Collapse

Iphone Unlocking

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iphone Unlocking

Long story short - daughter's Iphone 4 was stolen and I'm helping her find a replacement. Friend at work has an Iphone 4S that I know has been treated well, he was a FIDO subscriber, the phone is not activated right now.

I've been quoted $125 to have it "unlocked" and added to Bell. Anyone have any experience with unlocking a phone? Recommendations where to go in Oakville/Mississauga?

Thanks.

Re: Iphone Unlocking

Originally posted by PingGuy View Post
    Long story short - daughter's Iphone 4 was stolen and I'm helping her find a replacement. Friend at work has an Iphone 4S that I know has been treated well, he was a FIDO subscriber, the phone is not activated right now.

I've been quoted $125 to have it "unlocked" and added to Bell. Anyone have any experience with unlocking a phone? Recommendations where to go in Oakville/Mississauga?

Thanks.
    If all you want to do is unlock the phone, have the carrier do it.

Each of the carriers seem to charge different amounts to unlock an iPhone.

There are lots of places and people who will offer jailbreak/unlock services, or 3rd party Sim unlocks, but if you don't know the implications wrt software upgrades etc., you'll probably save yourself some headaches by letting the carrier do it.
    Last edited by shankuverymuch; Jan 2, 2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Drop down to these guys and get them to unlock it.

Comment

I agree to get the carrier to do it as my son got someone to unlock and when he stuck in his Bell SIM card, wouldn't work. Fella who unlocked wouldn't refund as said he "unlocked it" and Bell didn't want to touch it.
        - Vessel Cart Bag
        - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver
        - Callaway UW 17° & 21°
        - Callaway Apex TCB irons (5-AW)
        - Callaway Full Toe 54 & 58 wedges
        - Toulon Chicago putter

Comment

The last I heard, Rogers/Fido only charge about 50 bucks to unlock.

Comment

If the owner of the 4S is a friend of yours, and he is the contract owner of the phone, he can have Fido unlock the phone for $50-60. They send it away for a couple of days. It has to be the owner if I'm not mistaken, if you buy it off of him and he doesn't go in with you, I believe their policy is not to unlock it. That's my understanding, based on what a CSR explained to me regarding my iPhone 4 when I recently renewed my contract and got a new phone.

Comment

one problem with unlocking the phone via a third party. if you update the software, the phone will undo the changes and you will have the phone locked again. Bell Charged me either 50$ or 75$ to unlock my iPhone, that was charged at the time of when they unlocked the phone and i had to backup my device and use iTunes to remove the lock.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrib View Post
                if you update the software
                What software ?
                updating the iOS ? (iphone operating system) ?

Comment

A few years ago I did the unlocking over the internet.

Paid $20 or something.
                  Must be harder now.

Comment

Originally posted by PingGolfer View Post
                    If whoever unlocks it, jailbreaks and S/W unlocks, upgrading iOS will usually kill the jaibreak. Now you're back to a phone locked to Fido.

... Or worse, bricked.

If one isn't comfortable doing a jaibreak / unlock themselves, pay the 50 bucks and have the carrier do it. That way, it's done forever.

BTW, DO NOT use any website where they charge for S/W to do a jailbreak. They're selling you FREE software.

Comment

Originally posted by PingGuy View Post
                      iPhone 4S locked
                      Get a used iphone ?

iPhone 4s Mint (16GB)= $299 (store).
                      iphone 4S on kijiji = $200.

$125 to unlock a phone seems really high.

Comment

Originally posted by PingGolfer View Post
                        What software ?
                        updating the iOS ? (iphone operating system) ?

shankyouverymuch said it well in his post as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shankuverymuch View Post
                          If whoever unlocks it, jailbreaks and S/W unlocks, upgrading iOS will usually kill the jaibreak. Now you're back to a phone locked to Fido.

... Or worse, bricked.

If one isn't comfortable doing a jaibreak / unlock themselves, pay the 50 bucks and have the carrier do it. That way, it's done forever.

BTW, DO NOT use any website where they charge for S/W to do a jailbreak. They're selling you FREE software.
                          funny enough, when i was looking at unlocking my phone at a 3rd party website it took just as long as getting it done via the carrier. Bell and the 3rd party stated it will take 3 days. i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 3rd party was going to do to the leg work for me and the get unlock codes from bell and sell it to me. the 3rd party website also wanted 175$ to complete the task.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrib View Post
                            funny enough, when i was looking at unlocking my phone at a 3rd party website it took just as long as getting it done via the carrier. Bell and the 3rd party stated it will take 3 days. i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 3rd party was going to do to the leg work for me and the get unlock codes from bell and sell it to me. the 3rd party website also wanted 175$ to complete the task.

Yup, that's basically what they're doing.

Bell changed their policy in September.

Bell unlock starts at $50
                            Rogers/Fido $50
                            Telus $35

You can also get. SIM unlock for about $40, but it may become useless next iOS upgrade.

Take the phone to Fido, and save a ton of aggro.

Comment

What's the significance of having an unlocked phone vs a locked one?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X