Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Clublink Annual Dues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
    Dunno about food and beverage.

My dues went from about 3500 to 3950 (both of those are tax inc). Like i said though 5% of that is due to getting 1yr older and losing 5% off.

And iirc plantinum dues are around 5200 to 5600? Its prestige that are over 6k.
    I didn't know there was higher than platinum, but thats not what I meant. friends is platinum and went up about $500, to well over 6g's
    Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 27, 2018, 10:30 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I'm curious as to how you guys justify 5-6k on these memberships? Unless you play 50 times a year I don't just see how it makes sense from a math perspective. I played 43 times this season and didn't spend anywhere near 5k in green fees. Mind you, I'm not spending $60 on average per round.

Comment

Originally posted by MK7GTI View Post
        I'm curious as to how you guys justify 5-6k on these memberships? Unless you play 50 times a year I don't just see how it makes sense from a math perspective. I played 43 times this season and didn't spend anywhere near 5k in green fees. Mind you, I'm not spending $60 on average per round.
        I easily play 50+ rounds a year. The fact that courses are well maintained. Some amazing layouts and usually sub 4hr rounds. At worst on a packed weekend its a 4.5hr round vs public golf with 6hr rounds.

This is not even including the social aspect. Tournaments, mens night, etc. I know some clubs are very different then other with that regard. But at national pines most of us know each other.

I used to use the same mentality as you Mk7. Id typically play 40 to 60 rounds a year with an average cost of 50$ rounds. That was shopping around for deals on golfnow underpar, course promos etc. The biggest pain was most deals had restrictions, required you to have a partner etc. I often am a single and will play with whoever. But deals became more scarce or more restricted. Courses were jammed etc.

Clublink was well worth it.
        Last edited by Jasonp; Oct 28, 2018, 07:30 AM.
        Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
        3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
        5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
        3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
        Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
        Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
        Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

I justify it based on the consistent quality of the golf experience compared with the alternative. I am aware of one club in the U.S., that just increased annual dues to $60k per annum! Not sure how to justify that but I think we get “reasonable” prices in Canada given our short season makes it challenging to manage fixed costs.

Comment

Originally posted by jaybudhwani View Post
            Mine went up $1k year over year. Figured it was an error, and will give them a call to clarify on Monday. If that’s the case though I’m likely done. Too bad, because I really enjoyed this past season.
            Jay, did you join last year on the $1000 play the rest of the season free deal? If so then the $1000 is now back on. or #2 you age group could have changed but even with that I don't think it should go up that much
            In the Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
            Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot
            Hybrid:Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* and X2 Hot 22*
            Irons: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged
            Wedges: Mizuno S5 49*/54*/57* bent to 59*
            Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
            Ball: Mostly whatever I find after losing mine in the woods. Otherwise B330 or Z-Star XV
            --------
            Home Course - DiamondBack

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

I was no fan of Wynne whatsoever, but her government had little influence over many ClubLink costs. So, it's disingenuous for anyone to hide behind failed provincial government policies in a discussion of ClubLink costs and their influence on fees.
              Hey Benz, not sure what your renewal email/letter said or why you would say the above but mine specifically had a line saying;

The cost of operating our business increased dramatically in 2018 as a direct result of legislation in Ontario that imposed a 23% increase to minimum wage
              That to me suggest they are putting some blame or 23% onto the previous Liberal Gov't.

It's becasue you are looking at the membership vs.cost per round to play golf only. There has been many prior posts but when looking at a membership you can never look at it as membership vs cost per round, you'll likely never win tat way..

There is so much more to a membership that you have to factor in like the social aspect...i.e tournaments, league night, meeting new people/friends, etc.

Between my wife (Wyndance) and me (DB) I would say we have met a solid group of people that we not only play golf with but go out for dinners, sporting events, travel to golf resorts etc..
              Last edited by chrish8; Oct 28, 2018, 09:09 AM.
              In the Bag

Ball: Mostly whatever I find after losing mine in the woods. Otherwise B330 or Z-Star XV
              --------

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post

That to me suggest they are putting some blame or 23% onto the previous Liberal Gov't
                That was exactly my point. They are using a hike in the minimum wage as partial rationale for increasing fees.

I would be curious to know how much their bottom line was affected by the legislation.
                Not all of their costs would be affected, nor would all of their wages.
                Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

That was exactly my point. They are using a hike in the minimum wage as partial rationale for increasing fees.

I would be curious to know how much their bottom line was affected by the legislation.
                  Not all of their costs would be affected, nor would all of their wages.
                  I don't have the exact number but I do know it did have an impact, i.e at DB there was less staff overall, only 1 bev cart on the course etc......as most of the staff at CL would of fallen into the wage hike and that takes it toll
                  In the Bag

--------

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post

I easily play 50+ rounds a year. The fact that courses are well maintained. Some amazing layouts and usually sub 4hr rounds. At worst on a packed weekend its a 4.5hr round vs public golf with 6hr rounds.

This is not even including the social aspect. Tournaments, mens night, etc. I know some clubs are very different then other with that regard. But at national pines most of us know each other.
                    I think all the items above are also available as a public golfer.
                    Have Never in 30+ years seen a 6 hr round unless it was a high stakes money tourney or a charity scramble.

using 50 rounds a year at say $5000 in fees, works out to $100 a round.
                    In that price range , even less there are many public access courses that are as good and as well maintained.
                    Using my course as an example,( and there are others the same) very good, challenging layout, is always in incredible condition , multiplay packs so can be played for well under $100 a round. Has a men's and ;adies and seniors league. Has a well enforced pop standard and even on a busy Sunday with a full tee sheet rarely exceeds 4:30. I played many times and cant recall more than a handful over 4 hrs and that would have been at our packed men's night. POP which hasn't differed from my many CL rounds played. Actually have had rounds at CL - BH that were brutally slow.

