Collapse

Modern Golf Product Review

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Golf Product Review

I had first visited the Modern Golf facility back in September to get fitted for a new Driver. All I can say is that if a good first impression is something that you value than Modern Golf will be your new favourite destination the second you walk in the door.

I had the privledge of being on the MG Review Panel last Sunday for the 2013 product reviews. The MG boys and I have become close as I have written some articles on their facility on my blog - The High Fade.

It was definitely one of the cooler experiences I have ever had, personally and as a huge golf nut - A Toronto Golf Nut that is!

I plan to post reviews of all the products that I hit during my time there. But I wanted to share a clip from my recent blog post on MG is truly a first class facility.

"After we were finished hitting and reviewing products for the panel I wanted to give my new toy a whirl in one MG’s state of the art simulators.

So I made a few swings with my new Cobra driver, however the TrackMan technology in the simulator wasn’t showing me the results that I was used to with the Big Stick. Rightfully so, this got me a little freaked out at this point for a couple reasons. First, I just plopped down a nice chunk of change on this custom club and I was hitting it about 30 yards shorter than my old TaylorMade Burner Surperfast. Second, I actually felt like I was hitting the club really well, which made me question this whole new purchase in general.

What happened after Ian had a look at these swings I was making, as well as the TrackMan numbers and the actual club itself, was a true testament to the quality and knowledge of the fitting and the golf swing that Ian and the MG team posses.

Generally speaking, I hit the ball pretty far. When I am swinging well I have the ability to hit the ball in the 290-300+ range with the driver. However, my first few swings with the new driver were consistently ending up between 260-270. So Ian takes my driver and sets it to open. He says to me “for whatever reason you de-loft the club at impact which consequently makes you catch the ball low on the club face.” While he is setting the club to open, he then tells me to tee the ball up slightly higher on my next swing. He then hands me the club, and my next 8 swings all went between 285 – 300 yards!

I was truly blown away at how Ian was able to analyze the data on the simulator and combine his knowledge of the swing to make me hit the ball 30 yards further pretty much instantaneously without changing my swing. For anyone who may be skeptical about the use of advanced technology in golf to gain distance, which is something everybody strives for, all you have to do is book an appointment to Modern Golf…they will take care of the rest!"
    The High Fade Golf Blog
    http://thehighfade.tumblr.com
    https://www.facebook.com/TheHighFade?ref=hl
    https://twitter.com/thehighfade

Re: Modern Golf Product Review

It is a top notch facility !

slightly confused by your post though, you say with the driver you get it out to 290-300 which presumably you captured those numbers with your incumbent Burner driver, and now with the new Cobra you dipped by 30 and then went back up to your previous distance after adjusting....so the new Driver hasnt made much difference to your length off the tee?

Originally posted by thehighfade View Post
    I had first visited the Modern Golf facility back in September to get fitted for a new Driver. All I can say is that if a good first impression is something that you value than Modern Golf will be your new favourite destination the second you walk in the door.

I had the privledge of being on the MG Review Panel last Sunday for the 2013 product reviews. The MG boys and I have become close as I have written some articles on their facility on my blog - The High Fade.

It was definitely one of the cooler experiences I have ever had, personally and as a huge golf nut - A Toronto Golf Nut that is!

I plan to post reviews of all the products that I hit during my time there. But I wanted to share a clip from my recent blog post on MG is truly a first class facility.

"After we were finished hitting and reviewing products for the panel I wanted to give my new toy a whirl in one MG’s state of the art simulators.

So I made a few swings with my new Cobra driver, however the TrackMan technology in the simulator wasn’t showing me the results that I was used to with the Big Stick. Rightfully so, this got me a little freaked out at this point for a couple reasons. First, I just plopped down a nice chunk of change on this custom club and I was hitting it about 30 yards shorter than my old TaylorMade Burner Surperfast. Second, I actually felt like I was hitting the club really well, which made me question this whole new purchase in general.

