/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Considering Joining - but is this the year to do it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Joining - but is this the year to do it?

I have gotten a good quote on a gold level course as an intermediate, and I think I could play often enough to justify the membership fee (50+ rounds), even though I know that's not really the right way to think about a membership.

I'm mostly interested in joining because I'd like to be able to get in rounds during the week on a whim or on weekends when my golf buddies aren't available to play. I'm a high handicap player (30-40) and really just want to get out there to play or practice as often as I can - even if that means playing as a single or joining another group as their 4th from time to time. I'm also interested because due to covid, I have tons of flexibility in my schedule, and golf courses are one of the few places that are open. I'd like to allocate my "fun" budget almost entirely to golf.

With the requirement to book tee times well in advance, closure of driving ranges and practice facilities, no clubhouse, and no social aspects (ex. tournaments, men's nights, etc.).. is this the year to join? Will I really get a private club experience other than good pace of play this year?

If there is no initiation and you got a good 2020 deal on monthly dues...I say join....you just want to golf and when it's slow in the evening just go out and practice on the course.
    Seems like you just want to play...so the other amenities that are closed won't affect you much...you'll also meet some new members to play golf with.

Comment

Is there a potential trial membership at the club you are looking at? If you are unsure about whether this is the best year to join, maybe you would want to allocated ~$3-3.5K towards a trial for the year? After all, you mentioned you are just looking to get out and play as much as you can by the sounds of it, and you will farrrr exceed that total cost in rounds played + practice + any other potential amenities. A few years ago I had done a trial member at a private club in the gta which cost me ~$3200 for the year with no limitations. I tallied 64 rounds + countless hours of range and other practice facilities + gym and others. I had kept track of what the actual cost would have been and it was roughly 5x the amount I paid for the year trial. You will also have a pretty good idea if it is the right course to join afterwards, and if not, you got to enjoy a lot of golf- just a potential thought/idea?

Comment

I recently went through the same process and decided against it for this season. You will get more out of your membership next season and we are already a month into the season. I am going to play public this season and think about it again next season as I will still be eligible for Intermediate status.

Comment

If it helps anyone ....a regular I golf with said the rumor is a new member at Wyndance was able to get in this year for $5k membership + annuals and it included a cart package and a muskoka getaway for 4
          In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
          Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
          Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
          Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
          Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
          Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
          Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
          --------
          Home Course - Clublink

Comment

T&C . . . you could always find an excuse to delay your membership . . . I think you should join if you can afford it. For me the biggest advantage is the fact you can go and play 7 holes if you want . . . or play 9 . . . there is no limits on the number of time you go. You might not have 5 hours but might have 2 hours . . . I am on it. The more you play the more your score will come down . . . just enjoy your time and your score will get taken care by itself . . .
            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
              The more you play the more your score will come down . . . just enjoy your time and your score will get taken care by itself . . .
              Says the guy that shoots in the 70's
              In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
              Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
              Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
              Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
              Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
              Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
              Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
              --------
              Home Course - Clublink

Comment