The social aspect of a club is a bonus that if one who is wanting that gets when affiliated with one club. I enjoy attending tournies and men's nights at CL. Very well done. Arguably , one can get similar being affiliated with one public or semi private course as they have leagues , tourneys etc too. Having attended many CL men's nights they are more involved and better than most though. The Club Championships and member tournies are a bonus for sure but a public golfer can play in Men's open events and other tours like mulligan and gta am etc if they want that.

I've been a private club member before ( non initiation course) and enjoyed that sense of belonging and there is an increased feeling of camaraderie for sure. The biggest benefit of CL, IMO is access to several courses of which most are quite nice. I'm just not one who sees the value in a big initiation and high (ish) annuals and a mandatory food and beverage minimum, but obviously many do and can afford that as they can high end exclusive clubs like Beacon or Coppinwood etc.
                    Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 28, 2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

My X and I had over 50K in membership fees. I eventually left for a private club and paid another initiation. That being said I do not regard the initiation as a hook. the money is gone. I loved Clublink but it eventually did not fit my life changes and I needed something that would. I never could understand why people would take the dues and divide the rounds to see if it s a good deal or not. It is a luxury to play at these clubs, either pay for it or do not. The value is not in the price!

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
                        That to me suggest they are putting some blame or 23% onto the previous Liberal Gov't.
                        'Simons has just upped the ante': Retail giant moves to $16 per hour minimum wage

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...wage-1.4879185

Comment

Originally posted by Onin3 View Post
                          My X and I had over 50K in membership fees. I eventually left for a private club and paid another initiation. That being said I do not regard the initiation as a hook. the money is gone. I loved Clublink but it eventually did not fit my life changes and I needed something that would. I never could understand why people would take the dues and divide the rounds to see if it s a good deal or not. It is a luxury to play at these clubs, either pay for it or do not. The value is not in the price!
                          Value is in the eyes of the beholder. Some people drive a $80,000 car, some a $30,000 car, both do the same job and will get you from from A - B . A Timex tells time the same as a Rolex.

some people don't see value in throwing 50K at something and some people simply cannot do so. This is especially true as I said above where in many cases you can get access to equally good golf being a public player or via a private or semi-private course with either an equity share ( which can increase in value or at least have some return on the upfront investment) or even with zero initiation fees.

I understand that to some private club members there are fringe items like access to other course facilities ( pool, gym, curling, restaurant etc) that might make membership more attractive to some, but from purely a golf standpoint , its very hard to make a case that pricey membership dues offer anything more than can be had with public golf. There can be a prestige thing being a member at the best courses ( St Georges, Goodwood, Beacon, Coppinwood , National would be the only ones IMO) and course a few that like to flaunt and advertise ( in their profiles etc ) that they are members at private clubs as a sort of " hey look at me"

CL has most of the bases covered and provides something for everyone, daily fee courses and courses with varying levels of initiation and annual fees from small to very expensive. A good approach to be in at all levels
                          Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 28, 2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Peter there arent that many really nice public courses that id compare to the likes of most CL courses.

Osprey
                            SAV
                            Eagles Nest
                            Copper creek. Most of these courses are 100 or over

Maybe an argument could be made for Redcrest Lakeview Lionhead and courses of this calibre. But these courses are often very busy and riddled with public golfers that dont respect the course. These courses are a better value but mosy CL courses are much nicer. I dont consider bond head a true cl course cuz its open to public which is exactly why i left. 5hr rounds. People not fixing divots ballmarks etc

Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
                            3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
                            5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
                            3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
                            Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
                            Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
                            Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Belong to CL or any private club is a lifestyle choice. No need to justify or judge in my mind, unless one borrows thru the nose to support that lifestyle. I play public course as I dont want to spend upwards of $8k a year (including F&Bs) in golf every year. I do drive a decent german car and enjoy other luxury items that one may consider unnecessary. But then its my life my money after all

Comment

Originally posted by wongmb View Post
                                Belong to CL or any private club is a lifestyle choice. No need to justify or judge in my mind, unless one borrows thru the nose to support that lifestyle. I play public course as I dont want to spend upwards of $8k a year (including F&Bs) in golf every year. I do drive a decent german car and enjoy other luxury items that one may consider unnecessary. But then its my life my money after all
                                agreed, It's personal preference and choice. I'm more of a value conscious person , I usually only buy items I need when they go on sale, shop the flyers and sales for groceries, often buy from the US to save $, use an old blackberry phone with a cheap plan. I do drive 2 "nice" German vehicles but one is 32 years old the other 15.

I could probably make a membership at a nice course work but I'd be uncomfortable with that expenditure and if I had zero $ concerns I might join a nice local club that offers fantastic golf but I only care about the golf and tournies...... Beacon (- which I thought about when they had their 25 year anniversary sale), Coppinwood, Goodwood , Wyndance) Instead the value conscious me decided to work pt at a nice club and play golf for free. Plus I have generous friends and the bonus of getting private invites pretty regularly ....frugal and lucky I guess

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 171,103   Posts: 1,787,912   Members: 46,720   Active Members: 362
                                Welcome to our newest member, burly89.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X