Collapse

Single Length Irons? Interesting Read

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Length Irons? Interesting Read

[QUOTE=airhead;1563951]>Setup #1- I assembled all 3 clubs at 8 iron length (36.5inch), Shaft KBS Tour 90.
    >results: 7 iron carry 145y, iron 6 and 5, carried 2 to 3 yards longer. My ball flight was much lower than expected. I suspect the reduced club head speed due to the shorter club length plus lower loft caused the lower ball flight and lost of distance. QUOTE

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the reason you're hitting much lower is because the 2 sets have different lofts. Don't go by the number on the club- Go with the loft.

The lofts of your 560mc Wishon are as follows:
    7 iron loft 35*
    6 iron loft 31*
    5 iron loft 27*

Now the Sterlings:
    7 iron 31*
    6 iron 27
    5 iron 23*

If you want to compare do it with 560MC 5 iron vs the Sterling 6 iron.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by airhead View Post
      First I want to say, Tom Wishon products are great, I use them for many years. SL clubs sound like a fun project to try, has many POST already indicated this is not for everyone. Here is some notes from my personal testing, I will probably try different setup later this fall, for now it's time to play golf :-)
      Hey, thanks so much for this extensive report - much appreciated and thanked.
      So, combining your experience, with some other, sort of negative writeups on SL practical usage, I am starting to doubt the SL method. It still makes perfect sense to me from the "mechanical/simplicity" sense, but the actual performance seems to be all over the place for different people. And i certainly would not risk hundreds of dollars on something like this, just to test it, lol.
      Cheers !
      Last edited by veryold1; Aug 19, 2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tintin;1563970]
        Originally posted by airhead View Post
        >Setup #1- I assembled all 3 clubs at 8 iron length (36.5inch), Shaft KBS Tour 90.
        >results: 7 iron carry 145y, iron 6 and 5, carried 2 to 3 yards longer. My ball flight was much lower than expected. I suspect the reduced club head speed due to the shorter club length plus lower loft caused the lower ball flight and lost of distance. QUOTE

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the reason you're hitting much lower is because the 2 sets have different lofts. Don't go by the number on the club- Go with the loft.

The lofts of your 560mc Wishon are as follows:
        7 iron loft 35*
        6 iron loft 31*
        5 iron loft 27*

Now the Sterlings:
        7 iron 31*
        6 iron 27
        5 iron 23*

If you want to compare do it with 560MC 5 iron vs the Sterling 6 iron.

Good luck
        Well aware of the difference in loft, I basically report results of
        hitting a 7 iron with 6 iron loft at same speed of 8 iron club lenght. From my point of view I expect comparable carry distance with a standard 7 iron.
        The woods are full of long drivers ~ Harvey Penick

Driver: Wishon 919Thi, 35"
        Wood: Adams Speedline 5,
        Irons: Wishon 560mc 5-AW
        Wedges: CG14, 52aw-56sw-60lw
        Putter: Guerin Rife, straight shaft

Comment

[QUOTE=airhead;1564205]
          Originally posted by Tintin View Post

Well aware of the difference in loft, I basically report results of
          hitting a 7 iron with 6 iron loft at same speed of 8 iron club lenght. From my point of view I expect comparable carry distance with a standard 7 iron.

How do you measure carry? Simulator? What about total distance on the course( carry and roll)?

Comment

Just did a small adjustment to one of my players SL Sterling set. He too was a little troubled with - how he described as long irons now feeling too short. So we added slightly less than 1/2 inch to his 4,5,6 and 7 irons - so now has a 2 stage SL set.

Report back indicated that everything now felt right. Stated to me that he cannot see going back to standard lengths and lies ever again. His set is built on ACCRA Prototype 105g constant weight - PW shafts - then stiffened another inch more. Strong player with a low HC.

This is his first set in graphite and absolutely loves the feel of the ACCRA and the Sterling head. Distance loss due to SL - none.
            Regards
            Dan

True Length Technology TM
            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
            True Frequency Technology TM
            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
            - Master
            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
            - Advanced / Professional
            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
            - Class 'A'

Comment

[QUOTE=airhead;1563951

When time permit I will have a few low handicap player try my 3 SL clubs, I will share these results later.[/QUOTE]

This is from Tom Wishon.....

We see the Sterling irons as being a possible consideration for golfers with a handicap from 7 and higher, for golfers with a current 5 iron clubhead speed of 85mph or lower, for golfers who struggle to hit their #3, 4, 5, 6 irons consistently well, and for golfers who simply suffer from overall inconsistency with the irons.........

I built mine ( both Pinhawks and Sterlings) at 37".

I had no distance loss or gapping issues with either set.

The Pinhawk SLH hybrids are now available. They have same specs as the irons for a perfect blended set.

Folks lets be real. Blades are not for everyone, big berthas are not for everyone
              Single Length are not for everyone either.

This is my pitch....

Identical feel from iron to iron
              Identical function from iron to iron enhancing length, distance and dispersion control
              Identical setup from iron to iron.
              Identical swing from iron to iron
              Identical ball position from iron to iron
              Identical stance from iron to iron
              More on center hits
              Less fat shots
              Less thin shots
              Improved feel and play-ability
              Final result – More Consistency and Improved scoring
              Most important – More fun and easier golf!

If you are happy with a progressive set then I suggest TLT. You will experience many of the above advantages and your mind will be at ease.

If you are still looking for the above you are likely a mid to high handicap player and SL will likely work well for you if you have an open mind and give them a chance.

