Poor Man Fitting + Gained ~ 25 Yards

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor Man Fitting + Gained ~ 25 Yards

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
    Sorry about my wrong info on COR. With your info, I better start looking for a highest COR driver available - you never know, maybe my lifetime goal of 240 yards drive is still possible
    Thanks and cheers !
    That or have it shaved
    https://www.worldshottestdrivers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      The longest drives I ever hit were about 15 years ago with my favourite driver, a TM360 which got stolen. I think there was just something about that particular combination of face/loft/shaft/weighting/etc. that was a great fit.
      IR at $34 each, buy two of em with same specs (shaft, flex, length). Play 1 stock and put a used 460cc quality head on the other one. Then see if you gain even more distance ... you can thanks me later

I'm not convinced if I/we spent $150 on a fitting, picked out the optimal $600 shaft and $500 head, then placed an order ... that I would get the same results as we did during the fitting process. This concern is only with driver fitting. I've been burned on two expensive Ping drivers which didn't match the fitting cart, and the heads were hand picked and digitally lofted by their tour dept. Not sure why, maybe manufacturing tolerances, but the above was an expensive lessons learned which didn't yield a playable driver

With his previous driver and downwind, FB once drove the green on a non-dogleg 370 yard par 4. With his XTD Ti, maybe a 400 yard par 4 is reachable for a once in a lifetime shot.

With the Poor Man Fitting + $100 (not > $1,000) with a known (and loved) 10 year old shaft, we are way ahead of the game
      Last edited by TourIQ; Apr 27, 2016, 11:24 PM.
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
        IR at $34 each, buy two of em with same specs (shaft, flex, length). Play 1 stock and put a used 460cc quality head on the other one. Then see if you gain even more distance ... you can thanks me later

I'm not convinced if I/we spent $150 on a fitting, picked out the optimal $600 shaft and $500 head, then placed an order ... that I would get the same results as we did during the fitting process. This concern is only with driver fitting. I've been burned on two expensive Ping drivers which didn't match the fitting cart, and the heads were hand picked and digitally lofted by their tour dept. Not sure why, maybe manufacturing tolerances, but the above was an expensive lessons learned which didn't yield a playable driver

With his previous driver and downwind, FB once drove the green on a non-dogleg 370 yard par 4. With his XTD Ti, maybe a 400 yard par 4 is reachable for a once in a lifetime shot.

With the Poor Man Fitting + $100 (not > $1,000) with a known (and loved) 10 year old shaft, we are way ahead of the game
        He sounds like a beast, you and him should come down to the annual Dundas Valley excursion. I'd love to play with him and see him smoke some drives, I've always loved the long ball (maybe it's because I can't get there myself :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
          He sounds like a beast, you and him should come down to the annual Dundas Valley excursion. I'd love to play with him and see him smoke some drives, I've always loved the long ball (maybe it's because I can't get there myself :P)
          Thanks for the invite, but we play the KW to Bruce county corridor, to minimize time away from family. FB stands 5'10" so not a beast, but he does have a super fast swing and technically sound mechanics with no instruction. His younger brother had more natural talent but rarely played.

Duane plays 10 to 12 games a season with no practice and can still break par, and I get in 6 or 7 rounds, so we are both a tad rusty. I know it's long when my eyes are not good enough in older age to see it land

Comment

Thanks for the invite, but we play the KW to Bruce county corridor, to minimize time away from family. FB stands 5'10" so not a beast, but he does have a super fast swing and technically sound mechanics with no instruction. His younger brother had more natural talent but rarely played.

Duane plays 10 to 12 games a season with no practice and can still break par, and I get in 6 or 7 rounds, so we are both a tad rusty. I know it's long when my eyes are not good enough in older age to see it land
            Harry, I invited you last year and got the same answer and now my son Chris did as well. Strange.
            In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
            Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
            PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
            TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
            Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
            TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
              Harry, I invited you last year and got the same answer and now my son Chris did as well. Strange.
              Sorry Bob (and Chris), inside Ontario last season I only managed to play 3-1/2 games last season (pitiful), and I didn't have spare time to play with several others who asked.

Comment

Great to hear of FB's further gains !

I've been golfing with a bunch of guys Tuesdays in a "league" for many years. There are a couple guys in that group whom I have told they are leaving 20-30+ yards on the table with their driver. You can just see & feel the speed/power, but nothing but high spinny balloons. I've advised a few times to consider to go have a fitting, but none have gone through the process.
                🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
                Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I posted my stats in another thread. I got it done today and I've gained 50 yards. Now it's a piercing bomb instead of a long fly ball

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
                    I posted my stats in another thread. I got it done today and I've gained 50 yards. Now it's a piercing bomb instead of a long fly ball
                    Frickin WOW ... AWESOME. What model of head and shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                      Great to hear of FB's further gains !

I've been golfing with a bunch of guys Tuesdays in a "league" for many years. There are a couple guys in that group whom I have told they are leaving 20-30+ yards on the table with their driver. You can just see & feel the speed/power, but nothing but high spinny balloons. I've advised a few times to consider to go have a fitting, but none have gone through the process.
                      Andy I've always claimed the driver is the only club in the bag which is a hard club to fit, the remaining 13 clubs are relatively easy.

Almost all drivers today in recent years (past decade) are 460 cc, made to legal limit of COR, same stock length within +/- 3/4 inch, etc., yet there is another 20-30 yards for many players depending on your speed/power.

Borrowed for the night from work, I once used a cheap COR machine to hand pick some Ti 454 driver heads for the boys. I used an ultrasonic thickness gauge to measure wall thickness over the face of the driver. I figured it would have a strong + correlation to COR

It gets tiresome and expensive to know the shaft and model of head, order the driver, and then it does not replicate the demo club. It makes a fitting almost useless

Comment

Frickin WOW ... AWESOME. What model of head and shaft?
                        Ping 9deg ls tec with a 80tour stiff shaft.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X