Collapse

Do these numbers look right?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do these numbers look right?

I don't really know much about iron fitting in terms launch angle and spins and stuff, but today i was hitting the new AP2s on the GC2 and do these numbers make sense?
    5 iron
    89 average SS
    5500 average spin
    launch 22
    carry 185
    total 190

Re: Do these numbers look right?

Originally posted by goudok View Post
    I don't really know much about iron fitting in terms launch angle and spins and stuff, but today i was hitting the new AP2s on the GC2 and do these numbers make sense?
    5 iron
    Would any comments be valid without understanding test protocol, considering:
    1. Did you hit indoors off a mat or outside off grass?
    - could hitting off grass give you more of a change than a different 5-Iron?
    2. Did you use provided golf balls or your own game balls?
    - could a different ball give you more of a change than a different 5-Iron?
    Last edited by TourIQ; Nov 9, 2013, 02:34 AM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

I hit indoors off a mat, used provided balls which where nxt tours.

Comment

5 iron
        89 average SS
        5500 average spin
        launch 22
        carry 185
        total 190
        Sure, the numbers are all logical. Not sure what you are really asking though?

Comment

Other than the launch angle being high, the numbers aren't too bad. Here are some numbers that might give you some perspective:
          Edit: go here now for the latest data as of February, 2022: Edit: Updated data for 2013. Edit #2: Updated Data for 2017 ClSd - Clubhead Speed BlSd - Ball Speed AoA - Angle of Attack VLa - Vertical Launch Angle Spin - Spin Rate (total) MH - Maximum Height of Ball (yards) Carry - Carry (yards)/uplo...

Comment

I was just wondering weather with the carry/total distances are somewhat accurate based on these launch numbers. My current setup i dont hit a 5 iron from 190 more like180ish, that is why i was asking if the new irons are that much longer, or maybe it was a different shaft that made it go that much further.
            Looking at the link above it's crazy how low the pros launch their ball

Comment

is NXT Tour what you usually play?

What is your current 5 iron head and shaft?

What shaft was in that new AP?

Launch seems a little on the high side frankly. Looks great indoors in fitting, may not work well outside on windy days though.

Spin and Carry seem reasonable, but a little on the high spin side. I say that because the PGA average was likely taking the ProV and other tour ball data in play. You had a serious high launch and that kind of spin with a NXT tour, and that is before actually compressing it off grass instead of a mat, which spins it a bit more.

I would have imagined that spin and high launch to have a steep angle of descent and minimal roll. Yet it is showing about 5 yards. Weird.

Need more info to help, but that is my opinion looking at the numbers. A little high, which some like but others may detest outside. Me being one of them. With the spin rate being up there with the PGA guys using NXT Tour and a lower SS, something about that worries me. Ballooning flight?

Comment

I was just wondering weather with the carry/total distances are somewhat accurate based on these launch numbers. My current setup i dont hit a 5 iron from 190 more like180ish, that is why i was asking if the new irons are that much longer, or maybe it was a different shaft that made it go that much further.
                Looking at the link above it's crazy how low the pros launch their ball
                Based on the numbers (SS, launch, spin) the end result (carry) is reasonable. The "total" just uses a calculated number roll out number so that really means nothing.
                The only way to really know if there is improvement is to bring your own club in and hit them both, see what comes up better.

Comment

My current AP2 712 are actually shafted with dynalite gold xp s300 the 714 that i tested was KBS tour R.. I usually play prov1x, no other reason other than i find them a bit longer with a driver other than that i don't feel any difference, however i don't remember what balls i used when i hit them on the GC2... i don't feel like I'm too steep nor do i take big divots, if anything i don't take any divots just sweep the ground..I do have a high ball flight, but i personally like it and have no issues other than when its very very windy..
                  i went to golf town today just to see what would show in their sims and tried an AP1 714 4iron with whatever the stock shaft is in stiff.. and on their simulator i was launching it at 14..with roughly 4200 spin and carry 195 total 202ish on average.. obviously GC2 should be more accurate but something is clearly off in one of these devices.. maybe i will get a change to go to golf lab this weekend and see what the trackman says
                  Thanks guys for all the help

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                    Other than the launch angle being high, the numbers aren't too bad. Here are some numbers that might give you some perspective:
                    http://thesandtrap.com/t/32498/track...a-tour-vs-lpga
                    when were these numbers taken from? the average LPGA player is driving their ball around 255ish while the men are driving on average about 285ish

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrib View Post
                      when were these numbers taken from? the average LPGA player is driving their ball around 255ish while the men are driving on average about 285ish
                      The numbers in the charts are carry distance.

I just looked on golfWRX at the thread for 2013 PGA Trackman data and the numbers are basically identical.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattv88 View Post
                        The numbers in the charts are carry distance.

I just looked on golfWRX at the thread for 2013 PGA Trackman data and the numbers are basically identical.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...tour-averages/
                        Thank you for posting that. I wonderied if there was something more recent. The old table was from mid-2000's. Interesting how with all the tech and all the "this club is x yds further" in the end, with essentially the same club speeds, the ball isn't carrying much further.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                          Thank you for posting that. I wonderied if there was something more recent. The old table was from mid-2000's. Interesting how with all the tech and all the "this club is x yds further" in the end, with essentially the same club speeds, the ball isn't carrying much further.
                          lol, that's not what manufacturers want you to hear... according to TM and callaway we hit miles longer..

Comment

Just an update, it appears the GC2 was completely incorrect. I was on a trackman this weekend, and my current 5 iron which is shafted with a dynalite gold xp s300 which is a high launching shaft to begin with and my 5 iron is at 26 degrees.
                            When i was trying to rip it i was launching it at 14 with about 5500 spin SS 90 carry 185 on average. What surprised me quite a bit though, is when i was taking smooth relaxed swings my swing speed didnt really drop at all, launch angle stayed about the same however my spin dropped to about 5100 and my carry went close to 190.
                            Now I just need to force myself to take smooth swings

Comment

Good. Relaxed swing likely meant you were hitting it more "pure" so your smash factor went up (i.e. more on the sweet spots so ball speed higher with same swing speed) so the ball went further. 400 rpms won't make too much differnce in carry in a static environment with a 5 iron.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X