X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Length Irons? Interesting Read

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
    @Veryold
    The following was posted on Shoptalk. He backweighted(counterweighted) 36 grams his SL irons with great success
    Hey Tintin, i'm "only" 72 years young now, but feel like an 81 on most days, lol. But still, there is hope for this old geezer to play few more years, and with SL irons next season, hopefully.

Anyway, thanks for your info, so much appreciated and thanked !

Just few questions, if i may:
    1. Did he build his set with "genuine" SL heads or "modified" his conventional set ?
    2. He added 36 grams to the already regularly weighted head ?
    3. Wonder the method he used to add 36 grams to the heads ?

Again, many thanks and cheers
    Last edited by veryold; Nov 15, 2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
      Hey Tintin, i'm "only" 72 years young now, but feel like an 81 on most days, lol. But still, there is hope for this old geezer to play few more years, and with SL irons next season, hopefully.

Anyway, thanks for your info, so much appreciated and thanked !

Just few questions, if i may:
      1. Did he build his set with "genuine" SL heads or "modified" his conventional set ?
      2. He added 36 grams to the already regularly weighted head ?
      3. Wonder the method he used to add 36 grams to the heads ?

Again, many thanks and cheers
      He build himself a Pinhawk set. H
      e added 36 grams to the butt of the club. Commonly called backweighting or counterweighting. Many ways to do it. Lead tape underneath the grip. Overize 80 gram grip. Tour locks. 2 corks with lead powder Could also be a carriage bolt with nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
        He build himself a Pinhawk set. H
        e added 36 grams to the butt of the club. Commonly called backweighting or counterweighting. Many ways to do it. Lead tape underneath the grip. Overize 80 gram grip. Tour locks. 2 corks with lead powder Could also be a carriage bolt with nuts
        Aaahhh, thanks for clarification.
        Sorry for all these questions, but what was/is the purpose of adding all this weight to the grip side of the club ? Many grip companies go the extra mile to make grips as light as possible, no ? BUT he mentioned that after this mod, he started to hit them so much better. I'm totally intrigued.

Comment

Sorry for all these questions, but what was/is the purpose of adding all this weight to the grip side of the club ? Many grip companies go the extra mile to make grips as light as possible, no ? BUT he mentioned that after this mod, he started to hit them so much better. I'm totally intrigued.
          Does not work for everyone. Apparently Garcia does it and so did Nicklaus.
          Read on if interested: http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2012/10/a...ounterweights/

Comment

Bryson Dechambeau on SL

In this video Pete and Wayne get special permission to do an Amateur Golf Club Review on the COBRA KING F7 ONE LENGTH irons!! As used by Bryson Dechambeau. T...
            JIM
            Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
            TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
            Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

@Veryold again. This might confuse or explain what counterbalancing does

Comment

Golf Spy latest article on SL:

Check out the Edel:

Comment

The Edels look great, could see myself using them.

as for the Fad vs Trend comment in the article, South of the border they have been out and selling like hot cakes for a few years now with no signs of letting up. More and more component companies are producing models and now after a few years of analyzing the trend , we have a few OEM's jumping on board which further legitimizes the concept IMO. So I'd say well beyond Fad status.

Not the first time OEM's have followed the component world, Square , triangular drivers, interchangeable shafts, adjustable hosels, using high end ( not made for) shafts in clubs, wide soled irons, back weighting , customized builds , etc etc all started in the component world components.
                  Last edited by Weirfan; Apr 20, 2017, 03:08 PM.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I am in the middle of experimenting a little bit with this with a driver I put back into play yesterday, I changed the weight in the head of my 910 to a little heavier weight and I hitting it the best I have ever hit that driver except I was missing a little feel of the overall weight, the extra weight was helping me feel the head weight more and dropping into the slot better but all I want is to have a little more feel of the whole club in sense , the little extra butt weight will also slow the hands down a bit , most likely a subtle 10-15 gram weight
                    Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                    Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                    Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                    Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                    Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                    Pro V1x Left Dash
                    Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                    Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

• Tutelman's experiment with Single length clubs:

Personal experience with a set of Pinhawk single-length irons

Comment

• Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                        Tutelman's experiment with Single length clubs:

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/singleLength3.php
                        excellent read, thanks for posting. Tuttleman's work is second to none. Despite the naysayers SL has continues to do well. 10 years ago one company sold the concept now there several companies selling SL components as well as one OEM. Bryson won his first PGA event using them.

not a panacea , fix all but a nice option to those looking to add more consistency to their game.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Just finished doing a senior set for one of my customers and his response was - increased distance, more solid contact due to the reduced lengths and overall a more enjoyable round as well as dropped a couple of strokes. This guy is 75 and this is his first full custom set.

I've built drivers and fairways for this guy before and those are still in the bag.
                          Regards
                          Dan

True Length Technology TM
                          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                          True Frequency Technology TM
                          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                          - Master
                          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                          - Advanced / Professional
                          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                          - Class 'A'