Collapse

Golfing in Phoenix

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rpangman View Post
    Since you will be in the Glendale area try the Wigwam Golf courses. Great value for your buck and 3 very good courses.
    Wigwam is more like Florida parkland style, so don't go here expecting to play desert golf. It's a nice resort, no doubt, but the golf is just average. Priced right as you mentioned and certainly worthwhile if staying in the area, but not really worth the trip to Litchfield Park for those staying in Scottsdale.

Glendale and west from there are great spots for budget-minded golf, so we'll have to get out that way next time and explore lesser know courses. Scottsdale is ridiculously expensive, but probably worth it for first-timers.
    – Greg

Comment

HandsofStone-see my post dated August 10 for a list of reasonably priced courses. I agree with Weirfan- Dove Valley Ranch is one of our favourite courses. Always in great condition and priced way below $100. Check its website and Golfnow

Comment

I'm going to PHX Oct 7-14, hoping to get a few rounds in. It seems its right in the middle of overseed season, with lots of courses closed and some opening right when I get there. What can I expect in terms of conditions from courses that have only reopened a day or two earlier, and what can I expect from courses that close for overseeding in a day or two?

I've never been to the phoenix area and have only played desert golf near vegas in the spring before. Not sure how concerned I should be.
        Titleist 915D2 10.5*
        Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
        Titleist 915H 21*
        Titleist AP1 714 4-6
        Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
        Vokey 50* 56* 62*
        Scotty Cameron A.O.P. Newport
        Bridgestone E6

Comment

I guarantee that you will love Phoenix. The golf courses are the most beautiful courses I have ever played (next month will be our 14th year in a row vacationing in Phoenix). Play desert courses . Pass on the parkland courses. To answer your questions, do NOT play any courses that will be closing in a few days for overseeding. They stop watering the fairways before overseeding because they are just going to scrape off the grass so the can seed with the winter grass. So the conditions will be poor. There is no problem playing a course just after they reopen after overseeding. The course will be in pristine condition and the rates are usually lower for a few weeks. Just remember that the courses will be cart path only for 2-3 weeks. See my post of August 10 for a list of my favourite courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
            Play desert courses . Pass on the parkland courses. To answer your questions, do NOT play any courses that will be closing in a few days for overseeding. They stop watering the fairways before overseeding because they are just going to scrape off the grass so the can seed with the winter grass. So the conditions will be poor. There is no problem playing a course just after they reopen after overseeding. The course will be in pristine condition and the rates are usually lower for a few weeks. Just remember that the courses will be cart path only for 2-3 weeks.
            Thanks for the tips. I will make sure to avoid the courses that are about to close. It seems like I am pretty screwed though and happen to be going at the worst time of the year to golf.

If this is to be believed, I will have very slim pickings of courses to play, and almost no options among the top courses:
            The 2017 Arizona Golf Overseed Schedule is listed below for all golf courses offered through Phoenix Scottsdale Golf. Please browse all golf courses below to find out the schedules of closure and re-open dates. If you have any questions regarding course condition, rates or availability

Disappointing to say the least.

Titleist 915D2 10.5*
            Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
            Titleist 915H 21*
            Titleist AP1 714 4-6
            Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
            Vokey 50* 56* 62*
            Bridgestone E6

Comment

Yep, you have picked the worst week to go to Phoenix. However, all is not lost. Three of the best courses will have reopened by the time you arrive-Boulders South, Troon North Monument and Grayhawk Raptor. They will be somewhat expensive, but worth it. There are, in addition, several other great courses available-Dove Valley Ranch, McDowell Mountain (owned by Phil Mickelson, and the scene of my best round in my career-72), Rancho Manana, SunRidge Canyon and TCP Champions (not the course they play the PGA tournament). All are desert courses. I have played all of them with the exception of TCP, and they are all fantastic. You can google "2017 Arizona Golf Course Overseed Schedule" for a full list of courses.

Comment

Thanks again, I linked the overseed schedule here in my previous post. I still have options, like you said, I'm sure it'll be fine. Looking forward to it!
                Titleist 915D2 10.5*
                Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
                Titleist 915H 21*
                Titleist AP1 714 4-6
                Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
                Vokey 50* 56* 62*
                Bridgestone E6

Comment

Originally posted by Shankopotamus View Post
                  Thanks again, I linked the overseed schedule here in my previous post. I still have options, like you said, I'm sure it'll be fine. Looking forward to it!
                  If you can possibly manage the time ( ~2hr drive) head up to Sedona. There are a couple courses and the scenery is incredible. Enjoy!
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Sitting on the patio at troon north right now crushing beers...played 36 at Quintero yesterday..I love AZ...

Comment

Originally posted by jaymo91 View Post
                      Sitting on the patio at troon north right now crushing beers...played 36 at Quintero yesterday..I love AZ...
                      I was on that patio 2 weeks ago, but it was way too hot to sit outside. I missed playing Quinterro this trip ( perhaps my fav course) they played it after I left

Comment

So I am off to PHX tomorrow. I have Dove Valley Ranch, Troon North Monument, Ak Chin Southern Dunes and Longbow all booked. I'll probably play Talking Stick my last day since I'm staying there that night. I think I did pretty well.

Wondering, is it too hot to play 36? Will I melt? I guess I'll find out.
                        Titleist 915D2 10.5*
                        Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
                        Titleist 915H 21*
                        Titleist AP1 714 4-6
                        Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
                        Vokey 50* 56* 62*
                        Bridgestone E6

Comment

So I am off to PHX tomorrow. I have Dove Valley Ranch, Troon North Monument, Ak Chin Southern Dunes and Longbow all booked. I'll probably play Talking Stick my last day since I'm staying there that night. I think I did pretty well.

We played 36 at Quintero on Sep 18th (and I would assume it was warmer then now) so you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Comment

Go every September when it's typically a high of 100-108 and regularly play 36 holes.

teeing off at 7am you will be fine in the morning with the hottest time being 2-5 ish) ( at least it is in September)

hydrate well, I drank 16 water bottles playing 36 at the TPC this year.
                            park the cart in any available shade whenever you are stopping.
                            if you are waiting to hit stand ! Stand in shade or stay in cart.
                            A bucket brimmed hat and sunscreen are recommended. Some of my local friends there wear sun sleeves.
                            Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 6, 2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

My wife and I are off to Phoenix tomorrow for our 15th annual 2 week vacation. Weather is 87 degrees. Looking forward to fantastic golf, great weather, and amazing food. Life is good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
                                My wife and I are off to Phoenix tomorrow for our 15th annual 2 week vacation. Weather is 87 degrees. Looking forward to fantastic golf, great weather, and amazing food. Life is good!!
                                Enjoy !

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X