Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glencairn Membership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glencairn Membership

Hey Everyone,

I'm still a little bit away, but trying to solve the public vs private question for myself. Have thought about Devil's P+P, and love Osprey to play public, but realize any golf option I decide on, being able to regularly play with my good friends is high on the list and we're split between Guelph/Toronto/Hamilton.

I have been a clublink member as a university student and remember loving Glencairn, probably most for the atmosphere in addition to the 27 holes.
    My fear about going to Clublink as an adult is paying dues = with most private courses, and not getting the benefit of crowd control/good tee access, as I would likely make less use of the ability to play everywhere.

My goal in life is to get out once a week as children get older. I realize a membership won't be an economic decision for me.

For members of Glencairn, if there are some out here, any idea on how well some of the prime tee (early weekend) times are protected, is access to the tee difficult? I can remember the race to phoning in way back when for the desirable courses, however I was a Greenhills member and had no problem getting on because of Greenhills isolation and small membership.

Is there any community to the club with leagues, tournaments etc, or is that minimal through the Clublink model?

Thanks for any input.

Dundas Valley!
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
      Dundas Valley!
      Second f convenient as price is right and a very nice course. CL is a take it or leave it concept imo

Comment

Originally posted by supafield View Post
        Hey Everyone,

For members of Glencairn, if there are some out here, any idea on how well some of the prime tee (early weekend) times are protected, is access to the tee difficult? I can remember the race to phoning in way back when for the desirable courses, however I was a Greenhills member and had no problem getting on because of Greenhills isolation and small membership.

Is there any community to the club with leagues, tournaments etc, or is that minimal through the Clublink model?

Thanks for any input.
        Reach out to Gridiron on the forum he is a member there (and a great guy as well!!!) to give you insight on the internals of the club.

As for the clublink model/membership I think it strongly depends on the club you join.

My opinion is it is more of a membership you pay to have access to tee times at multiple courses vs. a membership at a true private club.

Other than the odd league day I could play in (as it is a Thursday shotgun at 2:30) and being paired up on the few member tournaments I played in it was very hard to meet members (I meet a few who are all great but it is a small %) . I.E Out of my 50-60 rounds last year at Diamondback I would say 80%-90% of my rounds were played with NON-Home club members.

My wife is at Wyndance and she would tell you the complete opposite to my experience where 90%-95% of her games there are with other Wyndance members. In fact the members there book her in automatically every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and she then decides if she can play our not. This is what we both experienced when we were at Sleepy Hollow.

As you mentioned you have kids, the one benefit of CL is that spouses and kids have access to the practice facilities, all academy courses, and twilight rounds at your home club as part of the membership dues you pay.
        In the Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
        Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot
        Hybrid:Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* and X2 Hot 22*
        Irons: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged
        Wedges: Mizuno S5 49*/54*/57* bent to 59*
        Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
        Ball: Mostly whatever I find after losing mine in the woods. Otherwise B330 or Z-Star XV
        --------
        Home Course - DiamondBack

Comment

I will answer strictly in relation to Glencairn/Clublink and not in comparison to all of the other options out there. There are a lot and then are great. All have their own plus/minus. Perhaps trebor will also chime in.

I love being a member at GC. I enjoy the club. I feel it is well run (although not perfect). Men's night (Wednesday @ 2:30) is great and a good way to become familiar with a lot of the members (especially if you start out as a single and get rotated around various groups). Is it the same sense of community as private, no. But it is there. If you do the events you will meet the same people. You will get that feeling. Just not on a "I know everyone at he entire club" basis. The staff will absolutely know who you are.

One of the benefits of the west end and GC is you are also very close to Greystone, Blue Springs and Rattlesnake. Contrary to some of the others on the board, I never have an issue getting a tee time. I use the Clublink app which is WAY easier than the old rush to the phones. I have placed 1 phone call in the last 3 years and I play about 75 times a year. That said, you do have to plan a bit. Can you expect to find your desired Saturday 7am tee time on Thursday morning. No, not likely. You should have looked for that a week out. But you might find if on Friday afternoon when people cancel. Of maybe you will have to go a 7:30. Or maybe Rattle or Greystone. But I always find a time at a course I am more than happy to play at.

Generally when I play we get around in 4 hours (more or less). 2 Saturdays ago we finished in 3. But I don't play at 2:00 in the afternoon.

I like GC's clubhouse. Love it actually. Sitting on that patio on a summer's eve is awesome. As Chris referenced, I love that I can go out with my wife at 5:00, walk 9 holes then have a nice dinner and it costs me nothing extra. I love that I can do the same thing with my brother/sister-in-laws and there 2 daughters (10 & 8) as he is also a GC member.

Does it have all the perks of private. No. You will not see the same people just about every time you go. Because I play/practice all over I don't leave my clubs at the club. But you could if you played mainly at GC.

Do I wish they would take better care of the bunkers. Yep. How do I feel about overall conditions, perfectly fine. Same at Rattle and Greystone (Rattle's greens are actually fantastic this year. Not sure what they are doing differently).

To sum up my personal experience:
          No issue with tee times if you are willing to play a couple other great courses from time to time (especially if you are a single).
          Good sense of community, belonging and feeling valued.
          Wish guest fee's were more reasonable as I feel they are expensive for friends I bring out. But that does help keep times open for members.
          Dining - good.

Comment

I will echo much of what Gridiron said. Glencairn has always been the unusual CL course - we always felt that we were closest to a private feeling. Men's Night (day) is huge to meet members - we are often over 160 golfers teeing off at 2:30. Staff is really good and most are prepared to go above & beyond.
            Are there issues - yeah! Every course has issues, private or public. Although I play over 75% at my home club, having access to Rattlesnake, Greystone, Blue Springs, Heron (a bit further) and my annual round at Glen Abbey is a bonus. And when we head up north, Grandview, Rocky & Lake Joe's are good tracks to have access to.
            Tee times are rarely an issue, since you are starting at a higher level than what your Greenhills membership provided. The online booking experience is a huge improvement to sitting on hold when calling CL to book a time.
            Course is in great shape!
            No good deed goes unpunished.
            A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Thanks for the comments! Have heard great things about Dundas, but distance would cut it out for most of us.

Thank for the input from members. Sounds like the app has helped things, and it's possible to carve out some familiarity. I also realize, in university, I had an unpredictable schedule with free times popping up at the last minute. Life is much different now, which leads me to believe I could predict my bookings much better and avoid too much disappointment.

Things to think about!

Comment

The only suggestion that I can finish with is for you to play within your budget. Both private and CL memberships come at a cost, in fixed membership cost, annual dues, F&B, and cost of getting to and from the course. If you are not going to play enough golf, then the cost per round would push you to stay with "trunk-golf". Play wherever and whenever.
                No good deed goes unpunished.
                A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Played Bondhead North today and the course is solid. Greens were perfect.
                  A couple bunkers greenside need some sand but other than that, it was a beauty day for 16 holes. 2 holes cost me a real nice round.

Comment

Originally posted by kich View Post
                    Played Bondhead North today and the course is solid. Greens were perfect.
                    A couple bunkers greenside need some sand but other than that, it was a beauty day for 16 holes. 2 holes cost me a real nice round.
                    Very picturesque course but probably one of the worst designs ever is BH North. Always in good conditions tho.
                    Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
                    3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
                    5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
                    3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
                    Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
                    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
                    Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 166,775   Posts: 1,747,370   Members: 46,018   Active Members: 266
                    Welcome to our newest member, CMo22.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                    X