As I had mentioned in previous posts there was very little adjustment for me and I am a mid handicap player.
              JIM
              Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
              TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
              Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

IMHO only, and based on somewhat "confused" status of SL irons ATM, as even demonstrated in this thread, I would venture to guess that major club makers may not offer them any time soon, no ?
                cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
                  IMHO only, and based on somewhat "confused" status of SL irons ATM, as even demonstrated in this thread, I would venture to guess that major club makers may not offer them any time soon, no ?
                  cheers !
                  I haven't seen anything about the big OEMs making a move towards SLT.

However, if you want to try a set with minimal cash outlay keep your eyes on the various used club sites. DeChambeau may be ready to sell his set about now...
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

However, if you want to try a set with minimal cash outlay keep your eyes on the various used club sites. DeChambeau may be ready to sell his set about now...
                    Except that it maybe impossible for this old brain to remember the individual names/lofts for each of his irons, lol
                    cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Probably speculation that that Cobra set they made for DeChambeau is going to come to market. I wouldn't be surprised if it did but would be a very risky move for sure.
                      Cobra Fly-Z - stock Stiff Matrix, playing at 44 inches
                      Snake Eyes Tour Viper 3 wood, 2 hybrid.
                      Maltby Ke4 Tour irons, 4,6,8,P - Integra i-drive stiff
                      Powerbilt 52 degree
                      Snake Eyes 60 degree
                      Seemore FGP

Irons and woods fitted by Dan's Custom Golf Shop

Comment

Jim, can you comment on the gapping of the Pinhawks vs the Wishons? They seem to differ in their loft gapping with the Sterlings having 5 degree on top and 4 degree in the low irons and the opposite in the Pinhawks which match what Bryson does.

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
                        This is from Tom Wishon.....

We see the Sterling irons as being a possible consideration for golfers with a handicap from 7 and higher, for golfers with a current 5 iron clubhead speed of 85mph or lower, for golfers who struggle to hit their #3, 4, 5, 6 irons consistently well, and for golfers who simply suffer from overall inconsistency with the irons.........

I built mine ( both Pinhawks and Sterlings) at 37".

I had no distance loss or gapping issues with either set.

The Pinhawk SLH hybrids are now available. They have same specs as the irons for a perfect blended set.

Folks lets be real. Blades are not for everyone, big berthas are not for everyone
                        Single Length are not for everyone either.

This is my pitch....

Identical feel from iron to iron
                        Identical function from iron to iron enhancing length, distance and dispersion control
                        Identical setup from iron to iron.
                        Identical swing from iron to iron
                        Identical ball position from iron to iron
                        Identical stance from iron to iron
                        More on center hits
                        Less fat shots
                        Less thin shots
                        Improved feel and play-ability
                        Final result – More Consistency and Improved scoring
                        Most important – More fun and easier golf!

If you are happy with a progressive set then I suggest TLT. You will experience many of the above advantages and your mind will be at ease.

If you are still looking for the above you are likely a mid to high handicap player and SL will likely work well for you if you have an open mind and give them a chance.

As I had mentioned in previous posts there was very little adjustment for me and I am a mid handicap player.
                        Powerbilt 52 degree
                        Snake Eyes 60 degree
                        Seemore FGP

Comment

Originally posted by spiderml View Post
                          Jim, can you comment on the gapping of the Pinhawks vs the Wishons? They seem to differ in their loft gapping with the Sterlings having 5 degree on top and 4 degree in the low irons and the opposite in the Pinhawks which match what Bryson does.
                          Wishons lower loft clubs have ''spring faces'' Pinhawks don't therefore they have stronger lofts.
                          Here is why:
                          http://wishongolf.com/designs/sets/s...le-length-set/
                          with high COR #5, 6, and 7 irons offer proper distance for the low loft clubs at the shorter single length. Other single length sets may lose distance with the low loft clubs.

Comment

Wishons lower loft clubs have ''spring faces'' Pinhawks don't therefore they have stronger lofts.
                            Here is why:
                            with high COR #5, 6, and 7 irons offer proper distance for the low loft clubs at the shorter single length. Other single length sets may lose distance with the low loft clubs.
                            Both companies conducted extensive testing to come up with the lofts for their heads. The Pinhawks released in JANUARY of this year are the result of their testing. All lofts were changed to fine tune gapping.

I need to build another set of Pinhawks and do a side by side test myself, but I have to put some faith in both of these companies.
                            JIM
                            Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
                            TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
                            Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

I think the spring faces help with launch but the issue with loft gapping is what I'm asking about. Bryson uses loft gaps similar to what Pinhawk's (4 in high loft, 5 in low loft) provide but Wishon has more traditional lofting (5 in high loft, 4 in low loft). I would imagine this results in slightly different gapping. Of course one could argue that relative amateurs (especially myself) shouldn't be too concerned with 1 degree of loft changes anyways, which would be totally fair. I currently play 8 degree loft gaps through my bag so 4 or 5 would still give me tighter gappings than what I'm used to.

Here is why:
                              Powerbilt 52 degree
                              Snake Eyes 60 degree
                              Seemore FGP

Comment

@Veryold

The following was posted on Shoptalk. He backweighted(counterweighted) 36 grams his SL irons with great success

Hi All:
                                I made myself a set 4 through pitching wedge, 37" long.
                                I hit my wedge, nine, 8 irons fat.
                                My 4 and 5 irons we're better, but much lower than my previous set.
                                My previous set was back weighted so I thought I would put weights on these to see if it would help.
                                My previous 37 inch club had a 36 gram weight so I put a 36 gram weight in all my new set, and tried them on the range yesterday, what a difference no fat hits, 4 and 5 irons went higher than before.

I put them in my bag and played with them today, I think that they will be in my bag from now on.
                                I am 81 years old and the longest iron in my bag was a 6-iron the rest were hybrids but with the new shorter lengths of the 4 & 5 irons are so much easier to hit, they may be in there to stay.
                                If any of you have built these, care to comment on your experience, good or bad?
                                Bob

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X