What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What my TLT set looks like...

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
    ARL67 thanks for sharing the set looks great with those shafts, the only thing I would have changed was BLUE lamkin UTX grips to set-off the blue in the irions.
    All the best achieving par,
    I have the blue UTX on my other set of TLT MP-53 irons.
    I very much like how the white'ish cord on the blue UTX shows through.
    Unfortunately the black UTX has black cord, so the grip appears all-black.
    I personally didn't like the blue UTX up against the Accra black shafts, so stuck with black UTX. Some of the New Decade Multi-Compounds would have looked great too, but I don't like how they wear.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
    Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
    Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
      I have the blue UTX on my other set of TLT MP-53 irons.
      I very much like how the white'ish cord on the blue UTX shows through.
      Unfortunately the black UTX has black cord, so the grip appears all-black.
      I personally didn't like the blue UTX up against the Accra black shafts, so stuck with black UTX. Some of the New Decade Multi-Compounds would have looked great too, but I don't like how they wear.
      100% agree on Larkin wear vs Gpride MC. I only use the lamkins but wish they had more colors.

I do all my irons in blue and woods in black grips
      Last edited by chrish8; May 2, 2017, 10:58 AM.
      In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
      Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
      Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
      Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
      Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
      Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
      Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
      --------
      Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
        100% agree on Larkin wear vs Gpride MC. I only use the lamkins but wish they had more colors.

I do all my irons in blue woods in black grips

?????????
        In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
        Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
        TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
        PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
        TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
        Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

^^^ he forgot a comma
          irons have blue grips
          woods have black grips
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

ARL67, what was the process in your decision on the Accra Tour shafts?

Comment

The choice to go with the Accra graphite was to reduce vibration, and keep ball-flight lower, and still something mid-weight ( 110 ) , ... and they're Canadian !

My previous set has Steelfiber i110CW , which I really liked the feel of too. I still have that set and it will be parked at our summer place up north, so I don't have the schlep clubs back & forth from Waterloo to Owen sound. The other readily available shaft contender are the Recoils, but I never took a shining to them. Accra have a full line of iron graphite shafts in various weights, so I decided to give them a go this time. There other functionally unimportant things that draw us to any product, things like cosmetics, brand name, etc.

Did I have test clubs built and spend time on a LM to get the best "numbers" ? ... the answer is No. I personally don't do well hitting indoors in a hitting bay and am inconsistent from bay outing to outing. Though I did hit many of the latest Mizuno irons over many sessions as my instructor has a full Mizuno fitting cart at my disposal. I liked the JPX-900 Forged best.

The JPX-900 is the first set I have owned with stronger lofts, specifically in the mid & long irons. The stronger lofts would be engineered to fly higher in a given iron to provide one's expected ball flight. I already spent a full season with TLT last year so am conditioned to how a TLT set plays. I am still very rusty with poor ball contact, but have scored pretty well on my 3 outings so far. I need to devote some extensive range time to get my ball contact better and see my distance gappings, but that will require many rounds ..... which I'm happy to do

~ Andy
              Last edited by ARL67; May 1, 2017, 06:46 AM.
              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                [/COLOR][/B]

?????????
                fixed typed it on my cell so made a typo
                In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                --------
                Home Course - Clublink

Comment

My post here is long overdue as I have had my new TLT set at home for several months now. My winter off-season of lessons & Sim' range time did not go as planned as I have been nursing/treating my severe golf/tennis elbow. Golf season is upon us and I'm now back at 'er with 3 rounds under my belt.

To re-cap, my new TLT set started with newly ordered set of JPX-900 Forged 4-GW. I sold off the stock shafts to a fellow TGN'r and had Dan do a TLT build with new Accra Tour 110i graphite shafts. The Accras are also visually a thing of beauty. My photos do not show off the carbon fiber look from the grip down to the first Accra emblem -> very cool ! Dan measures and sorts the shafts before install, and he added some shaft inserts to further help with shock-reduction going to my elbow. My Sand & Lob wedges are a set of NOS Nike VR-Pro that I had been hoarding. Grips are Lamkin UTX mid-size with 1+3 wraps.

My 4 wedges (P,G,S,L) are all the same length.
                  Total length variance from 4i-Wedge is only 1.9"

I tried to lineup my clubs and take pics to show what a TLT build is about.
                  The grip butts are all at the same height -> which is MY natural athletic position. As each club gets slightly longer, the head moves slight further away from you. Dan's build procedure & measurements gets things bent to 2 decimal points accuracy to get the lie angles correct.

I am really pleased with this set and know Dan gave it his best efforts to get them "just right", stating they were as fine a set as he has ever built. I am expecting that this is the iron set, along with continued lessons & improvements, to get me to shoot a round at Par. I came close a couple times last year, and hoping I can get it done this season. Thanks Dan !

Photos do a great job of showing how TLT works. Based on your stealthy, low-70s round last week at Vic East, once you shake off your late-start rust, I'd say par is looking like a strong possibility.
                  WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Dan, and others who know, can you explain TLT to me based on these photos? The OP says there is less than 2 inches in variance between the irons and wedges. I see the SL of the wedges, however, I don't see the difference in the irons. Obviously with only 1.9 inches in variance they have only 0.27 inch differences between each club.

Why does a tighter length distribution promote better contact? It doesn't seem to have the benefits of either a standard progression or a SL progression. Just curious as I have never really understood what TLT means and am genuinely curious.

Chris

Comment

For one Chris your posture/set-up is fairly consistent throughout your irons.

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
                      Dan, and others who know, can you explain TLT to me based on these photos? The OP says there is less than 2 inches in variance between the irons and wedges. I see the SL of the wedges, however, I don't see the difference in the irons. Obviously with only 1.9 inches in variance they have only 0.27 inch differences between each club.

Why does a tighter length distribution promote better contact? It doesn't seem to have the benefits of either a standard progression or a SL progression. Just curious as I have never really understood what TLT means and am genuinely curious.

Chris

Comment

There is plenty of info at Dan's site and here at TGN in this & other threads.

What iron do you hit best ? Or is your favourite iron in the bag ?
                        For me it was always usually an 8-iron. Why have I favoured the 8-iron in most any set I have ever owned, even when I was a real sh*tty golfer ? I believe it is because an 8-iron length club suits my best natural stance & swing mechanics. Now take the rest of your iron set and make them swing like your 8-iron. You will maintain the same swing stance & swing mechanics. The clubs are precisely built to account for the minor length increases/decreases and lie angle changes from club to club.

My pics show that each club handle is the same distance off the ground, hence promoting a "single stance". And you will plainly see that the 4i is longer than the 5, and the 5 is longer than the 6, etc. I told Dan to create my set with only 1.9" from 4i-Wedge. Dan can build whatever you want -> 3" length variance, or 1" length variance, or any variance you fancy. He will calculate the required lie angles ( via a trig' calculation ) to keep all clubs swinging consistently, and will build with a progressive swing-weight scale ( usually 1/2 swingweight per club ) , and they will end up almost MOI-matched as a result to boot.

TLT at the most extreme minimal length variance of 0 inches is Single-Length..
                        But TLT will let you use your own favoured iron heads, instead of a specific SL set of heads ( Pinhawks, Sterlings, etc ). And you still gain the benefits of having "some" length variance in your clubs, where you get to specify the length variance in your build. My first TLT set had 2.25" variance, now I'm 1.9". I don't expect to lose any distance in my longer irons. I have gone TLT to achieve more repeatable consistent solid contact, vs a random / occasional great contact, specifically with my longer irons ( 6,5,4 ).

I also think all wedges the same length is a great idea, whether one is into TLT or not.
                        For me, whether I want to hit a short shot with a Lob, Sand, Gap, or Pitching wedge, I never have to worry about a change in club-feel or setup due to a different length wedge. I now pick a wedge to give me the ball flight / height I want, and the expected rollout based on the club's loft. I now never have to think about a different swing mechanic based on my wedge choice ( unless I really want to flop it or keep it extra low ).
                        Last edited by ARL67; May 2, 2017, 07:40 PM.
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

There is plenty of info at Dan's site and here at TGN in this & other threads.

What iron do you hit best ? Or is your favourite iron in the bag ?
                          For me it was always usually an 8-iron. Why have I favoured the 8-iron in most any set I have ever owned, even when I was a real sh*tty golfer ? I believe it is because an 8-iron length club suits my best natural stance & swing mechanics. Now take the rest of your iron set and make them swing like your 8-iron. You will maintain the same swing stance & swing mechanics. The clubs are precisely built to account for the minor length increases/decreases and lie angle changes from club to club.

My pics show that each club handle is the same distance off the ground, hence promoting a "single stance". And you will plainly see that the 4i is longer than the 5, and the 5 is longer than the 6, etc. I told Dan to create my set with only 1.9" from 4i-Wedge. Dan can build whatever you want -> 3" length variance, or 1" length variance, or any variance you fancy. He will calculate the required lie angles ( via a trig' calculation ) to keep all clubs swinging consistently, and will build with a progressive swing-weight scale ( usually 1/2 swingweight per club ) , and they will end up almost MOI-matched as a result to boot.

TLT at the most extreme minimal length variance of 0 inches is Single-Length..
                          But TLT will let you use your own favoured iron heads, instead of a specific SL set of heads ( Pinhawks, Sterlings, etc ). And you still gain the benefits of having "some" length variance in your clubs, where you get to specify the length variance in your build. My first TLT set had 2.25" variance, now I'm 1.9". I don't expect to lose any distance in my longer irons. I have gone TLT to achieve more repeatable consistent solid contact, vs a random / occasional great contact, specifically with my longer irons ( 6,5,4 ).

I also think all wedges the same length is a great idea, whether one is into TLT or not.
                          For me, whether I want to hit a short shot with a Lob, Sand, Gap, or Pitching wedge, I never have to worry about a change in club-feel or setup due to a different length wedge. I now pick a wedge to give me the ball flight / height I want, and the expected rollout based on the club's loft. I now never have to think about a different swing mechanic based on my wedge choice ( unless I really want to flop it or keep it extra low ).
                          Thanks for that, explains a lot. I had been through the posts and this is the first one that made sense to me. Congrats on the new set!

Comment

The best description lives on my site.
                            The length and lie angle of your golf clubs are 2 primary factors in establishing correct directional control of the golf ball.

and
                            True Length Technology. If you are a clubmaker these are the most accurate charts available. Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea' AGCP. Clubmaker's registry.

The length and lie has 3 pictorials that show the length discrepancies that live in traditional OEM sets.

The TLT page is the Wishon Etech report.

Both are very good reads for anyone looking to understand why I do what I do - This explains everything.

TLT sets are not the same length increment between clubs so your assumption of 0.27 between each club is incorrect.
                            My excel program that Registered Clubmaker's use allows any lie change to correct the math for length, so this is how I can do reduced length sets. The TLT standard has around 2.9 inches total length separation in it's designed form, but with the ability to dial in actual lie angles can reduce this. I have sets that have only 1" of total length difference between the 4 iron to the wedges. This was for someone who liked the idea of single length but could not get use to a 36 1/2 inch 4 iron. So with a 36 1/2 inch wedge and a 37 1/2 inch 4 iron, the traditional look still is partially there, but allowing a far more controlled 4 iron to be part of the build.

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

Chris
                            Last edited by TLT Dan; May 2, 2017, 07:50 PM.
                            Regards
                            Dan

True Length Technology TM
                            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                            True Frequency Technology TM
                            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                            - Master
                            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                            - Advanced / Professional
                            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                            - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                              The best description lives on my site.
                              The length and lie angle of your golf clubs are 2 primary factors in establishing correct directional control of the golf ball.

and
                              True Length Technology. If you are a clubmaker these are the most accurate charts available. Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea' AGCP. Clubmaker's registry.

The length and lie has 3 pictorials that show the length discrepancies that live in traditional OEM sets.

The TLT page is the Wishon Etech report.

Both are very good reads for anyone looking to understand why I do what I do - This explains everything.

TLT sets are not the same length increment between clubs so your assumption of 0.27 between each club is incorrect.
                              My excel program that Registered Clubmaker's use allows any lie change to correct the math for length, so this is how I can do reduced length sets. The TLT standard has around 2.9 inches total length separation in it's designed form, but with the ability to dial in actual lie angles can reduce this. I have sets that have only 1" of total length difference between the 4 iron to the wedges. This was for someone who liked the idea of single length but could not get use to a 36 1/2 inch 4 iron. So with a 36 1/2 inch wedge and a 37 1/2 inch 4 iron, the traditional look still is partially there, but allowing a far more controlled 4 iron to be part of the build.
                              Thank you, I am going to read up on this some more. Seems intriguing.

Comment

Was the best thing to happen to my game.

Then I took lessons from Larry cheung. I'd say they're neck and neck.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X