Collapse

Larry Cheung teaching feedbacks?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Larry Cheung teaching feedbacks?

sorry should have been more clear... I just see people posting before and after video of the swings, and what I meant to say is that I never understood how people, even teachers, could understand how good/or how bad bad a shot is just by simply looking at a video of before and after swing, and thus I just don't know people could see how good of a teacher based on the video of before and after.
    I think what would be more crucial to know is the club information like one below, and how those metrics have improved before and after.

just my humble opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by tkko View Post
      sorry should have been more clear... I just see people posting before and after video of the swings, and what I meant to say is that I never understood how people, even teachers, could understand how good/or how bad bad a shot is just by simply looking at a video of before and after swing, and thus I just don't know people could see how good of a teacher based on the video of before and after.
      I think what would be more crucial to know is the club information like one below, and how those metrics have improved before and after.

We are all entitled our own opinions. I don't think we can say launch monitor is more crucial or video is more crucial in helping golfers get better. A lot can be learned by video, and a lot can be learned from launch monitors. One can very easily spot pieces that can be improved on with just video if they have the experience. At the end of the day, the golf swing is a motion, and I would look at the motion first before looking at launch monitor data.

This is a topic for another thread, and I'd be happy to participate in it if you'd like
      Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

I think the point of the video is to show in a simplistic way the progression the student has made under the guidance of the instructor. I’m no expert but I can easily see the difference in most before and after swings. Was the swing in balance, over the top, flipping etc. Ball flight is something we generally don’t see in these videos. The thing that bugs me in video analysis, especially on tv, is that we don’t know what kind of shot the golfer is taking. Are they trying to hit a high draw, high fade, low draw etc., they all have different motions.

Comment

I've known larry for a few years as we both worked with the same coach before he started teaching, so i saw how he was always tinkering and working on his own swing. He has great technical knowledge of the swing and overall just a great guy. Good to see him doing well, expecting big things from him and his students!

Comment

From video frames we can check angles as in these photos.....Jack Nicklaus said the club has a slightly open look at address.I think we need these kinds of positions in place before we can use metrics, and only video can show them.
            Attached Files

Comment

Larry is a stand up guy. I have had the pleasure knowing him for the past 5 years and this past week he took a look at my swing. He gave me a few things to work on over the winter to increase my ball speed and hit the ball farther. I started golfing when I was 12 years old and turned pro when I was 20 not once taking a lesson. What Larry told me this week was easy to understand and easy for me to adapt to and incorporate into my swing and routine without much change. I can vouch that Larry can be a great teacher for all skill levels!

Your a great guy Larry, dont ever change!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryCheung View Post
                At the end of the day, the golf swing is a motion, and I would look at the motion first before looking at launch monitor data.
                I agree 100% Larry, as the swing is the input and the LM data is the output.
                I'd take a competent instructor every day of the week over video with data.

Tonight I sent someone your way for some lessons, so keep up the great work on instruction and sharing freely with the membership
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Hi All,

I was looking for a golf instructor to help clean up my swing and decided to go with Larry after reading all the feedback posted on this thread. Had my first lesson on Thursday night. All I can say is he really knows his stuff but more importantly he dispenses the knowledge in a clear and concise manner that allows you to absorb it without feeling overwhelmed. By the end of the one hour lesson, I had improved my average swing speed by over 10 miles an hour and was hitting the ball much more solidly.

I've already recommended Larry to a few of my friends although I feel like I want to keep him as a secret weapon

Great job Larry, keep up the excellent work.

Comment

Originally posted by hayden7188 View Post
                    Great job Larry, keep up the excellent work.
                    Great review
                    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Oh my, how did the "old timers" (born before 1990 ... '80, '70) ever possibly learn to play before all the "new tech".

I remember something 30 odd years ago, when I was working at a golf course.

I was in the pro shop, the golfers were teeing off on the nearby first tee.

The pro shop door was open, so every few minutes another group could be heard teeing off.

Just "background noise" .... until ...... "CRACK !"

Even from ~100 feet away the sound was so different, I had to take a look.

Sure enough, it was the head pro teeing off

Comment

I have known Larry for 8 months now. What an exceptional stand up guy.

This winter, I have decided to give him try, and tweak my lazy swing, at the Golf Lounge (The best in door sim in Ontario)

After the first three lessons, I was already able to clean up some of my decade old bad habits. Most coaches try to fit you in his swing, Larry on the other hand knows how to tackle the lowest hanging fruits, and get you back on track ASAP. That to me is a definition of a good coach: One that observes and corrects efficiently, not reconstructing you to be Rory...

