12* wood vs. 12* driver of the tee ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12* wood vs. 12* driver of the tee ?

Hi all
    Probably another one of my nonsensical questions, but i was wondering about your opinions/comments on using a strong 3 wood vs. a driver, having same lofts, say 12* of the tee ?

Re: 12* wood vs. 12* driver of the tee ?

A question for Henrik Stenson...

Comment

How about a cutting down the shaft of your driver to a 3wood length? My buddy who plays to a 9 hcp did just that. He hasn't lost any length either and he's hitting more fairways. You'll get the easier to swing, shorter shaft of a 3wood and the bigger sweetspot of a driver?

Unless you plan on using that strong 3wood on the fairway as well and for some, getting the ball up with that 12-13 degree off the deck might be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by TORAIDER View Post
        Actually Stenson 2 wood started me thinking on this

Originally posted by Carlton View Post
        How about a cutting down the shaft of your driver to a 3wood length? My buddy who plays to a 9 hcp did just that. He hasn't lost any length either and he's hitting more fairways. You'll get the easier to swing, shorter shaft of a 3wood and the bigger sweetspot of a driver?
        Unless you plan on using that strong 3wood on the fairway as well and for some, getting the ball up with that 12-13 degree off the deck might be tough.
        Do you know if he added any weight to the shortened driver of his ?
        Thanks !

Comment

Consider a mini driver -> SLDR Mini, Aeroburner Mini, Big Bertha Mini, or Callaway 3Deep or 5Deep.

Shameless Plug: I have a mint Aeroburner Mini 14 degree in BST for $125 shipped, but with Stiff shaft, and know you are a Regular.
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
            Consider a mini driver -> SLDR Mini, Aeroburner Mini, Big Bertha Mini, or Callaway 3Deep or 5Deep.

Shameless Plug: I have a mint Aeroburner Mini 14 degree in BST for $125 shipped, but with Stiff shaft, and know you are a Regular.
            Hey, thanks for the suggestion and the offer, much appreciated !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
              Hi all
              Probably another one of my nonsensical questions, but i was wondering about your opinions/comments on using a strong 3 wood vs. a driver, having same lofts, say 12* of the tee ?
              Having used both, I can say this. The 12* driver was sky high and relatively straight, but short on distance. The 2 wood was a disaster. Most seem to have a low and forward CG, catering to better players looking for that low piercing tragectory. Not good for average swing speed guys like me. The lessor learned from all this? Take leassons, and learn to hit my 10.5 degree f'ing driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                Having used both, I can say this. The 12* driver was sky high and relatively straight, but short on distance. The 2 wood was a disaster. Most seem to have a low and forward CG, catering to better players looking for that low piercing tragectory. Not good for average swing speed guys like me. The lessor learned from all this? Take leassons, and learn to hit my 10.5 degree f'ing driver.
                and thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
                  Do you know if he added any weight to the shortened driver of his ?
                  Thanks !
                  Yes he did. He had to put a bit of lead tape on the head to keep it at D3 swingweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlton View Post
                    Yes he did. He had to put a bit of lead tape on the head to keep it at D3 swingweight.
                    Aaahhh, THANK you so much for this, really appreciated

Comment

I always struggled with driver off the tee and decided a few years ago to buy a strong 3 wood. I ended up picking up a tour edge exotics 13* with a RIP shaft.

I love the club. Obviously there are misses here and there, and when you miss with less loft it is a bit exagerated, but for me, it did what I wanted it to do. I can usually draw or fade the ball with it, and put it out there 290ish.

After I bought it I went and saw matt Kane for a driver lesson and got things straightened out. I hit a high ball, so for me having a 13* 3 wood isn't the worst thing. I still have it in the bag, and have a 7.75* 913 in the bag as well.

I am a natural fader of the ball and struggle drawing the driver......that's where the 3 wood comes in.

In the end, it's all up to you. Go to the range and try them out......compare and see what works best for your swing
                      Titleist 913d3 8.5 with tour ad di 7x
                      Tour Edge Exotics 13 degree cb5
                      Titleist 909H 17 degree
                      Titleist 714 CB with KBS tour X stiff
                      Cleveland rtx 588 black 52, 56, 60
                      Yes Sophia blade putter

Comment

290yrd 3wood... good lord, I feel like a midget golfer. lol

Comment

No kidding. Stenson is the best 3 wood player in the world and he flew it 267-276 all day today
                          WITB:

Driver: Epic Sub Zero (10.5) Fujikura Pro Green 62
                          3 wood: Callaway XR Deep (14) VTS Silver 7
                          5 wood: Callaway X2 Hot Pro (19) VTS Silver 8
                          Hybrid: Ping Anser (20) Recoil Irod 85
                          Iron: Titleist 712u (26) Steelfiber i110
                          Irons: Miura CB-57 (6-PW) Steelfiber i110
                          Wedges: Miura 1957 Y Grind (51) Recoil Proto 125
                          Miura 1957 K Grind (56) Recoil Proto 125
                          Vokey TVD prototype V Grind (61) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
                          Putter: Bettinardi - Inovai

Comment

I carry 2 drivers

45 1/2 inch shaft with 9 degree loft

43 inch shaft (3 wood shaft) with 10 1/2 degree loft

The shorter shaft is quite a bit straighter and much easier to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Club Guru View Post
                              No kidding. Stenson is the best 3 wood player in the world and he flew it 267-276 all day today
                              I was witness to a Par 4 Albatross (double eagle) with a 3W from 269 yards all carry, then a sharp kick to the right to the pin.
                              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X