No announcement yet.
Collapse

My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

Originally posted by LongLefty View Post
    Let the guy be happy.. No need to rain on his parade.

That's right, he got his 5 posts in and straight to the BST

Comment

Anyone have Accra shafts? Looking to get some feedback. I was fitted for the iCWT 85 M3 shafts. Thanks

Comment

I went to Modern Golf about a month ago for a hybrid shaft fitting. It was my first time at MG and I had a great experience. I have an Anser 20 degree hybrid and I wanted to get a heavier shaft as I wanted more control/better dispersion, although I went in with an open mind. Admittedly, I was using a Ping G 19 degree as my comparison club head when hitting different shafts, but the feel/distance was very similar to my Anser.

I was fit into an Accra FX300 H M5 shaft after going through a number of 85+ gram hybrid shafts. The AD DI 95X and the FX300 M5 were giving me nearly identical numbers, feel was about the same (I have a smooth swing and steep attack angle) but the Accra was significantly less expensive. I got the club back in about a week and so far my experience on course matches the fitting performance.

I'm seriously considering upgrading to the FX300 fairway shaft based on the performance of my hybrid shaft. Really impressed with Accra and MG.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Seeker View Post
          I just pinged up my new pings from MG and MG did not do any of the assembling, Even the upgraded shafts were installed by Ping.
          You went just for the OEM fitting program then? I can assure you that they checked all of the specs before you picked up the clubs. I bet there arent any other retailers that do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
            You went just for the OEM fitting program then? I can assure you that they checked all of the specs before you picked up the clubs. I bet there arent any other retailers that do that.
            You'd bet wrong. GT checked my G25's before I picked them up. I would bet that ANY other retailer would do it for customers that build relationships with them. Don't get me wrong, I think MG is a fantastic place for good players who can truly benefit from the services they offer, but there's nothing magic to the place. Higher cost = greater lever of service. Seems simple to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilseeth View Post
              Anyone have Accra shafts? Looking to get some feedback. I was fitted for the iCWT 85 M3 shafts. Thanks
              I do. Check my profile. I use the Dymatch 2.0 in my woods and iSeries in my irons. I hear great things about the new iron shafts, AND they're Canadian!

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                You'd bet wrong. GT checked my G25's before I picked them up. I would bet that ANY other retailer would do it for customers that build relationships with them. Don't get me wrong, I think MG is a fantastic place for good players who can truly benefit from the services they offer, but there's nothing magic to the place. Higher cost = greater lever of service. Seems simple to me.
                Don't ever recall seeing any equipment in GT thats capable of checking swingweights and flex? I've been wrong before though........
                Last OEM set I bought contained a variety of swingweights and flexes.

Comment

Don't ever recall seeing any equipment in GT thats capable of checking swingweights and flex? I've been wrong before though........

Usually under one of the counters, but they are there.

Comment

I always check swing weights of clubs at GT. I've only done it at 2 locations (1 by work and 1 by home) but they both have the old school pendulum scales and have always been relatively accurate. Last few times I have had work done at MG they check the SW while i'm going over the work I want done and it has always been in the same ball park as GT but more accurate as it's digital.

Mind you I went a few weeks back to the GT heartland location and asked one of the kids if I could check the SW on my driver and he had literally no clue what swingweight was and did not know they even had a scale to check until I pointed it out to him. One of the senior guys there was stunned that I knew what I was talking about and was adamant that shortening my driver was a huge mistake. I have played my driver at 44.5 and D2-D2.5 for years.....it came out at D6 and 45.25!

There are alot of knowledgeable employees at GT but a good chunk are just trying to sell the latest and greatest to the average joe. The guys at MG are awesome and have always provided me with great customer service.....and the reminds me that I need to get my 915 hotmelted and should give them a call lol
                    TSR3 8* w/ Ventus Black 6x 44.5"
                    300 Mini Driver 11.5* w/ Ventus Blue TR 7s @ 43"
                    Stealth 2+ 17.25* w/ Ventus Blue 7s 42.5"
                    Titleist TSR2 21* w/ Tour AD DI 85s
                    ZX7 4-pw modus 120s
                    Raw SM9 50* 08F
                    Raw SM9 55* 13D
                    Cleveland HB soft premier 8 33”

Comment

Well I had my Modern Golf fitting today, this may be a lengthy post but figured just to add to the thread not create my own.

I had Justin as the fitter (Justin if you read this great job today).

They checked all my clubs before we started for flex and swing weights, my Ping G25 from Ping were all well speced and no issues here, my other clubs are older so they were off.