Some people buy new clubs to fix their game, I'd rather buy lessons with Larry all day!

Comment

At first, I didn't want to leave a feedback for Larry cause I know he has a maximum capacity for students as he's aiming to compete in the Pros and he disciplined enough to dedicate time to his own game. I wanted to selfishly keep him my secret... but I also know that he needs to make a bit of money to support his golf career goals... so here we go:

I started seeing Larry through a few recommendations in November to start working on my game as I was struggling a bit last year. As some of you may know, I posted about my progress when I first started playing golf here:
                          http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=53018, then I continued to write about my progress here: http://jeremychoi.com/category/health/

Unfortunately, I haven't been updating, but after training with Larry for the few months, I think I'm ready to blog about it again.

It was a tough 4 month with Larry. Not going to lie, and I was struggling to find practice time with the baby, and struggling to get into the proper positions to really understand why I was doing the things I was doing. But I trusted the process.

My swing was almost reconstructed, but not in a bad way. Just more efficient. We started slow, with good reasons that I finally start to understand after months of doing MANY repetitive tasks that almost felt like it made no sense at the time. I couldn't hit the ball, my speed was low, I barely hit my 8 iron 140 yards, and I kept either thinning to fatting the shots. But I trusted the process.

We moved ball positions and it felt like I was hitting from the front foot, and we got into squatting positions like I was about to do a 360 jump, we did exercises to combat the massive forward lean I had on the downswing. All that made me frustrated cause I still couldn't hit the ball, and it kept going super high. But I trusted the process.

On Monday, I finally had a bit of a breakthrough -- things are piecing together finally, and I'm starting to stripe the ball pretty well.

Here is my latest swing that Larry recorded of my 5-iron:

Launch angle is still high, and certain things I still need to work on, but at least, it's work in progress, and if I can hit balls like this all day, Champ Flight, here I come

Needless to say, I'm exited to play and compete on the GTA AM Tour (currently in the B flight). Still lots of work, but just to say, I trusted the process, and it's finally paying off.

As a note, I see Larry once a week, and I seldom practiced. I would practice once every 2 weeks, if that, but if you have the capabilities to put in more time than I do, I think you'll see much faster results.

He's not just a teacher, but a player as well, watch him swing and hit the ball. He can pound his driver 300+ yards, and he doesn't look (physically) like he can do it, but he does. Efficiencies in a swing.

All in all, if you get a chance to be part of his roster of students while he has room, do it - otherwise, see you at the bottom of the flights, muahahaha!
                          Last edited by JeremyC; Mar 8, 2016, 09:54 PM.
                          Husband. Father. Golfer. Entrepreneur.

Comment

Good work, nice action. What's up with the 1.61 smash factor though? Seems unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Laicha View Post
                              Good work, nice action. What's up with the 1.61 smash factor though? Seems unlikely.
                              Yeah that's one challenge with HD Golf - you really need to use a reflective strip on the ball to accurately measure spin, otherwise it's not accurate.

I posted a similar video few years ago hitting my 8-iron 170 carry but that was without accurate spin measurement... it's more like 150 carry in real life =)

Whenever I play HD Golf rounds without using the reflective strip, i end up hitting 1 club longer.

So by my estimates, Jeremy would still carrying his 5-iron 200+ which is very possible given the solid swing!

Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)
                              TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 | RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19 | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)
                              Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35

Comment

Originally posted by neova View Post
                                Yeah that's one challenge with HD Golf - you really need to use a reflective strip on the ball to accurately measure spin, otherwise it's not accurate.

I posted a similar video few years ago hitting my 8-iron 170 carry but that was without accurate spin measurement... it's more like 150 carry in real life =)

Whenever I play HD Golf rounds without using the reflective strip, i end up hitting 1 club longer.

So by my estimates, Jeremy would still carrying his 5-iron 200+ which is very possible given the solid swing!
                                I had the same thing the other day while hitting a the Lounge, had a down hill Par 3 that was 178, hit 8i and apparently it went 234 yards

Curious on the carrying a 5i 200+ with a low 80's iron SS, you'd be having to hit it as pure as Trumps motives to get those numbers. I'll get to mid 90's iron SS and that's my 5i range.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X