What happened after Ian had a look at these swings I was making, as well as the TrackMan numbers and the actual club itself, was a true testament to the quality and knowledge of the fitting and the golf swing that Ian and the MG team posses.

Generally speaking, I hit the ball pretty far. When I am swinging well I have the ability to hit the ball in the 290-300+ range with the driver. However, my first few swings with the new driver were consistently ending up between 260-270. So Ian takes my driver and sets it to open. He says to me “for whatever reason you de-loft the club at impact which consequently makes you catch the ball low on the club face.” While he is setting the club to open, he then tells me to tee the ball up slightly higher on my next swing. He then hands me the club, and my next 8 swings all went between 285 – 300 yards!

I was truly blown away at how Ian was able to analyze the data on the simulator and combine his knowledge of the swing to make me hit the ball 30 yards further pretty much instantaneously without changing my swing. For anyone who may be skeptical about the use of advanced technology in golf to gain distance, which is something everybody strives for, all you have to do is book an appointment to Modern Golf…they will take care of the rest!"

Comment

I agree with what Chiimz77 posted. If what you stated about your distance with your Burner Superfast as 290yds-300yds is true, seems like the Cobra is not an upgrade, unless the dispersion is much better. Maybe you should have tried teeing up your Burner higher and you might have gained another 30 yards and would have saved yourself some money. When Ian said "for whatever reason you de-loft the club at impact which consequently makes you catch the ball low on the clubface", did he explain how to correct this, other than just teeing the ball up higher? The reason I ask, is I tend to do the same thing. Thanks.

Comment

I hope Oliver doesn't mind me answering your questions on his behalf.

When I first met Oliver last summer I was seriously impressed by the speed he could generate with his smooth swing, his club head speed was around 114-116 (baring in mind this was in the middle of the golf season) with his driver allowing him at to hit the ball well over 300 yards. As Oliver said he used a stock 2010 Burner Superfast driver, he just had the stock 48gram, 46inch Re-Ax shaft which at around 115mph he had no business using. So although he would hit the driver occasionally long and straightish he also hit some pretty wild misses with the Burner driver largely because the shaft was not even close to stiff enough, the clubhead speed Oliver generated with that club basically ment the shaft could not cope with the load place on it which would compromise the integrity of the club face at impact.

At 115mph I think it is fair to say most people aren't really looking to hit the ball further, my objective with Oliver was to get him in play enough times per round from the fairway that he could capitalize on his god given gift to hit the ball a long way. He was fitted into a RIP Alpha 60 X in his Cobra AMP Driver (which for me was the most under rated club in 2012). The result was a much tighter shot dispersion and much more controlled launch and spin rate. The driver was cut to 45" rather than 46" which resulted in a slight drop in Clubhead Speed but his improved efficiency with his launch numbers made up for the lose of Clubhead speed.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by pugs View Post
          I agree with what Chiimz77 posted. If what you stated about your distance with your Burner Superfast as 290yds-300yds is true, seems like the Cobra is not an upgrade, unless the dispersion is much better. Maybe you should have tried teeing up your Burner higher and you might have gained another 30 yards and would have saved yourself some money. When Ian said "for whatever reason you de-loft the club at impact which consequently makes you catch the ball low on the clubface", did he explain how to correct this, other than just teeing the ball up higher? The reason I ask, is I tend to do the same thing. Thanks.
          Hi Pugs,

When you strike the ball low on the clubface the ball will launch lower and spin higher because of the gear effect. Oliver has a natrally low dynamic loft which is fantastic for achieving high ball speed and low spin rate, however if this is coupled with a strike too low on the clubface maximum distance would never be achieved. Try to take advantage of the fact the driver has more loft in the upper third of the Clubhead (because of the verticle roll of the Clubhead) try using a higher tee height and check if this improves where strike the ball on the Clubhead using impact tape.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by thehighfade View Post

Great review. I too was thoroughly impressed with the facility and the team - particularly Ian and Tracey, who made me feel right at home the minute I walked in - on my visit there. Looking forward to getting my whole bag fitted in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post
              Hi Pugs,

When you strike the ball low on the clubface the ball will launch lower and spin higher because of the gear effect. Oliver has a natrally low dynamic loft which is fantastic for achieving high ball speed and low spin rate, however if this is coupled with a strike too low on the clubface maximum distance would never be achieved. Try to take advantage of the fact the driver has more loft in the upper third of the Clubhead (because of the verticle roll of the Clubhead) try using a higher tee height and check if this improves where strike the ball on the Clubhead using impact tape.

