways and rocks in the waste bunkers does not mean a golf course is in bad shape.
                          Agree here. The bunkers were bad, but the greens were fine and I actually thought some of the patchy fairways and brown grass to be a better fit for the look of the course. Its essentially links on steroids and I dont think this style of golf course demands perfection.
                          Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
                          M1 w/ Diamana Thump
                          GAPR
                          Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
                          Vokey 46 50 54
                          Hi-Toe 58
                          Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

Comment

I'm making the drip down from Ottawa in 2 weeks. Really looking forward to playing it. I can deal with a few patchy spots and hope to avoid the bunkers anyways I hear the layout is excellent.

Comment

As any FYI played in the last couples night and the course has come along great, still some dead/brown spots in fairways but what a difference from May/June/July. My wife played Sunday and yesterdays ladies night and said the course is in in even better shape. Greens rolling like glass.
                              In the Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
                              Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot
                              Hybrid:Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* and X2 Hot 22*
                              Irons: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged
                              Wedges: Mizuno S5 49*/54*/57* bent to 59*
                              Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                              Ball: Mostly whatever I find after losing mine in the woods. Otherwise B330 or Z-Star XV
                              --------
                              Home Course - DiamondBack

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,092   Posts: 1,778,288   Members: 46,484   Active Members: 274
                              Welcome to our newest member, rco1vi11e.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X