We started with irons and I hit the Titleist AP1, Srixon something, Callaway Apex, Taylormade M2, and Ping I. My current set is Ping G25 short 1/2" red dot with R shaft. I hit my own clubs well and a small draw. I hit a 6 iron (my 6 iron) I believe 86MPH and 175 carry. The best club for me was the Ping I which I also hit at 86MPH but was hitting them 185 yards carry. The shaft was Project X in 6.0 which I think was either S or XS, not sure Im a little on the clueless side with all the shafts options I left it all to the fitter. So went from R shafts to I believe XS and an incredibly tight grouping.

Next we hit driver. My driver swing speed is 106MPH~ and I was carrying between 240-260 depending on strike (My driver is weak part of my game). I have a Callaway something driver in R shaft. We tested Ping LS Tec, Callaway XR (maybe the pro as well), Callaway Great Big Bertha, and Taylormade M2. (I asked at the end why we didnt hit Titleist and Justin said I was hitting the GBB really well and the titleist wouldnt fit my swing). The best club for me was the Callaway GBB with a Fuji Pro 63G in X Flex. So again from R flex to X Flex. I was carrying I believe 260-275 with a 108MPH swing. I was only able to get the GBB up to 108, none of the other drivers got up to 108MPH. We also tested a Speeder shaft which produced very similar numbers. The Ping Driver I was hitting a lot of pulls.

At this point I can feel getting tired and hungry lol, don't go to this with a small breakfast :crazy:

We hit 3W next. I hit my 3W (an old junker, no name basically) 210-220 with 101MPH swing. We didnt hit to many 3W as we spent a lot of time on irons and driver. I believe we only hit the Callaway XR and Ping G. Callaway XR was a bullet and small draw to straight flight. Also fitted in the Fuji Pro with 73g X Flex. I actually hit a lot of these, and we tried between the Accra something shaft (It was red and yellow) and the Fuji Pro. I was able to get 103MPH~ SS with it and carry I believe was 230 yards rolling to about 255 yards. The 3W would be almost as long as the driver.

Then we moved on to hybrids. Can feel more tired now, probably 3+ hours of hitting balls now, really hungry now too lol. I hit two clubs again here after hitting my own club. My 4H is about 195-205 yards carry. I wasnt hitting it well though and blocked them all which is not normal, I usually hook my hybrid. We tried the Titleist 4H and Callaway XR 4H. The Callaway sounded better to me, but was only getting 195-205 yards carry with I believe 94MPH~. The Titleist in a stock shaft (not sure what it was, it was white and red, I believe X again) I was able to get closer to 220 yards carry with same swing speed.

That wrapped up clubs and we did some putter testing. I thought we would do putter testing in some fancy room with numbers of loft and etc, but it was just done with a board and chalk line. We were basically at 4 hours when we started putter testing as well. I only tested two putters here, and not sure if I would settle on anything at this point. I have a Ping Anser putter now so maybe just work with what I have to get better with it. I was kind of hoping to test a bunch of putters as I was considering replacing my putter, but I understand we ran out of time. I for some reason was also under the impression they had some fancy device to measure putting stroke and what not to recommend putters for you (was at the Mississauga location). This was probably the only part of the fitting I wasnt really impressed with, and perhaps its because we had no more time.

Overall, great fitting and everything went really well. I probably will replace my 3W and 4H first and then driver and then irons.

Comment

Do they provide a check mark on a piece of paper or provide variable data on each club measured, so you can see the variability club to club? To what extend is the club data documented and is it reported as variable or attribute?
                        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

I know the two GT(Laird/Etobicoke) I went to in the past had cpm meters and quality swingweight scales, but it's been a while since I had the need to have a club checked.
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Actually I tried several different heads and shafts. What specs are you talking about. Ending up get Ping I with Nippons.
                            "The Older I Get...
                            The Longer My Drives Used To Be."
                            Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
                              Usually under one of the counters, but they are there.
                              Yes, and not every employee knows how to use them, or even what the damn things are for, but some do. That's were the relationship building comes in to play. Although I'm friendly with them all, one guy at GT Barrie orders all my clubs, and one guy works on them after the fact. Both have delivered to MY expectations. I'm an 18. If I were a 3, I may have different expectations, and would foot the additional cost to meet them.

Comment

I always check swing weights of clubs at GT. I've only done it at 2 locations (1 by work and 1 by home) but they both have the old school pendulum scales and have always been relatively accurate. Last few times I have had work done at MG they check the SW while i'm going over the work I want done and it has always been in the same ball park as GT but more accurate as it's digital.
                                No biggie. You might get D1.7 with the digital instead of D2 but that's peanuts.
                                I swingweight point= 2grams
                                A dime weighs 1.8 grams
                                Last edited by Tintin; May 18, 2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X