MG
              Thanks for the explanation and advice. I'll definitely try what you have said.

Comment

Please don't waste yout time and money on this place.
                They are giving you the clubs they need to sell.
                Whenever you call them to book for fitting, they always tell you to book two days after.
                Makes you think they are busy but you will see how empty that place is...
                I went there because of theses good reviews but I met few people who actually been there all said the same thing.
                DON'T WASTE MONEY AND TIME WITH THEM!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Golfdaddy View Post
                  Please don't waste yout time and money on this place.
                  They are giving you the clubs they need to sell.
                  Whenever you call them to book for fitting, they always tell you to book two days after.
                  Makes you think they are busy but you will see how empty that place is...
                  I went there because of theses good reviews but I met few people who actually been there all said the same thing.
                  DON'T WASTE MONEY AND TIME WITH THEM!!!!!

Total BS on your part. They are as good as anybody in the business and no, I have no affiliation with them. Three posts and this is your best contribution?

They do not NEED to sell any particular club as they are ordered from the OEM and then disassembled for custom building.
                  Last edited by rgk5; Sep 20, 2014, 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
                  In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                  Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                  PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                  TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                  Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                    Total BS on your part. They are as good as anybody in the business and no, I have no affiliation with them. Three posts and this is your best contribution?

They do not NEED to sell any particular club as they are ordered from the OEM and then disassembled for custom building.
                    Apparently and unfortunately they DID need to sell as many clubs as possible at what I have heard from multiple sources were EXTREMELY high prices

This would be expected due to the size of the facility and operating costs. Unfortunately they seem to have not sold enough clubs to stay afloat...
                    Taylormade M2 9.5* HZRDUS BLACK 6.0
                    Titleist 915F 16.5* GD AD-DJ 7x
                    Titleist 913Hd 20* GD AD-DI 105x
                    Titleist 712u 24* DG X100
                    Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW DG X100
                    Vokey SM5 50F, 54S, 58K S400
                    TM Spider Tour Black

Comment

Originally posted by dageman View Post
                      Unfortunately they seem to have not sold enough clubs to stay afloat...
                      You're mistaking MG with The Golf Lab, no?

Comment

Originally posted by dageman View Post
                        Apparently and unfortunately they DID need to sell as many clubs as possible at what I have heard from multiple sources were EXTREMELY high prices

This would be expected due to the size of the facility and operating costs. Unfortunately they seem to have not sold enough clubs to stay afloat...

Err, try the Golf Lab not Modern Golf.

Comment

GolfDaddy's 3rd post on here?

First two posts were 3 1/2 years ago when he first joined. Was looking for golf partners back then. Something fishy going on with this account...
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                            GolfDaddy's 3rd post on here?

First two posts were 3 1/2 years ago when he first joined. Was looking for golf partners back then. Something fishy going on with this account...
                            Indeed. Where is Mule56 when you need him?

Comment

Err, try the Golf Lab not Modern Golf.
                              Yep I was mistaken brain fart sorry fellas..

I still think that in today's golf-economic environment it is tough for these high end fitters/sellers to stay afloat.

The loss of Golf Lab sucks hope Modern Golf can keep up the good work and business.
                              Taylormade M2 9.5* HZRDUS BLACK 6.0
                              Titleist 915F 16.5* GD AD-DJ 7x
                              Titleist 913Hd 20* GD AD-DI 105x
                              Titleist 712u 24* DG X100
                              Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW DG X100
                              Vokey SM5 50F, 54S, 58K S400
                              TM Spider Tour Black

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard